Paper or Electronic, which will you choose?

OhioJeff

Looks like some will still get to do the traditional doc dance :)

Found this in an article that talked about NCL going with e-docs

Carnival Cruise Lines said it still uses paper documents but is in the process of testing an e-documents system that will let guests choose paper or electronic.

http://www.travelweekly.com/articles.aspx?articleid=5607

I recently did a Royal Caribbean cruise and the agency that I went with used electronic docs. The biggest draw back is that you have NO luggage tags. We drove to Port Canaveral. This means dropping off the luggage and getting out and filling out the luggage tags curbside.

If they had machines like at airport check-in that would produce the luggage tags, it would make things a lot less stressful.

There really is something to receiving your docs via the mail. But I am sure it will be a thing of the past very soon!

Yep, I went with a online agency, one you call in to book and was surprised to get eDocs with RCI. I heard you have to ask for paper docs. The luggage tags were the only draw back I wished I had beforehand. Wound up tipping the guy $2 for one tag to put it on the stack and give me a tag. Didnt trust him to do it for free. In Galveston they are sitting at a desk with the tags inside a big room with luggage.

I pre-print labels that you can make on a computer with all the same info. Then all I have to do is grab the tag - peel and stick - done.

If I don't have enough labels (or forget them) I just put the cabin number in BIG print and the sail date, becuase in my opinion these are the most important and only take a couple seconds to fill in. The bags are just going from the pier to the ship. Adding the date just ensures that the bags don't get diverted to the outbound passengers bagging area (not that I think that is possible - but ANYTHING could happen).

Now getting off you will want to take the time and stop by the pursers desk and get new tags. Especially if you need to put flight info on and such - in case you get seperated from the bag.

I use standard luggage tags on all my bags. For the outgoing I put the information visable that shows my designation, so if I get seperated from my bag it can be delivered. When I get ready to come home I flip the paper tag over and have my home address on that side. That way the bag can make it home.

Putting your home address on the tag when are are leaving doesn't help you. Not only that but it lets a baggage handler know that so and so is not going to be home for at least a couple of days :rolleyes: .

On top of putting on the luggage tags I ALWAYS slip a piece of paper into each bag with all the critical info in case the luggage tag gets torn off.

Better safe than sorry. I have been in a situation where my bag didn't make it. It is not fun. I did all the above but someone wasn't paying attention and that is what caused my problem. Nothing that I have suggested or anyone else suggests would have gotten my bag to me. You just have to do your part and making sure you get your bag. Unfortunately sometime you have to depend on other people to do their part.

We got E with RCI and was really easy . If any tickets are involved you just print them out. We have the name tags on the outside and a paper inside just in case something happens. Last cruise on the Destiny the tag came off at debarkation and had a time finding it. Was in the tagless area with about 25 other bags. They do come off. Another use for some good tape to keep the tag to the bag. Put the tape over the string/tag area makes it stronger and it won't tear out, well it will be harder to tear out.

I recently did a Royal Caribbean cruise and the agency that I went with used electronic docs. The biggest draw back is that you have NO luggage tags.

I hadn't thought of this. Edocs would be great, except for this no luggage tags thing. I don't know why, but I absolutely LOVE filling out those luggage tags! It just makes the upcoming cruise seem more real or something.

I would go for the paper, I would even be willing to pay a bit for it.

My last, and my next two Carnival cruises are Edocs. I actually found out that the TA (one who advertises on this site, so I won't name them) gets a little extra money for using the Edocs, and can offer regular docs if they want but will insist they are not available from Carnival.

It is a hassle to wait in yet another line to get the luggage tags.

Soon these people who give out the luggage tags will find a way to extort money as well.

Edocs all the way! I lose most things that just arrive on paper. To be safe, I scan and file on my computer.

Unlike others, I do not like filling out those luggage tags! I would prefer to print them out on labels and just stick them on at the port. If they move to all edocs, then they should also go to e-labels (at least they can give you the template) - how hard can that be?

It had to happen eventually. it all about the cost . it is cheaper with E-DOCS

So right! E-docs don't save paper: it saves their paper - you still have to print them on your paper. They don't save time: it saves their time - you have to spend your time printing them and getting the tags when you get to the pier.

Its all about cutting costs for the cruise lines, just like the "fun pass" scheme gets you to do their data input for them.

So right! E-docs don't save paper: it saves their paper - you still have to print them on your paper. They don't save time: it saves their time - you have to spend your time printing them and getting the tags when you get to the pier.

Its all about cutting costs for the cruise lines, just like the "fun pass" scheme gets you to do their data input for them.

You dont have to print hem at all, many paeople have cruised w/o docs no big deal

Archived