self disembarkation- do you have to leave as soon as they are called?

Please, no flaming- I did search but couldn't find this question answered.

We'll (2 of us) be on the Explorer Friday, returning to Miami on Wednesday, 5/9, and I'm trying to work out our options for returning from Miami to FLL.

I like the idea of self-disembarkation, but I've seen that it can be called as early as 6:15.

If you do self-disembarkation, can you simply walk off the ship with your luggage later, when they start calling colors?

tia,

Wendy

You are supposed to only go off during the window for self-debarkation if that is what you have chosen to do ... which means being ready to leave early. I'm not sure what happens if you miss the window ....

This is not official cruise line policy, but just my opinion.

I think if you choose the self disembarkation you should leave when those people are called to leave.

The gangways on disembarkation day are crowded usually and people in between the called colour groups lugging their luggage off would only slow down the procedure for all others. I think that´s one of the reason they let those choosen this option disembark first and start calling the rest of the colours once the gangway is clear again. JMHO

The reason that we do self-disembarkation is to get off the ship quickly and not have to wait and wait in the long lines. If you do the self-disembarkation, but don't go right when they call you, then you would be waiting much longer than if you went right away. So, that defeats the purpose then.

I "missed" the window and just walked off later when we were ready. I'm not saying this was the right thing to do, but it wasn't a problem. Our cabin attendant told us we could stay in the room until 8 and didn't bother us.

To me it would be difficult for other passengers to be walking off the ship and having you be carrying your bags. I guess if I were planning to stay on, I wouldn't do self debarkation. The whole point of carrying-off your bags so you can be the first off would be defeated.

Katie

If I were to go on a short cruise, (which I may soon) I would only pack 2 carry ons. I would leave when my steward said I should be out of my room, go and eat leisurely and leave the ship when I was told to, or when the lines were low. For our 12 day, I'll just go with the flow and pick up our bags when told to.

The benefit for me in that case would be me not worrying about my bags being taken by someone else by mistake, and being able to enjoy the ship without causing anyone else undue pressure.

This post will probably go poof too! I must have a scarlet letter on me. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thanks for the many great replies.

I clearly wasn't thinking about hauling luggage through the crowds while the colored tags are being called- that would be both unfair to others and a pain in the neck for us.

What I'm trying to avoid is ending up at FLL at 8am for our noon flight, as there doesn't seem to be a lot to do there.

I think I'll ask for the first or second color tags- those will hopefully get us off the ship around 8 or so.

Any other ideas or suggestions?

thanks again for the input.

happy sailings,

Wendy

This post will probably go poof too! I must have a scarlet letter on me. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

LOL! Poor you, RSS! :o

Any other ideas or suggestions?

thanks again for the input.

happy sailings,

Wendy

Wendy, I did self-debark on Freedom. I asked them specifically if we HAVE to get off at 6:15 a.m. I was told by 3 different people 'no', just that we had to be off the ship between 10:00 and 10:30. But you DO have to be out of your stateroom by 8:00 a.m. So we got up at 7, ate breakfast, then came back for our bags. Then we went to get off the ship and there was only abut 4 people in front of us. We got off the ship, and got right onto our shuttle back to the airport. It was a piece of cake. :)

Archived