Jilted honeymoon help!

Long story short here....I bought my son a honeymoon for a wedding present. They were supposed to go on Enchantment today. After a very nice wedding, it turns out my son has been very irresponsible with very many things and after the car broke down and my husband and I bought last minute air tickets for them and gave our van for them to drive to the airport, he lost the keys! Well, that was the straw that broke the camel's back with my daughter in law and so they are now spending their honeymoon at her mom's house. Needless to say, I was lucky to be able to cancel the last minute air tickets, but I'm out my money on the cruise, $1100. I didn't buy insurance as I've never heard of anyone not going on their honeymoon! So anyone have any ideas as to who I can plead my case to and get at least SOME money back, or is it hopeless?

Long story short here....I bought my son a honeymoon for a wedding present. They were supposed to go on Enchantment today. After a very nice wedding, it turns out my son has been very irresponsible with very many things and after the car broke down and my husband and I bought last minute air tickets for them and gave our van for them to drive to the airport, he lost the keys! Well, that was the straw that broke the camel's back with my daughter in law and so they are now spending their honeymoon at her mom's house. Needless to say, I was lucky to be able to cancel the last minute air tickets, but I'm out my money on the cruise, $1100. I didn't buy insurance as I've never heard of anyone not going on their honeymoon! So anyone have any ideas as to who I can plead my case to and get at least SOME money back, or is it hopeless?

I would call RCL, hope for a rep that has sympathy for you and hopefully you can get some kind of credit towards a future cruise. Then, I would take a deep breath and go and strangle the kid!:eek: Seriously, I am sorry things are so messed up right now but hopefully they will give you 75% cruise credit. Good luck!:)

Sounds like the son is going to be mowing a lot of grass around your house to pay you back. Good luck on getting money back from the cruiseline.

I made a mistake once and booked a cruise on what I thought was the day we were getting back in on another one. It turned out I was a day off. We would still be at sea when it left. No matter how much pleading I did, they would not refund nor let me transfer it to another sailing. I was going to lose the fare ($203 single supplement) so instead of cancelling it and letting Carnival resell the cabin, I added a friend who got to enjoy a nice 5-day cruise for $180.

Dave

Dave

I guess it was just not meant to be. RCCL really doesn't have anything to do with them missing the cruise. Maybe he will become more responsible now that he and his wife have missed out on a free honeymoon. Good luck with RCCL, but they really don't owe you anything. Sorry for your loss.

I think it is a good thing you didn’t have insurance for this one because I don’t think an angry bride is covered! What a mess. :( Good luck with the cruise line.

Isn’t it a shame you were not able to take the cruise instead.

Well, if I had their insurance, I could have got back 75% of what I paid. I can cancel for any reason with that. The other thing I should have done was made arrangements to take the cruise myself if this were to happen! Oh well....live and learn. I think I will write a letter....I can explain things more and hopefully garner up a slight amount of sympathy that way.

Needless to say, I was lucky to be able to cancel the last minute air tickets, but I'm out my money on the cruise, $1100. I didn't buy insurance as I've never heard of anyone not going on their honeymoon! So anyone have any ideas as to who I can plead my case to and get at least SOME money back, or is it hopeless?

Did they receive wedding gifts ($$$$) ... so that they can buy their own tickets to the first port? They would, at the very least, be able to get in some of their honeymoon and you wouldn't "be out" the $1100?

Just a thought ...

he lost the keys! Well, that was the straw that broke the camel's back with my daughter in law and so they are now spending their honeymoon at her mom's house.

Guess the new bride had had enough :(

Well, I am sorry that you lost the $$ on the cruise. Maybe a little time will tell with the new couple.

Good luck to them ! ! !

Did they receive wedding gifts ($$$$) ... so that they can buy their own tickets to the first port? They would, at the very least, be able to get in some of their honeymoon and you wouldn't "be out" the $1100?

Just a thought ...

The first port is Key West tomorow........Im pretty sure there is some maritime law or one like it that prohibits them boarding in the US(after the ship left the US the day before).....

But it would have been a good idea..........

Unfortuately, the cruise lines do not make refunds based on sympathy. :(

So true......but as a public company.......where do you draw the line?

Well, if I had their insurance, I could have got back 75% of what I paid. I can cancel for any reason with that. The other thing I should have done was made arrangements to take the cruise myself if this were to happen! Oh well....live and learn. I think I will write a letter....I can explain things more and hopefully garner up a slight amount of sympathy that way.

I could be wrong on this but with THEIR insurance (RC) you would only recieve a 75% credit towards a future cruise.......which of course is better than nothing......

Ok, let's review b/c I am totally confused. Did they not go on their honeymoon b/c the bride was angry that her groom lost the van keys?:confused:

I also don't see how that could cancel an entire trip. If the bride chose not to go, that's her loss.

Lesson learned: ALWAYS buy insurance...especially when purchasing a cruise for someone else.

Sounds kinda like maybe the bride didn't wanna take a cruise. I just don't understand how losing the van keys would stop MOST from getting there somehow. There is a lot more going on here....

Ok, let's review b/c I am totally confused. Did they not go on their honeymoon b/c the bride was angry that her groom lost the van keys?:confused:

I also don't see how that could cancel an entire trip. If the bride chose not to go, that's her loss.

Lesson learned: ALWAYS buy insurance...especially when purchasing a cruise for someone else.

I think the OP said "long story short" and there were probably a lot of other things that happened before she blew her top.

Viv

I say go for it. All they can say is no. In the best case scenario, you'll get a partial credit for a future cruise. At the worst, nothing.

Take is as a lesson learned about why cruise insurance (and the right kind) is important. You would have needed a cancel for any reason policy to cover this one. Sorry it happened.

Archived