what the heck to do...

MAO

in San Juan from 3pm till 10pm??

We have been there once before and didn't feel it was that safe to be just "wandering around". Now we are going back because we want to do Eastern route again and have no choice but to stop here...WHAT should we do??

PLEASE any help is appriciated! Thanks soooo much.

MAO

You should get to SJ in time to visit one of the forts - El Morro or San Cristobel. You could take a taxi up to El Morro, walk around, then take a free jitney back down to the cruise dock. The jitneys are green buses and do a loop route through Old San Juan. You could also just wander back down stopping in stores and maybe grabbing a bite to eat. We have always felt safe in San Juan. Here is a guided tour you could take (I haven't taken it) but it comes pretty recommended here on the CC boards:

Do a google for the website - can't paste the link here, but it is legends of PR night tales tour.

Do get off the ship and enjoy Old San Juan. It is really a beautiful city.

,Just reading into your attitude on San Juan from your first visit, maybe it makes sense just to stay on the boat. You can wander OSJ freely without any problems. I think the problem is your perception. There is really only 1 area to stay away from and that is not hard to do.

You can still avoid San Juan, which I believe you indicated would be your preference, by just staying on the boat.

If there are things that you would actually like to do, then I'd be happy to help.

We stayed in San Juan for2 nights before our cruise and everyone really liked it. Our group ranged in ages from 20's to 70's. The forts are really nice. Try walking around looking in shops. We really felt safe. My nephews are photographers and did get chased out of an area called LaPerla so just avoid that area and you should be fine.

I have to agree with Big Shy Country's assessment that perhaps you should stay on the ship with your attitude about safety.

Have been to OSJ via cruises a few times and have never felt unsafe there - even on cruises where we spent extra days in SJ. DH & I use the same safety precautions we use when ever we travel (which are the same precautions we use at home).

To put in my own 2 cents: if you feel unsafe in OSJ, then perhaps you should rethink getting off the ship in many, if not most, ports of call in the Caribbean.

Dianne

Well aside from the few suggestions YOUR "attitudes" didn't help me at all!

I posted to see if there was any advice on what to do, NOT to be critiques on "my attitude"!

#1: I am going back to this port, #2: my first experiance there WAS not safe, and #3: I WOULD like to know what we can do! I have been to many ports and have never felt threatened like I did in OSJ, however I want to give it a 2nd try.

elaineb, Have vistited Fort El Morro, and it is beautiful. Thanks for the suggestion. Is there anything else you might suggest?

ckornuta, that was when we ran into trouble, just walking around! Do you think maybe it was circumstances? What else did you do while there?

thank you to those of you who have suggestions and advice on what to do and how to make my experiance in OSJ positive. Thats what cruie critic is all about:)

MAO

I posted to see if there was any advice on what to do, NOT to be critiques on "my attitude"!

#1: I am going back to this port, #2: my first experiance there WAS not safe, and #3: I WOULD like to know what we can do! I have been to many ports and have never felt threatened like I did in OSJ, however I want to give it a 2nd try.

elaineb, Have vistited Fort El Morro, and it is beautiful. Thanks for the suggestion. Is there anything else you might suggest?

ckornuta, that was when we ran into trouble, just walking around! Do you think maybe it was circumstances? What else did you do while there?

thank you to those of you who have suggestions and advice on what to do and how to make my experience in OSJ positive. Thats what cruie critic is all about:)

MAO

I agree. I didn't notice any ATTITUDE from you, the original poster - just from the suckseeding ones. BTW the improper spelling was on purpose.:rolleyes:

LOL! I'm sorry. Did you read something threatening in my suggestion to you? You approached the subject that you are begrudgingly going to be returning to San Juan (you said you have no other choice!). My goodness! Don't torture yourself! I'm just pointing out that you really don't have to get off the boat. You always have a choice.

I help a lot of people on these boards for San Juan. Reading your message, I was clear you were going somewhere you did not want to go, so I found it hard to suggestion things to do. I cannot give you any constructive ideas with just that. I was simply reinforcing your options against the focus of your message.

I agree. I didn't notice any ATTITUDE from you, the original poster - just from the suckseeding ones. BTW the improper spelling was on purpose.:rolleyes:

And what would you like that to say about you? I'll let your statement speak for itself.

You can wander OSJ freely without any problems. I think the problem is your perception. There is really only 1 area to stay away from and that is not hard to do.

We stayed in San Juan for2 nights before our cruise and everyone really liked it. Our group ranged in ages from 20's to 70's. The forts are really nice. Try walking around looking in shops. We really felt safe. My nephews are photographers and did get chased out of an area called LaPerla so just avoid that area and you should be fine.

I'm not sure if I should bother at this point since you were offended by my message (don't understand, but ok) and, consequently have written me off, but this is important. I only want to help.

La Perla is the place I referred to above. Cknornuta's nephews are fortunate. That neighborhood is probably the most dangerous in all of Puerto Rico. It is a drug infested slum that you only go into for the wrong reasons. Luckily, it is sunken below street level with a single entry point. You can recognize what you are walking into easily and it is not hard to avoid the place. It is also well segregated from the rest of the city. Only the ignorant walk into La Perla (only meaning they don't know any better and don't watch where they are going). Just stay out of that neighborhood and you'll be fine. Now, my conscience is clear.

I hope you are not so sensitive that you take this message the wrong way.

MAO - I know where you are coming from. When we were in San Juan we did not have a good experience either. We ended up going back to the ship early and talked to several people onboard who felt the same way we did.

That being said, we are returning to San Juan again this November as our Serenade cruise leaves from there. We do plan on going back to OSJ to give it another try. Lots of cruise critic members report on having a wonderful time in OSJ so I am optimistic that I can have the same experience.

We are planning to visit the forts and San Juan Cathedral. The Frommer's Ports of Call book has an excellent walking tour.

MAO - I know where you are coming from. When we were in San Juan we did not have a good experience either. We ended up going back to the ship early and talked to several people onboard who felt the same way we did.

That being said, we are returning to San Juan again this November as our Serenade cruise leaves from there. We do plan on going back to OSJ to give it another try. Lots of cruise critic members report on having a wonderful time in OSJ so I am optimistic that I can have the same experience.

We are planning to visit the forts and San Juan Cathedral. The Frommer's Ports of Call book has an excellent walking tour.

If you are going to be walking between the 2 forts, La Perla is in between. Stay on the main road and don't venture down. Personally, I don't walk through that area (it is the only area in all of Puerto Rico that I choose not to walk near). I see cruisers walking through all the time and the area is patrolled, but that is a personal choice of mine.

I don't know if Frommer's has the Paseo de Princesa walk included in it (along the outer wall of the city to the front of the harbor), but that is a neat walk. You can come back through the main gate of Old San Juan by the Cathedral.

thank you to those of you who have suggestions and advice on what to do and how to make my experiance in OSJ positive. Thats what cruie critic is all about:)

MAO

It would help if you gave a little more information to provide better and more targeted answers (everyone is different in what interests them and what they are looking for)... For example,

1) In what way was your last visit unsafe or did you feel threatened? Where did this happen and what happened? I may be able to help you avoid whatever affected your first visit. That anxiety of not feeling secure can overpower any positive experience you plan to have that day.

2) What are your interests? There are a bunch of things to do, but a lot depends on your interests. Shopping? Beaches? Dining? Dance Clubs? Forts? Walking Tours? Sightseeing attractions like the plazas, capilla, cathedral, parques, etc? Obviously arriving so late impacts the number of things you can do (e.g. rainforest), but there are still a large number of things to do.

3) What kind of group and age group are you? I suggest different things for kids, couples, small families, large families, elderly, handicapped, etc. Lots of people ask a lot of details that I can answer for me, but might be really wrong for them.

This will help everyone provide you with a more rounded and thoughtful response.

We are in our early 40's, usually like the beach but it's too late for that when we get there. We also like shopping and adventure, we did enjoy Fort El Morro!

I'm not sure what area we walked thru but a nice lady told us to turn around and go back:eek: it's not safe here!! We were new to cruiseing and now have a better idea of how to research and stay safe...thus my original post! HELP:)

So what can we do that is safe and fun at that time of day/nite? (Nite time in any port puts my gaurd up alittle more than day time.) There is the cruise line excursions but really they seem lame and uninteresting to us. Hopeing someone here has better suggestions.

Thanks for all your input.

MAO

Someone accused me of working for a certain tour co. because I recommended

them to others. I do not work for the tourism company , but check out

their website, http://www.gotopuertorico.com and also http://www.enjoypuertorico.com.

(don't work for them either)for lots of ideas. Sorry some got so "testy"

with you. Too many Barcardi fumes will do that!

Big Sky Country,

Question...why don't any of the tours take you into El Morro? Heard a lot of the places you were able to go into are now closed since the renovation took place. Seen San Cristobal. What would El Morro offer that is different from it?

Thanks for any info.

MARAPRINCE

We were in San Juan from 9am to 1pm. I didn't find anything all that interesting to see. Walked around a bit, got some coffee that my daughter asked for and headed back to the ship. Safety wasn't an issue...just felt that the walking was alot and there wasn't really enough time to do anything.

Big Sky Country,

Question...why don't any of the tours take you into El Morro? Heard a lot of the places you were able to go into are now closed since the renovation took place. Seen San Cristobal. What would El Morro offer that is different from it?

Thanks for any info.

MARAPRINCE

Hmmm. Good question. There might be an issue of conducting private tours on Federal property (especially a ticketed property), but I'm honestly not sure. It has been a while since I was in El Morro, but I was there since the renovation. I did not feel like there was much "off limits." I did remember an alcove or 2 blocked off, but that was about it. Sorry. Hopefully someone who has been there more recently can better respond.

Big Sky Country,

Thanks for any info.

MARAPRINCE

I would assume you don't see cruise tours or private tours taking you into El Morro because the El Morro is a U.S. National Park and as so is constructed as a self-guided tour. There are plenty of boards to read along the way telling you the history of the fort and other informational boards along the way. There are park rangers there to help assist with questions, etc. Can't think of any reason why any other guide would be needed to get the most out of the park area.

We were last there in 5/06 and had been there before. Each time we go we learn somthing new and we love the views of the bay from the fort.

Dianne

Hmmm. Good question. There might be an issue of conducting private tours on Federal property (especially a ticketed property), but I'm honestly not sure. It has been a while since I was in El Morro, but I was there since the renovation. I did not feel like there was much "off limits." I did remember an alcove or 2 blocked off, but that was about it. Sorry. Hopefully someone who has been there more recently can better respond.

Big Sky Country,

How difficult is the walk up to El Morro for an adult approx. 70 yrs. old?

Would you recommend taking a cab from the cruise ship dock there instead of walking all the way?

Also, having toured San Cristobal, what would El Morro offer that would be worth the trip up there?

Thanks. We leave on 5/21.

MARAPRINCE

Big Sky Country,

How difficult is the walk up to El Morro for an adult approx. 70 yrs. old?

Would you recommend taking a cab from the cruise ship dock there instead of walking all the way?

Also, having toured San Cristobal, what would El Morro offer that would be worth the trip up there?

Thanks. We leave on 5/21.

MARAPRINCE

It might be better to grab a cab. The walk is not that strenuous, but it is uphill, it is a good distance, it is along cobblestone streets and very skinny sidewalks (meaning you need to get on and off frequently to pass others) and it is hot out. Just the grassy approach to the fort is pretty long as it is, so some walking is in order no matter what. If you are athletic and like that DIY kind of touring, walking is a good option. If you are worried about time, are not somewhat active, or don't do that well in the heat, then definitely take a cab. Walking back down is much easier if you decide that it is not that far and want to hoof it.

El Morro is similar to San Cristobal in that it has the same type of fortifications, but it's setting is more picturesque. You get a beautiful view of the harbor, the inlet, the approach, and across San Juan. I love the rolling grassy approach to the fort. It really separates the experience from the city (unlike San Cristobal). There is more there to see from an inner workings standpoint. The history is a little deeper as well.

I think the average person would say they saw "another fort" (the bigger and more famous one this time) in San Juan, but it had a dramatic setting that was very pretty.

Hope that helps...

Big Sky Country,

Yes it helps a lot!

How long a walk from the cruise ship pier? How long a cab ride?

Thanks.

MARAPRINCE

Cab ride might take up to 10 minutes, depending on traffic. The streets are narrow and sometimes cabbies need to yeild to other traffic.

Walking time: depends on your health and stride. I'd say a healthy adult with a good stride could make it in 15 -20 minutes? Personally, DH & I enjoy the cab ride as it's an excursion in its own.:cool:

Also, by taking a cab, you can generally get more info from the cabbie as to other things to do while you are in SJ.

There's a lot of uphill walking involved in El Morro. The fort is built on several levels and the climbs are fairly steep.

We like to save our walking legs for the climbs inside the fort and then walk back down into the city and explore the side streets before hopping the trolley when our legs get tired.

We are 59 and can handle the steep inclines of El Morro fairly well but do enjoy having some legs left to investigate other parts of the city following our visits to the fort.

Dianne

Archived