Cruising without a passport. Should I be concerned?

Neowind

I have been on several cruises now and have never gotten a passport. Same this year I am going on a cruise in June and do not have a passport. I am starting to get a little nervous as if something bad were to happen would I really not be able to get back into the United States? Would I be stuck even if it was a medical emergency? Can anyone shed some light on this for me? :eek:

I broke down and got my family all passports last winter. It was costly for the 4 of us :eek:, but the hassle and stress they saved us at the airport and at the different islands was amazing!!! We just zoomed right through while others with 2-3 forms of id were held back to have them checked over and then [most of the time] got the chat of 'you REALLY need to get the passport.'

Why put it off and take the chance of running into major problems getting back to the USA, just get one and be done with it.

I have been on several cruises now and have never gotten a passport. Same this year I am going on a cruise in June and do not have a passport. I am starting to get a little nervous as if something bad were to happen would I really not be able to get back into the United States? Would I be stuck even if it was a medical emergency? Can anyone shed some light on this for me? :eek:

Neowind, where are you going in June? It depends on your destination(s).

You will be able to fly back, but it will be much more hassle than if you have a passport.

Not sure why you say this since begiining in late January of this past year all persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda are now required to have a passport.

So, to the OP if you would have posted this item several months ago I would have recommended that you would have gotten a passport but at this late stage that doesn't look to be a good option.

Keith

Not sure why you say this since begiining in late January of this past year all persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda are now required to have a passport.

So, to the OP if you would have posted this item several months ago I would have recommended that you would have gotten a passport but at this late stage that doesn't look to be a good option.

Keith

So does this mean I would not be able to fly home?

It depends on where you would be flying back from. For example, if you were flying back from Guam, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Swains Island, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands you would be OK since these are considered US territories. Some of these are on your itineray. But you mentioned some Islands that are not part of the U.S Territories so you would have a problem. Details are on the U.S. Deparment of State Web Site at:

http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

Keith

Last month one of my company's ships was repositioning on the West Coast of Mexico. Three different women on that cruise became very ill and had to be medically disembarked in Mexico.

The local doctors diagnosed them medically fit to fly home to the USA for treatment. Just one problem - no passports. The airlines refused to take them.

The US Consulate in Mexico was contacted. Their reply: No passport, no flight.

One of the women died in a Mexican Hospital. The other two are still there - waiting to recover enough to be able to ride a bus back to the USA.

I wouldn't gamble my life for the price of a passport.

Last month one of my company's ships was repositioning on the West Coast of Mexico. Three different women on that cruise became very ill and had to be medically disembarked in Mexico.

The local doctors diagnosed them medically fit to fly home to the USA for treatment. Just one problem - no passports. The airlines refused to take them.

One of the women died in a Mexican Hospital. The other two are still there - waiting to recover enough to be able to ride a bus back to the USA.

Phillip- Thanks for again letting us know how important a passport is. I myself can't imagine NOT having one, but until 10 years ago I had no need for one.

Mexico, the Caribbean and Canada are not states, they are sovereign nations, and if you are going to travel to any sovereign nation, you need a passport.

How very sad, I think it was wrong not to make the cruiselines also require passports when they changed everything. When the law changed it should have been for everything not just flying. My husband made sure that when we started to cruise and travel many years ago that we all had passports even the kids. My parents have always traveled overseas way back in the 70's so they just made sure us kids also had passports. I just cannot imagine being without. If you want to travel anywhere outside the U.S. GET A PASSPORT.

How very sad, I think it was wrong not to make the cruiselines also require passports when they changed everything. When the law changed it should have been for everything not just flying. My husband made sure that when we started to cruise and travel many years ago that we all had passports even the kids. My parents have always traveled overseas way back in the 70's so they just made sure us kids also had passports. I just cannot imagine being without. If you want to travel anywhere outside the U.S. GET A PASSPORT.

I think they meant well and also were trying to phase it in as they are getting overwhelmed with passport applications. I have been encouraging folks on these boards for several year to apply for the passports sooner rather than later knowing that this would eventually be implemented after several delays. I always thought in this day and age it makes sense to have a passport even for the unexpected in terms of travel. I agree with your comments about not wanting to be without a passport if you go out of the United States.

Keith

I somewhat agree BUT the cruise lines put pressure on the gov.

The blame should be put on both.

I don't understand why anyone who knows they are going to travel anywhere outside the U.S. does not now have a passport. We had plenty of warning. Even if you are new to cruising, it's been all over the news for months/years about the regulations requiring passports.

GET A PASSPORT!!! It is a cost of traveling. A U.S. passport is amortized over ten years....how long it is valid. If you are stressing about not having one, do something about it.

You've waited until the Passport Agencies are backed up and it takes months. Now you have the choice of paying a lot more and expediting when you could have done it months/years ago.

GET A PASSPORT or be willing to stress and suffer the consequences.

Makes absolutely no sense to me.

I just can't believe that after you took one cruise last year you didn't get that passport. I am not flaming you but sincerely hope that you do not become ill on your cruise and won't ahve to worry about getting back to the states.

When you get home from your cruise - please - get that passport.

Well I have been on 7 cruises and never seen the need for a passport. I have experienced no delays or stress or anything. The only problem now is the flight issue.

From what I gather here the only way for me to get back to the united states would be to hire a private boat to take me to San Juan or St. Thomas so that I could fly home is that correct?

You are correct....the only problem now is the flying home issue. Yes, you would have to make your way to a U.S. territory to re-enter the United States. Also, how sure can you be that any of the other entities would want to transport you anywhere without a passport showing your country of citizenship.

Face the facts....you should have that passport anytime you want to leave the country.

Archived