I Need A Good Book To Read On My Trip

mahreeya

Dog On It by Spencer Quinn. It's a page turner that's written in first person...by the DOG! Sounds weird, but it's a wonderful novel about a private eye and his dog.

I loved all three of Spencer Quinn's Chet and Bernie mysteries. I listened to all three audiobooks, and the narrator, Jim Frangione, was FABULOUS. Fun, fun books.

For a good laugh out loud, can't put the book down, I turn to Jen Lancaster.

For a can't put it down, could be a tear jerker, Kristin Hannah.

Good chicklit would be Sarah Pekkanen, Emily Giffin, Jen Weiner

Good ficition, Claire Cook.

Suspense/thriller, I would highly recommend the Steig Larson trilogy. Loved it.

I did not go through all 39 pages of this thread to see if someone already suggested this (I'm sure they did), Cruise Confidential: A Hit Below the Waterline by Brian David Bruns.

It's about his experience as a middle class white American that takes a job with Carnival Cruise Line. You will learn more about what goes on behind the scenes than you ever wanted to know! Great book.:)

Great book. I even brought it to my M&G as the gift grab!

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, I'm currently listening to the audio version of "The Lonely Polygamist." It was ranked as one of the top 10 books of 2010 by Entertainment Weekly (or was it People Magazine?) If you like John Irving, you'll love this one! I don't like serial romance or detective novels. Loved Pillars of the Earth, World Without End, The Help, Water for Elephants, Shanghai Girls, Racing In The Rain,

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. One from many years ago that is still one of my favorites is Wilbur Smith's "River God." I loved the print book, did not care for the audio CD as it's abridged and the reader isn't very good. I'm almost finished with "Corner of Bitter & Sweet" and need some suggestions as we have a cruise booked for April. (And, also, I really enjoyed the audio CD's of One Fifth Avenue by Candace Bushnell. I don't think men would care for it but it's a great book for ladies to curl up with.)

• 3 weeks later...
Also looking for 5 or 6 good read to load into my ereader for the next cruise next November. Now I want nice vacation-brain books that make me happy nothing that will make me doubt my sanity or question who I am; I do that enough at my job;) (healthcare...don't ask!)

Try books by Jennifer Donnelly, such as The Tea Rose, The Winter Rose and her newest is Revolution. The first two are so great, I may consider reading them again.

Regards,

Arlene

Two excellent books that I've read recently are:

- ROOM by Emma Donoghue

- The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Hunger Games is actually the first book in a trilogy. Just finished reading the second (Catching Fire), and am anxiously awaiting my library copy of the third (Mockingjay).

These are both excellent stories, and very interesting reads. But I suggest that you read a synopsis on Goodreads or Amazon to see if the subject matter is something that interests you. They are both a bit 'different' story lines and may not appeal to everyone.

I just read a murder/mystery on a cruise ship, Caribbean Moon. Lots of good stuff about the Caribbean. It think the author must have been there a few times.

I read it on Kindle. Fast read and really good characters.:cool:

Sounds good. Thanks! I just downloaded it on my Kindle.:)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A quirky, funny look at some bad experiences at some even worse jobs.

Stewart O'Nan's short novel "Last Night at the Lobster" is one of the finest pieces of fiction I have read in the last decade.

I find that NPR is the absolute best source for book recommendations. Plus, the well-crafted author interviews often give great insight into the book.

Edited by Bookish Angel

After reading the reviews of "Paris Wife" on Amazon.com, I bought the Audio Book at Costco. Oh, it's just awful. Characters are flat as pancakes. I've learned a lesson and that is to read the 1 star and 2 star reviews before the 5 star. Now I'm listening to "New York" by Rutherford. It's okay but just okay.

They say "free." :rolleyes:

Just shop on Amazon in the Kindle section. There is even a Top 100 Free in their Bestseller list.

Thanks! That seemed like a dumb question but I didn't know there was an entire Free section... fantastic!

Thanks! That seemed like a dumb question but I didn't know there was an entire Free section... fantastic!

I am new to Kindle (got mine for Mother's Day) and only paid for one book so far - Janet Evanovich's Smokin' Seventeen (yes - I'm hooked - have read them all).

In addition to Amazon's top 100 free Kindle Downloads which I check everyday, I have found the following resources helpful:

Amazon's Kindle forum: http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle?_encoding=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

and ereader IQ - http://www.ereaderiq.com/free/

In addition to finding out about free books on ereaderIQ, if you really, really want a book that is above your budget, you can sign up for a free email alert that will notify you if the price drops.

Happy reading!

Have you read "River God" by Wilbur Smith? It's one of my all-time favorite books. I hadn't thought about it in a long time.

Yes and the sequel.. that Egyptian series was something, wasn't it? I liked this new one bec. it's timely and just a well told story

It wasn't a dumb question at all. Thanks to you we now have some new resources!

Agreed! I should have said that before posting. I am learning about downloading Kindle books but have not yet figured out some basic Kindle functions! I know this is a book thread - not a Kindle one - but I really appreciate all the great info. A good read is a good read - no matter what the format!

A quirky, funny look at some bad experiences at some even worse jobs.

Stewart O'Nan's short novel "Last Night at the Lobster" is one of the finest pieces of fiction I have read in the last decade.

I find that NPR is the absolute best source for book recommendations. Plus, the well-crafted author interviews often give great insight into the book.

I enjoy Stewart O'Nan immensely. I've read "Last Night at the Lobster" and "A Prayer for the Dying". Not exactly beach reads but they are both very, very good.

Just ordered his book "The Circus Fire" through Amazon. I wish I could read more of his books but they are just so expensive on Kindle!

Whenever anyone asks for an author recommendation I always mention O'Nan. :cool: