I Need A Good Book To Read On My Trip

mahreeya

• 2 weeks later...

Perfect Timing - by Jill Mansell - which I just picked up for $1.99 for Kindle. Perfect light and funny beach/deck chair read.

Speaking of which, what do you experienced Kindle users do to protect your device from sun, sand, gooey sunscreen, etc.?

• 2 weeks later...
Water for Elephants is an excellent read.

I second that!

I'm a librarian, retiring & going on our next cruise in September. It looks like we are going to have a little book club meeting on the second sea day to discuss this book.

Has anyone else tried to organize a book club through their roll call?

Here's another Kindle download I wonder if anyone has read.

The Truth About Cruise Ships - A Cruise Ship Officer Survives the Work, Adventure, Alcohol, and Sex of Ship Life

Jay Herring (Author)

4.0 out of 5 stars (20)

Auto-delivered wirelessly

$9.95

Cindy

Librarian & new Kindle owner

I third the Ken Follet books. I loved Fall of Giants. Big book. I also really liked Pillars of the Earth and world without end. You have to read those two in order. These would be perfect e reader books because they are so long.
Pillars of the Earth and World Without End are the two best books I have ever read. In Europe, a best book survey was done. Now don't flame me as I simply found the poll fascinating. "Pillars" was rated #1 while the Bible came in #2. I just downloaded the audio CD's of "Noble House." I read that book in the 80s and thought it was fabulous. I'm sure everyone has read the "Dragon" series. What about "Glass Castle." I didn't put it down until I had finished it, however, several of my book club friends found it disturbing. That's not how I read it at all. On a side note, we have several teachers in the family who urged me to read "Understanding Poverty" by Ruby Payne. I rate this book as the #1 most enlightening book ever written. It's mandatory for teachers in the Lewisville, Tx. school district. (At least it used to be.) It's not just for teachers but an eye-opener for all classes of our society.

Patpcozy - Can you give me some of the titles of her books? Also if you haven't got it yet, you must reat "Bet Me". Other people have told me it's the best Jennifer Crusie has written, for what it's worth. 12_1_120.gif[/Q

Hi Joelmarg was right all of her title in the stephanie plum series have numbers in the title. She has just come out with The 10th (not sure of title) she has another series Full tilt, Fullspeed, full house but I heard they aren't as good. But the stepanie series even my slow reading friends LOVE them and laugh all the way thru.

Cruisinchick The libraries on board have never charged anything that I know of and since I will read almost anything I have never had a problem. I always bring 1 book just in case but 1 is never enough. I try to remember to leave the ones I've read since I think this is where they get their library.

Have never had a problem finding great books to read on the ships we have been on. No fees, and we also leave the books we brought there. The last one hubby and I read was really hard to put down. Hubby likes reading on the plane. That book was Laura Hiilenbrands " Unbroken". Another one I liked was Lisa Jacksons " Malice". Thanks you all for your suggestions. Sandy

I'm reading Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson. It's her debut novel and it is AMAZING. I wish I had known when I got it I would be booking a cruise, I would have saved it. :D

Every morning, Christine awakens beside a stranger in an unfamiliar bed. She sees a middle-aged face in the bathroom mirror that she does not recognize. And every morning, the man patiently explains that he is Ben, her husband, that she is 47 years old, and that an accident long ago damaged her ability to remember.

In place of memories, Christine has a handful of pictures, a whiteboard in the kitchen, a journal hidden in a closet, and Dr. Ed Nash, a neurologist who claims to be treating her without Ben’s knowledge. Each day, he reminds her of the journal, inside which she has begun meticulously recording her daily events—sessions with Dr. Nash, snippets of information that Ben shares, flashes of her former self that briefly, miraculously appear.

But as the pages accumulate, inconsistencies begin to emerge, raising troubling questions that Christine is determined to find answers to. And the more she pieces together the shards of her broken life, the closer she gets to the truth…and the more terrifying and deadly it is.

I'm reading Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson. It's her debut novel and it is AMAZING. I wish I had known when I got it I would be booking a cruise, I would have saved it. :D

Every morning, Christine awakens beside a stranger in an unfamiliar bed. She sees a middle-aged face in the bathroom mirror that she does not recognize. And every morning, the man patiently explains that he is Ben, her husband, that she is 47 years old, and that an accident long ago damaged her ability to remember.

In place of memories, Christine has a handful of pictures, a whiteboard in the kitchen, a journal hidden in a closet, and Dr. Ed Nash, a neurologist who claims to be treating her without Ben’s knowledge. Each day, he reminds her of the journal, inside which she has begun meticulously recording her daily events—sessions with Dr. Nash, snippets of information that Ben shares, flashes of her former self that briefly, miraculously appear.

But as the pages accumulate, inconsistencies begin to emerge, raising troubling questions that Christine is determined to find answers to. And the more she pieces together the shards of her broken life, the closer she gets to the truth…and the more terrifying and deadly it is.

Just finished S.J. Watsons book last. A friend loaned it to me. Really enjoyed it. The one I read before that was " The Wednesdays letters" by Jason F. Wright, loved it have read it twice. Also " Roses" by Leila Meacham, it carried me on the flight to China and back home again and I thorougly enjoyed it. Thanks you all I have me a nice list to work with. Sandy

• 1 month later...
Hi Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series is ablolutely hysterical, and definetly "can't put down". They are a nice change from all the "mushy" romances.The only problem is the looks yo get for laughing out loud :D

enjoy your cruise!!

Thanks for the heads up, I cruise next month and I ordered the first book of the series.

Have never had a problem finding great books to read on the ships we have been on. No fees, and we also leave the books we brought there. The last one hubby and I read was really hard to put down. Hubby likes reading on the plane. That book was Laura Hiilenbrands " Unbroken". Another one I liked was Lisa Jacksons " Malice". Thanks you all for your suggestions. Sandy

I just finished "Unbroken." I thought it was a page-turner, too. Right now I'm reading "Hunger Games" just because I kept seeing great reviews ... I think it's just so-so. I didn't realize it was considered "young adult" when I bought it.

I second that!

I'm a librarian, retiring & going on our next cruise in September. It looks like we are going to have a little book club meeting on the second sea day to discuss this book.

Has anyone else tried to organize a book club through their roll call?

Here's another Kindle download I wonder if anyone has read.

The Truth About Cruise Ships - A Cruise Ship Officer Survives the Work, Adventure, Alcohol, and Sex of Ship Life

Jay Herring (Author)

4.0 out of 5 stars (20)

Auto-delivered wirelessly

$9.95

Cindy

Librarian & new Kindle owner

Sounds like one that would be a lively BOOK Club review. I think that is a great idea especially for our TA cruise coming up. Iam going to suggest it. Sandy

• 1 month later...
Just read "Those In Peril" by Wilbur Smith, one of my fav authors, on cruise to Bermuda. Not too long and not too complicated but compelling... gal or guy book
Murphy's Law: I found another old thread about books and asked if anyone remembered "Those in Peril." The minute I hit "Submit Reply," I found this thread. I'm going to download "Those in Peril" right now as I can't seem to get very excited about a number that I've purchased lately. I did read "Unbroken" and thought it was really good. I haven't read "Fall of Giants" and I'll also download that one.

• 4 months later...

No one mentioned Kris Radish, must reads for all women. My favorite was the one with Annie Freeman and funeral in the title...I know I will mis quote the title. Elegant Gathering of White Snows is good and Searching for Paradise in Parker PA ws

As another favorite.

I'm a huge travel reader. Can usually polish off 3 or 4 books in a week, especially some of the quick-read stuff.

Janet Evanovich series are great. They are very quick reads, all come in paperback and are fun to read. The titles are all in number sequences - One for the Money, Three to get deadly. You can find them on ebay easily. I think she's finished 1 - 8. You can read them in order, but it's not critical to read in sequence. (She actually came out with a short one about Christmas, forget the title, but it was in conjunction with another author, and the title was not in the "number sequence" she usually runs with.

Also enjoy the Stewart Woods books. Good mysteries, with repeat characters. Again, ebay is a great place to pick them up. Or even used book stores. Some take trade ins, so I take my olds ones and swap out for new stuff.

Just saw the movie" ONE FOR THE MONEY", great show. Have just gotten interested in the Stephanie Plum series If you saw the movie how does it coincide with the book. ???? I am going to check out e-bay to find the series, Thanks for the tip. We are sailing in April and have a long plane ride so thought it would be a great time to read them. Kent and Sandy

I discovered the Stephanie Plum series several years ago and eagerly await each new release. They are a fun, light read - great for vacations.

I didn't dislike the film, but I think it could have been better.

I don't like some of the casting, especially Debbie Fisher as Grandma.

I think the books would have made a good TV series, allowing the characters to develop over time as they do in the books.

Speaking of which, what do you experienced Kindle users do to protect your device from sun, sand, gooey sunscreen, etc.?

My DD tells me that a friend of hers likes to put her reader into a ziploc bag and sit in the tub to read. :D

• 5 months later...

Would luv to keep this thread going... just finished "Wife 22", excellent beach/cruise read and very contemporary! Also enjoyed "Wildflower Hill".

Anyone read "Beautiful Ruins" yet? Planning to start that next. My fav.s

are "Pillars of the Earth" and "The Help". If anyone has any suggestions

of what to read before a Med. cruise, fiction based in the area, I would love to hear them.

Would luv to keep this thread going... just finished "Wife 22", excellent beach/cruise read and very contemporary! Also enjoyed "Wildflower Hill".

Anyone read "Beautiful Ruins" yet? Planning to start that next. My fav.s

are "Pillars of the Earth" and "The Help". If anyone has any suggestions

of what to read before a Med. cruise, fiction based in the area, I would love to hear them.

I also loved Pillars and The Help. We seem to have the I've just finished "Moloka'i" ... here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/Molokai-Alan-Brennert/dp/0312304358 I really enjoyed it.