I Need A Good Book To Read On My Trip

mahreeya

Janet Evanovich's "number" series-- "One for the Money" etc....

(easy read, funny, a little racey)

The Trench by Steve Allen

(longer, mystery/suspense)

When You Look Like Your Passport Photo, It's Time To Come Home

by Erma Bombeck

(humor)

True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi

(childhood favorite, young girl on a big ship)

05mak05, thanks for the Molakai suggestion, I have it downloaded from audible.com but haven't listened to it yet--based on our similiar tastes

I can't wait to hear it! Keep me posted on any other favorites you find!

Thanks again!

How about "The Crimson Petal and the White" by Faber, an oldie but a goodie...trust me you will like it.

BTW, I am book snob in the best/worst sense of the word, so if you need any more suggestions let me know...always reading and always looking for great books!

Grab your glasses and go!

Donna

• 2 weeks later...

If you all want a good read and a page turner then look up novels by Douglas Kennedy. Every one of the books that I have read has been a real treat. Just sorry now that I have got through all but one. Some of the covers of the novels might be a bit misleading about the actual content of the story, but don't let that put you off. Both my husband and I have enjoyed his books very much. Happy reading.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I've recently listened to the audiobooks of "Gone Girl" and "Sutton." I loved both of them. The 4 star reviews are well deserved. I'm now wrapped up in "Life of Pi" which I'm also enjoying. I couldn't get into "Night Circus" but will start again as I enjoy quirky.

Cozy mysteries with cats and dogs as significant characters are fun to read. My favorites are the Lillian Braun "The cat Who. . . " series, Joanne Fluke's "Cookie Jar" series, and Rita Mae Brown and Sneaky Pie Brown, "Mrs. Murphy" series.

I am an avid reader .... highly recommend Gone Girl ... BUT be warned I could not put it down.

Love Chris Bohjalian - fav's are Water Witches and Midwives.

I am currently rereading the Dune series - really one of the best works of science fiction ever. Completely engrossing.

Maeve Binchy is always a great beach read

In the sci fi them - I love Sherri Tepper - especially Grass, Beauty and Gibbons Decline and fall.

I have a Nook and own the complete Robert B Parker mysteries - these are great to graze through on vacation.

I read night circus and I liked it, the concept was really intriguing - but not my favorite.

Great suggestions - please keep them coming.

• 2 weeks later...

Devil in the White City

Anything by Kristen Hannah or Jennifer Wiener, very light, happy easy reads

Sarah's Key, (very sad, not great for a cruise though, read this on the beach in Labadee, Im in paradise on the beach crying...... people around me thought I was nuts.....

• 3 weeks later...

Justin Cronin___"The Passage" and "The Twelve"

Both are long reads, 700 pages or so, but quick reading, with a fair amount of symbolism to try to cipher out (so pay attention, if the author is going into excruciating detail about a seemingly insignificant scene, it's probably for a reason.) The series is a trilogy, with only the first two out so far.

I am another vote for the Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern! It is a big favorite of mine, although I fell in love with it audiobook style first.

I also love Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. I love the writing style of the book and the perspective its written from. Book is so quirky.

50 ways to hex your lover by lida Wisdom is another quirky funny one. I always make sure its on my kindle before I hit the beach since it can be a light and quick read.

• 3 weeks later...

Although I didn't read it on a cruise, this book would be a really good one for Caribbean cruise: The Spice Necklace by Ann Vanderhoof. The author and her husband ditch it all (again!)to sail the Caribbean. While they're at it they explore the foodways of various islands. The author writes engagingly and humorously about the food, culture and people of Dominica, the Dominican Republic and Grenada among others. There are even a few recipes in there. I wanted to ditch it all, too after reading it. I may have to find her first book An Embarrassment of Mangoes, written about the first trip she and her husband made, to take on my next cruise. If you get the chance, check them out!

On my last cruise, I became enthralled by Shadow of the Wind (Barcelona setting) by Zafon. I also found A Small Death in Lisbon by Robert Wilson well written and suspenseful. Since I was cruising between Barcelona and Lisbon, these choices weren't accidental!

I always bring a book with me when I cruise and ultimately I end up with great books from the ship's library. Go in the first day and the choices are plentiful! I find many that I totally forgot I "really" wanted to read.