I Need A Good Book To Read On My Trip

mahreeya

Robert O'Connell's Flash Mob is a great vacation read.

I saw where his next novel will be set mainly on a cruis ship, with some of the characters from the previous book. A good mystery but with a lot of humor too. Great for the pool or beach.

• 4 weeks later...
Best Sellers for good reason...

Gone Girl

You for Me

The Rosie Project

The Silent Wife

On the Island

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can't find "You For Me,". Do you mind sharing the author's name? I did find "You Before Me ". Could that be it? I also loved Gone Girl and "The Rosie Project." I'll download Silent Wife and On The Island, too. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Kon Tiki by Thor Heyerdal. Real life adventure on a raft sailing across the ocean to Easter Island. Great pictures also.

Perfect choice to make you really appreciate that luxury liner you are on. :D

It has been many, many years since I read that book, but I do recall how much I enjoyed it.

Here's a list of some of my fav authors which tend to run to mystery/suspense/political thriller. If you haven't tried some of them, give them a shot -

Robt Parker

Stuart Woods

John Grisham

John Sandford

David Baldacci

Brad Thor

James Clavell

Daniel Silva

William Kent Krueger

Greg Iles

Wilbur Smith

WEB Griffin

Jack Higgins

Lee Child

Ken Follett

Vince Flynn

Frederick Forsythe

John Hart

Joseph Finder

Joseph Heywood

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is a great thread, wish I had found it sooner! Dipped in and out of some of the pages but have not noticed any mention of two of my favourite books which are The Island by Victoria Hislop and Lucia, Lucia by Adriana Trigiani. Now off to note some of the great recommendations but will be back. Happy reading everyone:)

I love anything by Augusten Burroughs or David Sedaris for a cruise. They both write in a short story style, where every chapter stands alone. I like that style for vacation because I can put the book down for a while and when I return I don't have to think about what happened when I was last reading.

Also love that this thread is so old that people were talking about brining CASSETTE players with them. :)

OMG. If you want to wake people up laughing, read

Cooking with Fernet Branca

by James Hamilton-Patterson.

Rick Mercer

Mystery books......he is an advid cruiser so many books involve his travels

Carribean moon

Carribean rain

Killing sands

Emerald moon

Carribean fire

Carolina rain

Deceitful moon

Vegas rain

Etc

Check out his facebook page and web site.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

Rick Mercer

Mystery books......he is an advid cruiser so many books involve his travels

Carribean moon

Carribean rain

Killing sands

Emerald moon

Carribean fire

Carolina rain

Deceitful moon

Vegas rain

Etc

Check out his facebook page and web site.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

Correction...correct spelling is ..........Rick Murcer

This is a great thread, wish I had found it sooner! Dipped in and out of some of the pages but have not noticed any mention of two of my favourite books which are The Island by Victoria Hislop and Lucia, Lucia by Adriana Trigiani. Now off to note some of the great recommendations but will be back. Happy reading everyone:)

Molly tell me a little about THE ISLAND by Victoria Hislop. The book I just finished and enjoyed was INTO THE WILD by Jon Krakauer. It holds your interest till your through. I am looking for some new reading material for our Viking River Cruise in December. I find those long, long plane rides much more enjoyable is I have my nose in a good book. Hope your having a good weekend. Kent N Sandy

Molly tell me a little about THE ISLAND by Victoria Hislop. The book I just finished and enjoyed was INTO THE WILD by Jon Krakauer. It holds your interest till your through. I am looking for some new reading material for our Viking River Cruise in December. I find those long, long plane rides much more enjoyable is I have my nose in a good book. Hope your having a good weekend. Kent N Sandy

Hi,

I find it very useful to check three sources for synopsis and opinions (not counting magazines and newspapers)

First is that huge booking selling website.

Second is goodreads

Third is kirkus reviews.

Reading tastes vary so widely that sometimes these straightforward websites are helpful.

For example I love books with foreign settings, historical fiction, and really good literature (A Hundred Years of Solitude comes to mind.)

But these are not everyone's taste...and often not what I call "airplane books" which are fast moving, totally engaging narratives.

The nice thing about goodreads is that they have a feature that is

IF YOU LIKED THIS BOOK YOU MIGHT LIKE THESE BOOKS

our book group on the Ryndam (30 days) is reading Operation Mincemeat and I am getting great feedback on it....did I say that earlier?

So many books, so little time!

Susan

Kon Tiki by Thor Heyerdal. Real life adventure on a raft sailing across the ocean to Easter Island. Great pictures also.

The Cat's Table by Michael Ondatje ..ship from Sri Lanka to Southampton. Lone 12year old boy on ship, coming of age. Excellent. I loved this book, a must read if you are sailing in the Indian Ocean, through the Suez, etc. Adorable.

Susan

Edited by MaisonRose
No heading

For example I love books with foreign settings, historical fiction, and really good literature (A Hundred Years of Solitude comes to mind.)

But these are not everyone's taste...and often not what I call "airplane books" which are fast moving, totally engaging narratives.

You reminded me of the time I visited a book store before a cruise and asked for a recommendation of a light, entertaining read with a Caribbean theme. The young sales clerk recommended Love in the Time of Cholera. LOL

I somehow doubt that she ever read the book!

In any case, I did read the book before our cruise, and was very happy I did. One of our ports was Cartagena. While on our tour, we were shown the house of Gabriel Garcia *******.

If we ever go back to Cartagena, and I hope we do, I will be sure to read A Hundred Years of Solitude - but not on the plane. GGM's books are definitely not a light, breezy read.