I Need A Good Book To Read On My Trip

mahreeya

• 2 months later...
Old book. Still available. Kon Tiki by Thor Heyerdal. True story about his trip. Build a balsa wood raft and sail to Easter Island. Has great pictures too. Real cruse recreated based on the travels of years past. :cool:

LOVED that book! !

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm reading Summer Secrets by Barbara Freethy right now. It is pretty good so far. It's about 3 sisters that sail around the world with their father and are hiding some secret.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 1 month later...

I love anything by Augusten Burroughs or David Sedaris for a cruise. They both write in a short story style, where every chapter stands alone. I like that style for vacation because I can put the book down for a while and when I return I don't have to think about what happened when I was last reading.

Also love that this thread is so old that people were talking about brining CASSETTE players with them. :)

The autobiography of Phil Robertson from Duck Commander. What a great story of personal tragedy and redemption. Just started his brother Si's book Si-Cology and still have the family book left to go by Willy and his wife. Very easy read but if the first two are as good as the first I'll be very happy, happy, happy.

I have only read on a cruise once and it was on our last one to Alaska. I read a book that was written by someone we met on one of our cruises. It was her first published book. It's called Cruising Strangers, by Lezlie K King. It's a murder mystery. You can get in on Amazon. I'm looking forward to the next one.

• 4 weeks later...
Justin Cronin___"The Passage" and "The Twelve"

Both are long reads, 700 pages or so, but quick reading, with a fair amount of symbolism to try to cipher out (so pay attention, if the author is going into excruciating detail about a seemingly insignificant scene, it's probably for a reason.) The series is a trilogy, with only the first two out so far.

I LOVE these books. After reading the second book I was soooo upset with waiting so long for the next installment. His writing sucked me in from page one. I know a book is really great if I still think about months after reading.

While I consider myself well read and versed in a number of what some might consider deep subjects every now and then I read something light and just for fun. I just finished all three books written by the gang from Duck Dynasty. Yep the Rednecks from West Munroe Louisania. None are much more than 200 pages but I found them a great read.

Happy, Happy, Happy by Phil the father was the best. A great read about the transformation of the human sole with a fair bit of humour on the side. Although you wouldn't know it to look at him you won't get far into the book before you realize it was written by a man with a Masters degree and a whole lot of personal faith and conviction.

Si-Cology by Si, Phils brother was easily the funniest book I have read in years.

The Duck Commander Family by Willie and his wife Kori was probably the most informative of the bunch and also sprinkled with a good dose of humour.

You don't have to be a hunter to enjoy any of these reads. It helps in places to understand their mindset like giving up a pro football career because it interfered with duck hunting season but certainly not a necessity.

• 2 weeks later...

Anything by Jennifer Weiner and/or Wally Lamb. i.e. I Know This Much is True (hope that is correct)

Also Orange is the New Black Piper Kerman (sp?).

Planning on tackling War and Peace on the TA cruise this January. Hoping to have a good glass of wine, great book and the wind howling outside.

Barbara

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't read back to the beginning of the topic (9.5 years ago!) but I have a couple recommendations.

The series that begins with The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley is delightful to read. It is a mystery series, but the mysteries aren't really the point. The protagonist is a young girl, but don't let that prejudice your decision (if it might) against reading these books.

Another series begins with The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King. They use the character of Sherlock Holmes, push the narrative along by 30 years, and add a partner who is an intelligent young women.

I wish this thread got more frequent contributions! I enjoy it.

Anything by Jennifer Weiner and/or Wally Lamb. i.e. I Know This Much is True (hope that is correct)

Also Orange is the New Black Piper Kerman (sp?).

Planning on tackling War and Peace on the TA cruise this January. Hoping to have a good glass of wine, great book and the wind howling outside.

Barbara

I just LOVE your imagery of reading with "a good glass of wine, great book and the wind howling outside." That is EXACTLY what makes me happy, too :)

I haven't read back to the beginning of the topic (9.5 years ago!) but I have a couple recommendations.

The series that begins with The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley is delightful to read. It is a mystery series, but the mysteries aren't really the point. The protagonist is a young girl, but don't let that prejudice your decision (if it might) against reading these books.

Another series begins with The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King. They use the character of Sherlock Holmes, push the narrative along by 30 years, and add a partner who is an intelligent young women.

I wish this thread got more frequent contributions! I enjoy it.

I agree, Melissa. I enjoy talking about books, giving recommendations, and getting great recommendations so much.

Let's see. An older book that is timeless, in my opinion, is A WOMAN OF INDEPENDENT MEANS by Elizabeth Forsythe Hailey. I read it a few weeks ago and savored every moment.

KILLER CRUISE by Laura Levine is a FUN story to read on a cruise. It's a light (cozy) mystery.

THE WINTER SEA and THE ROSE GARDEN are two fabulous books by Susanna Kearsley.

If you're looking for Christmas-themed books during the next month or so (or year round for me), Debbie Macomber writes a LOT of Christmas stories to set the mood.

Dog lover/cozy mystery lovers will hopefully enjoy Spencer Quinn's Chet & Bernie mysteries as much as I did.

Those are off the top of my head. Now, please, please....jump in here with GREAT suggestions for all of us :)

• 3 weeks later...

I’m so glad I found this thread. I am avid reader and can usually polish off 4-5 average length paperbacks on a 7 day cruise. I choose to take light reads on cruises and prefer series, I like to stay with the same characters for the duration. Nothing serious, and they have to be funny, or the good guy’s gotta win. Most are who-done-it’s, some are ‘light smut’ but occasionally the good bodice ripper gets tossed in the suit case. Here’s a list of some great reads:

Aisling Grey Series – Katie MacAlister

Silver Dragons – Katie MacAlister

Corset Diaries – Katie MacAlister

Steamed – Katie MacAlister

The FBI Series – Catharine Coulter

The Trouble with Fate – Leigh Evans

The ‘Prey’ series – John Sandford

Alas, Babylon – Pat Frank (post-apocalyptic awesomeness)

Anything John Grisham

Anything Dan Brown

Keep the ideas coming, I'm always looking for good books.

Jess

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My Grandmother taught me to read while I was bed bound after an accident at the age of 5. Her voice gave out reading to me so she took the time to teach me. I never looked back and have been a book junkie since. If I don't have my Kindle in my hand I have my earpiece in my ear and am listening to one. I recommend:

The Iron Druid series by Kevin Hearne

The Jane Yellowrock series by Faith Hunter

The Druid series will make you laugh out loud.:D