HAL Limiting to a single entrees??? Say it ain't so!!

Roboat

I can live with one entree but if HAL says only one appetizer I am in trouble.

Caviar and escargot have been served at the same meal and I have ordered both. If I could only have one I would have my wife order one; I would order the other and then send her to the Lido!

This is a joke. Please do not jump all over me.

I am so with you on this!!! It's always the appetizers I get 2 of :). In fact on our last cruise our waiter always brought me a shrimp cocktail along with whatever I ordered "just in case" I didn't like what I ordered:D . His decision, not mine.

It's always possible that certain passengers are "discouraged" after awhile from ordering more than 1 entree. We were on a Cunard ship once where one couple at our table ALWAYS ordered at least 2 and sometimes 3 EACH! None of us could believe it. So in a case like that I would see nothing wrong with the waiter "suggesting" that possibly they were running short or some such thing.

Before I would believe this urban legend, I'd have to see a heck of a lot more than a few posts complaining about it. And I have a feeling we would see dozens of complaints and wouldn't have to do a "search" to find one:D

Jacqueline-

Sounds like you had a great time - maybe they are just limiting entrees on the Zui?

Personally, I have no problem with anyone ordering anything they want. I also eat little during the day in order to enjoy my dinner. My biggest concern is hearing those who are seated at 8:30 pm did not always have the entire menu available to them. HAL needs to remedy this, IMO.

We've order an extra entree on a couple of occasions, never had a problem doing so - our stewards have often bring the kids "special" selections they thought they might like, as well.

Maybe it just depends on the ship...

Asked an F&B Manager about this and he said "If people ask a second entree they can have this, will be served as second entree as soon they finish the first one." Now that's on the ship he is on - not the ones mentioned in previous posts. Maybe every ship is different.

I guess they found that people were ordering 2 and then not eating one because they had pigged out on the Appetizers, soup and salad.

One entree is plenty for us. Look at the waste at the Buffet in the Lido :eek: People pile their plate with everything they can see and then finish half of it. :( Sure you've paid for it, but why waste it.

The problem with ordering 2 entrees that we have always encountered is that when people do order the 2 entrees the other people at the table have to wait until those entrees are consumed before the waiter will bring the dessert menu. My husband and I can only eat one entree and I guess we just don't understand how people can eat so much.

We have had this problem many times when people order several appetizers.

The waiters will not bring the next courses as long as people are eating the appetizers. I guess that is one reason that we don't eat in the dining room every night of a cruise.

Anngie.....I understand what you are saying but it's a shame for you to miss going to the dining room because of it.

While I am sure you enjoy socializing and meeting new folks to dine with, seeing as you end up by not going to the dining room and the two of you are eating alone anyway...you might be folks who should consider requesting a table for two. You could enjoy going to the dining room but not have to be "put out" by folks who eat so much more than you wish to have. (I can fully understand that....who wants to sit through 5 courses if you are only eating 2 ?)

The only time I ever ordered extra for the main course was Dutch night when I would order the whole Dover Sole and a side of Bami Goreng, now they don`t serve either so lets me out of extras!!! Now, when mussels are on the menu for appetizer, I want two servings!!.....jean :cool:

The only time I ever ordered extra for the main course was Dutch night when I would order the whole Dover Sole and a side of Bami Goreng, now they don`t serve either so lets me out of extras!!! Now, when mussels are on the menu for appetizer, I want two servings!!.....jean :cool:

We had both of these offered on our cruise on Dutch night all of two weeks ago.

BTW-We also abhor waste and never order food that we do not intend to eat.

I know my kids get bored when we order four courses and they are just having one but dining and conversation rather than speading thru the meal are part of the whole experience.

We had both of these offered on our cruise on Dutch night all of two weeks ago.

BTW-We also abhor waste and never order food that we do not intend to eat.

I know my kids get bored when we order four courses and they are just having one but dining and conversation rather than speading thru the meal are part of the whole experience.

Yes, of course, the conversation and not speeding through your meal are part of the whole experience. BUT, it is only pleasant if you are dining with people who are interesting conversationalist; folks you enjoy being with. It can be torture if you are foced to dine with folks for 2 1/2 hours every night and you really do not enjoy anything about them. (and they may well feel the same in return).

That only happened to us maybe once or twice in all of our cruising, but it was enough to convince us we would meet all the folks we wanted on the ship at the pools, at the lounges, walking about......and now enjoy dining alone.

but it was enough to convince us we would meet all the folks we wanted on the ship at the pools, at the lounges, walking about......and now enjoy dining alone.

We've always found that tables for 2 are situated in such a way that you can converse (sporadically) with nearby tables if you desire, or not if that's your wish. On the Volendam last fall we were close to two other "2-tops" and would enjoy pleasantries with both couples between courses while not feeling the need to "push" a conversation at other times.

Absolutely, Dave.

I am immeasurably grateful at our good fortune that DH and I (after 35 years of marriage and 38 years of 'knowing eachother'), we still have not run out of conversation. We are truly each other's best friend and we always have the best time with eachother. Our stewards are always so pleased to serve us as they can clearly see we are happy and enjoying ourselves. What is sadder than to look around a restaurant and see so many couples eating in silence?

But....we are friendly people and enjoy chatting and having a smile/laugh with others and always get to know the folks in our area. We always find some we enjoy alot and chat with them every evening.

no rules have been changed about ordering more than one entre.

There was a sailing in Alaska that had some food shortages and certain entres were limited.

Every once in a great while food will arrive at the ship that is not acceptable to the chef. It doesn't happen ofter but it does happen.

Not to worry.

We really enjoy the dining experience each evening. I have been known to order surf/turf on formal nights..but ask for it on one plate, which they had no problem doing for me on the zuiderdam. Other than that, we do not order multiple courses.

We really enjoy our table for two... Love to spend quality time with my husband and we are never at a loss for conversation. We too found tables to be close enough to have light conversation with fellow diners, but it wasn't intrusive.

we typically do not order 5 courses, and enjoy our table for two because we control the flow of our meal.

I applaud the cruise lines for reducing the serving size. When indulging in a multicourse meal, there is more than enough food .. even with the smaller portions, it's a lot more than the average person normally consumes at home!

I hate to see waste. I like that food options are available to us, at any hour of the day if we so desired. After all, that is part of the cruise experience, but we all should only take what we know we can eat..if we want more, it certainly is available!

I can only imagine what the thin/trim crew must be thinking about the passengers consuming so much food during the cruise! I know when I stop and think about what I've consumed from sun up to sun down...it is amazing..but oh so good! I always blame it on the sea air....

Peggy Sue

When indulging in a multicourse meal, there is more than enough food .. even with the smaller portions...
Absolutely! My DW and I have commented how even though we're eating more courses than we usually do, the portion control helps keep us from gaining 20 pounds on a cruise! BTW, neither of us has ever ordered a second entree.

last week on the Amsterdam, our tablemates started the week off right with two entrees, three appetizers and soup, salad, and two desserts each...nothing but helpful smiles from the wait staff. this continued all week. They even brought extra appetizers for the 4 year old when they saw she loved the muscles and crab and escargot :)

no problems getting whatever we wanted at the 8:15 seating (upper main)...and mostly the food was excellent (although not the gourmet quality that we get at home in Carmel)

anniecat

I searched and searched everything on HAL's website - including press releases and couldn't find anything about 1 entree being allowed to be ordered.

A couple of times husband ordered something, it was dry or something, and he couldn't eat it. He was able to order something else. If that rule were to apply, then we would be stuck eating something that he didn't like.

[quote name='anniecat']last week on the Amsterdam, our tablemates started the week off right with two entrees, three appetizers and soup, salad, and two desserts each...nothing but helpful smiles from the wait staff. this continued all week. They even brought extra appetizers for the 4 year old when they saw she loved the muscles and crab and escargot :)anniecat[/QUOTE]Was the ship listing by the end of the cruise?:rolleyes:

[quote name='Krazy Kruizers'][b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=blue]I searched and searched everything on HAL's website - including press releases and couldn't find anything about 1 entree being allowed to be ordered.[/color][/font][/b]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff]A couple of times husband ordered something, it was dry or something, and he couldn't eat it. He was able to order something else. If that rule were to apply, then we would be stuck eating something that he didn't like.[/color][/font][/b]
[/QUOTE]
I don't know....if something is really bad at any restaurant on land you always can change it... (at least in my experience) .

[quote name='anniecat']last week on the Amsterdam, our tablemates started the week off right with two entrees, three appetizers and soup, salad, and two desserts each...nothing but helpful smiles from the wait staff. this continued all week. They even brought extra appetizers for the 4 year old when they saw she loved the muscles and crab and escargot :)
anniecat[/QUOTE]
Anniecat - thank goodness! I can continue my training in hopes of making the October Caribbean Power-Gorging Finals! :) :)

For those of you who sniffed that they have NEVER ordered more than one entree and just can't imagine what would possess some poor soul to do so... well, I just say, "Hey, are you gonna eat all of that Creme Brulee?" ;)

[b]Tatka.....I agree. If your order in any restaurant arrives cooked improperly, the food is not fresh, there is something wrong with your meal etc, every restaurant will bring you another selection.[/b]

On our cruise on the Oosterdam the first thing our waiter said after greeting us was "please feel free to order more than one entree any night you would like". He actually encouraged us, we never did, but he made it clear we could have anything and as much as we would like.

[quote name='jollycruiser']On our cruise on the Oosterdam the first thing our waiter said after greeting us was "please feel free to order more than one entree any night you would like". He actually encouraged us, we never did, but he made it clear we could have anything and as much as we would like.[/QUOTE]
[font=Book Antiqua][size=4][color=navy][i][b]More beautiful words have never been spoken.[/b][/i][/color][/size][/font]

BTW, did you guys see you can get caskets from Costco now? :)

[quote name='Roboat']BTW, did you guys see you can get caskets from Costco now? :)[/QUOTE]But if you purchase the cruise line's burial at sea package, you cannot smuggle your own aboard and must make your selection from their stock!

[quote name='Missy Chrissy']Sailed the Z this past week. We were refused any extras on the appetizers, entrees, salads, but were offered a second dessert. :mad:[/QUOTE]
Oh geez! :eek:

I hope the "rationing" was linked to the hurricanes and resulting concerns about revised itineraries and provisioning. Was there any mention of that? Did they offer any explanation?

Archived