HAL Limiting to a single entrees??? Say it ain't so!!

Roboat

Recently there have been several posts of HAL guest being refused a second entree. :eek:

I am booked on 10/16 Western Caribbean on the Zuiderdam and I would definitely change cruise lines over this if I had a choice without penalty. Please tell me it was only because of the uncertainty of the route due to the storms.

Note: I do not encourage ordering more than one entree. I rarely do it. But the option to have the occasional rack of lamb AND the grilled shrimp is - FOR ME - one of the top luxuries of cruising. Everyone has their own favorites. If they were to eliminate room service or shore excursions, that wouldn't bother me, but would surely bother many people.

Dining decadence is my cruise thing, and I have the physique to prove it! :D

Say it ain't so, HAL!!

Are other cruise lines doing this? Can anyone save the gourmands? Revneal - prayfrus!

I have not heard anything like that when on the ships. The only place I heard it was here when (I think) it was one person who wrote it. I do not recall anyone else posting they also had seen it.

Roboat-

I've not heard anyone being "refused"... :confused:

Looks like during last week cruise second entree was almost "refused" on couple of occasions.:o

Sorry to tell you but it's true. Saw it on the Holland America website.

Hmmm... where are you seeing this, I don't see it on their website anywhere?

I hope it's not true, it's fun to try a few things & share stuff!

Just looked quickly at their website and can't locate it. I read on Cruise Critic board about it in several posts, which made me go to the HAL website to begin with. One post said their waiter was very embarrassed about the policy and it was true. Don't have time to look more, but I'm sure you can find that post. Will try further later today,

Bev

Hmmm... where are you seeing this, I don't see it on their website anywhere?

I hope it's not true, it's fun to try a few things & share stuff!

I've google searched everything...incluiding HAL's website extensively.......and see NO indication of this. Hmm..maybe grandma needs new glasses ;)

Unless I see this in writing from HAL.....its a false rumor. Its true some guests sometimes get told "NO" on second entree, but its because the waitors are new and do not know better.

Bev-

Yes, I, and I'm sure others, have read the post(s) about limiting to one entree.

It's your reference to having read the new policy of one entree only on the HAL website that we are asking about, as no one else seems to be able to locate it there. :confused:

One reason a 2nd entree could be refused on a particular occasion is that they are running short on that item. I know they ran short of prepared lobster tails for the lower level main seating when we were on the Maasdam. In that case I'm sure anyone on upper level asking for 2nds would have been refused and rightfully so.

I read everything under Dining on the HAL website and didn't come up with anything remotely saying you're limited to one entree.

What if you don't like your entree? Are you saying you can't ask for another one?

I've personally never ordered more than one entree, but I can see if I were sailing with friends, I might want to order an extra one to share. Especially if it were something I wasn't familiar with, like eel a l'orange (just kidding!).

Roz

The only reason I can see for refusing a second entree is as stated above ... they're running short because of heavy ordering on earlier seatings. Until we see something official from HAL, let's not get all worked up over what appears (at this point) to be a rumor.

Thank you for checking, Bev. I can understand that an additional entree in the Pinnacle would require paying an additional fee, though I can't imagine anyone being able to eat more than one serving. You wouldn't go into a land restaurant and expect to receive the filet and the salmon entrees while paying only for the filet and I wouldn't expect it in the Pinnacle either.

Actually, I can understand limiting it due to the new dinner seating times. Imagine those poor folks that have 8:30 pm and the kitchen is out of many things... I'd be upset. That is one of the reasons we don't want 8:30 seating (also, it is just too late, IMO).

I'm sure I'm going to hear about it - but I've never really understood the need to order two entrees (unless, of course you didn't care for something you initially received). I think they should go back to serving the whole lobster tail in order to avoid this. I think it is one of the reasons why people order two - that and the crab legs - the skimpy portions of lobster and crab.

Thank you for checking, Bev. I can understand that an additional entree in the Pinnacle would require paying an additional fee, though I can't imagine anyone being able to eat more than one serving. You wouldn't go into a land restaurant and expect to receive the filet and the salmon entrees while paying only for the filet and I wouldn't expect it in the Pinnacle either.

Peaches, I personally can't see going into any restaurant on land or sea expecting to receive two entrees for the price of one. Different story if there's something wrong with what you ordered......in that case I would expect to receive another entree.

DH is a big eater but in all our cruises I've never known him to ask for 2 entrees - have to say he does have all the courses, right down to dessert, followed by cheese and crackers with his coffee.

Do they limit only main dishes or appetizers too?

I can skip main entree all together but I usually order several escargots or shrimp cocktails..and sometimes soups.:)

I can live with one entree but if HAL says only one appetizer I am in trouble.

Caviar and escargot have been served at the same meal and I have ordered both. If I could only have one I would have my wife order one; I would order the other and then send her to the Lido!

This is a joke. Please do not jump all over me.

I am JUST back from 13 nights on the Westerdam. We had multiple appetizers many nights (I just love the spring rolls !) and multiple entrees including lobster and crab. The head waiter brought the kids entrees off the kids menu in addition to the things that they ordered off the adult menu. We had extras we did not even order delivered to our table. They know that my side of the family are big eaters, with dinner being the hightlight. Yes, we also had cheese in addition to one or two desserts a piece.

For the record, I dont eat breakfast (coffee and one danish) and had a small lunch. But we really enjoy pulling out all the stops at dinner.

To make it easier on the staff- since our table was far from the kitchen we ordered the extras at the same time as we placed out orders. They seemed happy that we were enjoying ourselves.

Another note- if you order surf and turf you get one small sad half of a lobster tale (off a lobster the size of a large shrimp). Ordering the lobster tail itself is better- it looked like it was off a two pound lobster. Huge. The filet mignon was the same size whether in a combo or by itself.

The lamb chops were excellent. I would order doubles if you really love them.

Archived