HAL Limiting to a single entrees??? Say it ain't so!!

Roboat

Just off the Westerdam, and had double appetizers and double salad every nite--I might also say that the portions are so small--especially salads that the doubles are still small---but this is done to control wastes---and for people that eat more they shouldnt feel bad in any way for ordering more than 1 of anything!
Now if this limit is TRUE--that would be another of the cost cutting that SHOULDNT be accepted--first coffee, then ice cream,etc. This would not acceptable at all !!!
I cant imagine going on a cruise and not having enough to eat--I also,dont eat anything all day and only eat in the evening---
fRANK

[quote name='fb0075']--that would be another of the cost cutting that SHOULDNT be accepted--first coffee, then ice cream,etc. This would not acceptable at all !!!
fRANK[/QUOTE]:eek: [font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][b]NO ICE CREAM????!!!![/b] Please say you're being hypothetical!!! They can't have cut out the ice cream!!! Take away my entree, my salad, my soup, even my appetizer, but [b]NO ICE CREAM[/b]????!!!! [/size][/font]

[quote name='fb0075']Now if this limit is TRUE--that would be another of the cost cutting that SHOULDNT be accepted--first coffee, then ice cream,etc. This would not acceptable at all !!![/QUOTE]I don't understand your reference. Although gourmet coffee is charged for on Vista class ships, no HAL ship charges for regular coffee or ice cream. Are you sure you aren't thinking of RCCL when it comes to ice cream as they do charge on that line?

[b]This is the first I've heard of charges for ice cream. I think you may be mistaken.[/b]

[b]There was no charge on Maasdam last month for ice cream and, in fact, the ice cream bar was open even more hours then it ever has been in the past.[/b]

[quote name='sail7seas'][b]This is the first I've heard of charges for ice cream. I think you may be mistaken.[/b]

[b]There was no charge on Maasdam last month for ice cream and, in fact, the ice cream bar was open even more hours then it ever has been in the past.[/b][/QUOTE]
Phew!!!

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=blue]Happy to report that the ice cream flowed for free during our entire trip on the Ryndam 3 weeks ago!! Even better, they never ran out of waffle cones and most days offered hot fudge !!!;) [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=blue]Wish I could say I didn't know this from first hand experience, but I really enjoyed the mid afternoon treat after long days on excursions and walking all over the towns:cool: [/color][/size][/font]

Yes,ice cream is STILL free on HAL---HALLELUJAH---
But not on Princess and RCCL----I was referring to things that were once free that have been taken away---and BTW can you get a free cup of coffee on HAL other than in lido?
fRANK

fb0075:

Totally agree with you on portion size. Everything including entrees were small but the almost empty soup bowls made the least sense. I complained about this on other posts and was told that everyone likes small portions. I tried to explain the difference between a 200 lb man and a 90 lb women, but to no avail.

[b]fb0075.....[/b]

[b]On all of the ships other than Vista Class, Java Cafe has complimentary coffees that are wonderful. There are always homemade cookies /sweets to enjoy with your coffee.[/b]

Sail---
Yes and that is why we love HAL so much--also,love the coffee outside theater BUT I was told that this had been discontinued at the first of the year--
CMON SAIL---tell me what the CV is supposed to be like--my curiosity is boiling!
FRANK

I am sad to hear that HAL would even consider limiting the food ! Why can't they estimate the quantities necessary for a trip. All the other cruises I have been on had no problem with this!

I hope that this is not pennypinching by Carnival. Next thing you know, you will have to pay for lounge chairs !

[quote name='RISKMGR']I am sad to hear that HAL would even consider limiting the food ! Why can't they estimate the quantities necessary for a trip. All the other cruises I have been on had no problem with this!
[/QUOTE]
I don't think any post has quoted anyone from HAL who has said they are limiting or even considering limiting the food. You make it sound like fact. Can [I]any[/I] ship run short on certain foods? I have no doubt all ships from all cruiselines at one time or another have had it happen. But there certainly has been no proof that HAL is saying 'no more seconds'. :rolleyes:

[quote name='fb0075']Sail---
Yes and that is why we love HAL so much--also,love the coffee outside theater BUT I was told that this had been discontinued at the first of the year--
CMON SAIL---tell me what the CV is supposed to be like--my curiosity is boiling!
FRANK[/QUOTE]
Java Cafe was as great as even on Rotterdam in March and on Maasdam in July. I have not heard about them being closed but, in truth, it would not shock me. I am almost expecting that when each ship goes for it's "steel" Excellence changes, we shall see Windstar Cafes on all the ships. [b]This is just speculation on my part, but it is what I think eventually will be the case on all the ships.[/b]

Chocolate Volcano.... :) To my taste, it is soooo wonderful. What surprises me is how few folks mention the Grand Marnier Whipped Cream that is served with it. Too good to be true!!! IMO, it should be illegal.

When the cake is perfectly prepared, it should be [b]just barely[/b] fully baked along the edges of the ramekin in which it is served. It is very rich, deep dark bittersweet chocolate and the center should be moist but not runny. There are alot of eggs in it with extra egg yolks, as well as alot of butter and that is what makes it so moist and dense. There is little flour by comparison. It takes just a minute for it to be overcooked and, if it is, it tastes dry and not nearly as good as when it is perfect. It also is not as good if it is barely undercooked. It can safely be microwaved but only if the chef stands at the oven door and watches it for every second. If you are served a dessert that tastes dry, it is not properly prepared.

The recipe for Choclate Volcano Cake was posted on CC months ago.......A Chef had previously given me the recipe and what was posted was almost identical to what the Chef gave me.

Now........I am drooling for a serving of Volcano Cake w/ Grand Marnier Whipped Cream. :)

[b]fboo75........[/b] I have to admit that I sat here and scratched my head trying to figure out what you meant by CV? :) You would laugh if you heard some of the guesses I made while trying to figure out what you were referring to.

[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=blue]fboo75[/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff][/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff]You mentioned that you had been told that the free capaccinos HAD been discontinued at the begining of the year. Do you mean that they will be discontinued at the beginning of 2005? There were still available in the Java Cafe on the Maasdam this pasy May.[/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff]But I do expect that the Java Cafe on the "R" and "S" class type of ships will be replaced by the Windstar Cafe like on the Vista class ships.[/color][/font][/b]

That was nowhere near what was served to us on the Westerdam----this was a 2 inch thick chocolate mess swimming in melted butter!
Was informed when questioning about coffee that it was no more---after seeing what has happened in the last couple years, that didnt surprise me---Princess still serves free coffee and cookies on 5th floor but Deluxe coffees are $$$---Celebrity is the same --so if HAL is still serving for free, I am afraid its not for very long!

SAIL---cmon tell me what CV conjures up in your mind!!!

FRANK

We receive the dinner menu one night in advance due to my husband's special diet and if we order something that is NOT on the menu there is a charge. We can change the method of cooking -- broiled not fried, no spices, etc. but the item must already be on the menu. Usually this has not been a problem and the menu is varied enough to take care of him. We asked for the "missing" Dover sole but were told there would be a charge if that was prepared. We have still been able to order special deserts, birthday cakes, etc. and no charge but have alway tipped our area head waiter for this special request.

Fb0075, this is correct information. If you want to order something that is NOT on the menu, you are charged. I am not sure what the charge is, but say you want shrimp cocktail and its not on the menu, you certainly can get it, but you will be charged a nominal fee for it. This is new, we experienced this on the Rotterdam last March.

We did not find this to be a hardship at all, the menu was varied enough and we like having different things each night.

I found out towards the end of the 7/30 Westerdam cruise that you could get complimentary cappuccino in the dining room. Also got a double order of the fancy cookies there each night after we requested it.

Archived