As You Wish Dining - Opinions, Comments and Discussions

silvercruiser

People rarely mention it when they don't have a problem.

Since you drew the parallel, let's talk about restaurants. Here in Burlington, you do wait, sometimes quite a long time, for a table at a restaurant. ....................

Here on CC people definitely do post when they don't have a problem ... both positive and negative observations are posted here all the time. I can't believe you haven't read the rave reviews some people post upon their return from their cruises. It happens frequently so no reason in the world to think people won't come back and say that it all went just swimmingly:) .

I said we won't wait on line for food ... many ways to avoid it and we do. And we still dine out frequently with no problem. If we do want to go to a restaurant that gets backed up, we know the exact time to arrive to avoid a wait. Anything more than a ten minute wait, we move on to the next ... there are plenty of fish in the sea around here.

Finally, I don't care what others are willing to do for a bite to eat. That's their choice. It doesn't affect me in the least that others are happy to wait an hour or two for dinner (and they do). I'm not asking the restaurants to change their policy ... I simply don't go to those restaurants.

Here on CC people definitely do post when they don't have a problem ... both positive and negative observations are posted here all the time.
I haven't seen any evidence proving that the proportion of good reviews to bad online matches reality. After 22 years online, I have every reason to believe it does not. You could assert that Cruise Critic is completely different than every other venue online, but I don't believe that.

I can't believe you haven't read the rave reviews some people post upon their return from their cruises.
I said "rarely" not "never". Let's compromise and agree that a greater percentage of the people who encounter bad experiences post about them than people who encounter good experiences post about them. Beyond that, I've seen indications that people are especially reticent to post positive reviews of things that many other posters are posting criticisms of -- that phenomenon makes things that more vocal people don't like seem less favored than is the reality. Finally, we're not talking about blanket reviews. We're talking about experiences about specific things like AYW dining.

Finally, I don't care what others are willing to do for a bite to eat. That's their choice. It doesn't affect me in the least that others are happy to wait an hour or two for dinner (and they do).
Heather, please read what I wrote earlier, again. I explained how it actually does affect you.

I'm done now, Bicker ... not tossing it around anymore. It's just silly.

Here on the HAL board I believe the praise for HAL far outweighs any negative postings. In fact, it's that reality that had a very painful outcome recently so I'll go no further down that path.

As for all of this, we'll just see how it all plays out.

I think Mr. Bicker likes to hear (read) his own voice (writings). It is time to stop and for the real results when they finally put the AYW into practice.

Yah think!?:D Actually, you don't know this, but you all are just victims of mysticism, and need guideance to the real meaning of words. You have to know what is means and since is means so many things you have no clue. :D

jc

I agree, and I have no doubt that by next year, As You Wish Dining will be offered as an option on just about all HAL ships, with the possible exception of the Prisendam because of their smaller dining room. Prisendam will probably have to either stay totally traditional, or go 100% As You Wish. I can't see how they could offer both.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Interesting - we are booked on the Prinsendam next July. The cruise is certainly not selling well yet but we are on waiting lists for both early and late. Probably it will just all be open seating - suits us fine!!!

Heather, I agree with you.

The positive far out weighs the negative on the Hal board.

I have noticed one thing. It is ok to think AYW is wonderful, but any objections to it's pitfalls are being met with some posts that do nothing to add to the discussion. They only focus on tearing apart every word from some posters.

I wonder, gizmo, do the posts that you feel "do nothing to add to the discussion" roughly correlate with those that disagree with your personal position? Maybe it would be best if folks criticized the postings solely from folks with who they share their perspective on this issue.

Although I am confirmed for early traditional dining on my upcoming cruise, I did it because eating at 8pm is too late for us, and we want traditional dining with all the things that implies, like the same steward, same table, same table mates(even though we like a table for 2). I would much prefer eating around 7pm, but because no one has reported back about AYWD, I don't know if I can get the table for two I want, no hassle reservations, no standing in line, and the same steward every night. No one has even reported what it's like to make a reservation. Do you need to do that only once for the whole cruise or every day? I too wish some people who have experienced this, good or bad, would report in and let us know how it's going.

I will be experiencing AYWD on my Volendam cruise in November and will be posting my experiences. We originally had confirmed the 6:15 seating when we booked but with the AYWD change on Volendam in November, we were giving the 5:45 seating. This is just way too early for us (6:15 was too early too) and 8:00 was way too late. Like you we prefer to eat around 7:00 so we changed our preference from traditional to AYWD. We are traveling with 4 other friends so a table of 6 or 8 meets out needs. From what I have gathered from posters, my TA and HAL, you can reserve a time and table up to 4:00pm of that day. What I do not know is if you have to do that every day, which I suspect you would. I heard there has been on the ships so far with AYWD a lot of pax not taking their traditional seating and crossing over to AYWD during the cruise which has irritated those others who couldn’t get a traditional seating prior to departure.

MY TA found out that HAL is no longer going to allow passengers with traditional seating to cross over to AYWD once they have boarded the ship. So the decision to opt out of a traditional seating has to be made prior to departure. We had thought about keeping our 5:45 seating and using AYWD when we needed the later dining times, but dropped it when we found out about the new HAL policy.

Im sure you all remember me as the trouble maker who stirred up trouble with my posts. However you will be pleased to know that I am no longer with HAL and have ound a job that better suits me. However if anyone has any technical questions or needs advice on how to approach issues or complaints with the corporate ofice I would be happy to help. Please forgive anything I may have said in the past that upset you.

LuckiestLady, I think it's really nice (even a little daring:) ) of you to come back on this thread and apologize. It takes a lot of guts to accept responsibility for things that we say.

I'm glad you've found something that you'll be happier doing. I think we could tell you had reached a point of frustration in your position and that's not good for you.

Welcome back to the board. I'm sure you can be very helpful here.:)

It takes a lot of guts to accept responsibility for things that we say.

I must have missed the part where she took responsibility, Heather.

I read where she asked for forgiveness for things she may have said. :rolleyes: She didn't acknowledge that she had said anything out of line---or what it was. :( And she did say things that were out of line.

There's a difference.

Ruth, I guess we just see it differently. She asked for forgiveness for anything she might have said that upset people. To me that's accepting responsibility for what she posted which clearly upset a lot of people. She acknowledged that she was in a position that didn't suit her. We all knew that.

I believe in giving people the benefit of the doubt. She apologized. I believe in acknowledging apologies ...