Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

4 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

I am near the fires. I'm thankful that Horty and I don't have to flee our home and are safe.  I hope that all of you are safe, as well, and have a good weekend! 

So glad you are ok.  Hope you still have power.  We are both chilling since I got my flue shot and Chavela got two shots. We are trying to get ready for future cruises and a trip to Texas next month.  I wanted to make sure we had time to get over the shots without pressure. Vet is giving us heartworm meds and flea and tick meds. She said even through Chavela has no hair and fleas or ticks would show up, it is easier to take the chews then arguing with a foreign official.  Hope you continue to be safe Roz.

2 hours ago, lindaler said:

So glad you are ok.  Hope you still have power.  We are both chilling since I got my flue shot and Chavela got two shots. We are trying to get ready for future cruises and a trip to Texas next month.  I wanted to make sure we had time to get over the shots without pressure. Vet is giving us heartworm meds and flea and tick meds. She said even through Chavela has no hair and fleas or ticks would show up, it is easier to take the chews then arguing with a foreign official.  Hope you continue to be safe Roz.

Thank you.  If I don't get a chance to wish you well on your travels please accept my early well wishes.

14 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Yes, and thanks for asking! I guess it’s OK to say that it is called Traveling with Service Animals, by Henry Kisor and Christine Goodier, published by the University of Illinois Press on September 23 this year. Especially great input from Roz and Dianne, along with many other service dog teams around the US & Canada, about all forms of travel. As far as we know, it’s the only guidebook ever written for service dog handlers.

Congrats Chris and Henry!...can't wait to read it.

• Like 1

The fires in my area are mostly contained and now the work begins.  The air was horrible last night and made it very difficult to go out.  Horton has a bed on the patio that he loves to lay in and watch the world around him, day and night.  It was very difficult to convince him to lay inside last night.

There's a large ranch population filled with lots of horses nearby.  The horses broke out of their stalls and panicked with all the flames and smoke nearby.  Thank goodness the owners and nearby ranchers were able to rangle the horses into a large paddock and put them into safe housing the following morning.  The biggest problem is to get the horses to drink so they don't become dehydrated.  It's so difficult to watch these beautiful animals when they're in "fear mode!"

Life seems to be going back to normal in my beautiful valley here in California.

22 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Yes, and thanks for asking! I guess it’s OK to say that it is called Traveling with Service Animals, by Henry Kisor and Christine Goodier, published by the University of Illinois Press on September 23 this year. Especially great input from Roz and Dianne, along with many other service dog teams around the US & Canada, about all forms of travel. As far as we know, it’s the only guidebook ever written for service dog handlers.

Thank you!  I bought a copy today.  I know I'll enjoy reading it and learning something new.

On 10/11/2019 at 6:33 PM, wizard-of-roz said:

I am near the fires.  I live in a community that is surrounded by the hills in which the fires began and are still going.  The air is acrid and the winds are very bad.  I am able to stay in my home but last night it was touch and go.  I was preparing myself to leave when the winds shifted and we no longer had to worry about the flying embers.  Other folks were not as lucky and had to evacuate.  

I'm thankful that Horty and I don't have to flee our home and are safe.  I hope that all of you are safe, as well, and have a good weekend! 

So glad to hear you are ok.  My daughter's boyfriend's mom and family live in Santa Clarita.  They were also packed and ready to leave if they had to.  But didn't have to evacuate.

Linda and Halo

On 10/11/2019 at 9:29 PM, Caribbean Chris said:

I knew nothing about this book. But I can't wait to check it out. Congrats! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

The fires in my area are mostly contained and now the work begins.  The air was horrible last night and made it very difficult to go out.  Horton has a bed on the patio that he loves to lay in and watch the world around him, day and night.  It was very difficult to convince him to lay inside last night.

There's a large ranch population filled with lots of horses nearby.  The horses broke out of their stalls and panicked with all the flames and smoke nearby.  Thank goodness the owners and nearby ranchers were able to rangle the horses into a large paddock and put them into safe housing the following morning.  The biggest problem is to get the horses to drink so they don't become dehydrated.  It's so difficult to watch these beautiful animals when they're in "fear mode!"

Life seems to be going back to normal in my beautiful valley here in California.

So glad to hear! ❤️ Hope you didnt think a fire was gonna get you out of going on this cruise. 

Edited by rangeley

4 hours ago, DUTRAVEL said:

Chris and Henry did a fantastic job on the Traveling With Service Animals book. It is a wonderful resource.

Dianne

Thank you, Dianne! and thanks to Peter for his excellent photos. I think any one of us on this forum could have written it because, as we all know, a service dog handler is forced to become an “expert” since very few vets have real-world experience with trying to take a dog places. TSA agents seldom follow the actual policies. Even APHIS people have conflicting interpretations. So we all prepare as best we can - and hope for the best!

12 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Imagining those panic-stricken horses just makes me shiver. I’m so glad you and Horty are all right.

22 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Imagining those panic-stricken horses just makes me shiver. I’m so glad you and Horty are all right.

As the news was showing the fires and the cameras would pick up a cat, a dog, a deer, some bunnies and then the horses all running for help I ALWAYS turned my eyes away from the TV....and then the news came on that Pierce College was going to house all large animals and all shelters were making room for the smaller beings, I took a big sigh, wiped the tears away and prayed for the precious animals who innocently live in our world.

2 hours ago, Cruisefanatic71 said:

Has anyone used this website to obtain the necessary permit to bring a service dog into the Bahamas?

https://www.bahamaspetpermit.com/order/

Thank you for your input. 

Never used this. Seems to be a 3rd party trying to make a buck. Service dogs are free and a regular pet is $10. This person wants $57. Just do it directly. I usually fax and have the permit in a day or two. 

On 10/13/2019 at 6:41 AM, Caribbean Chris said:

Thank you, Dianne! and thanks to Peter for his excellent photos. I think any one of us on this forum could have written it because, as we all know, a service dog handler is forced to become an “expert” since very few vets have real-world experience with trying to take a dog places. TSA agents seldom follow the actual policies. Even APHIS people have conflicting interpretations. So we all prepare as best we can - and hope for the best!

It's crazy how you can ask your Vet & APHIS the same question and get different answers.  It's also very frustrating.  Have a bunch going on a cruise in May to Grand Turk.  People are coming from all over the U.S.  Some of the vets are making people get a Rabies boosters before they'll do the titre.  :-(  And some vets won't check with the APHIS to confirm travel requirements.  

On 10/14/2019 at 9:00 AM, rangeley said:

Never used this. Seems to be a 3rd party trying to make a buck. Service dogs are free and a regular pet is $10. This person wants $57. Just do it directly. I usually fax and have the permit in a day or two. 

Thanks. I am gonna try and fax it over. Question, is there somewhere on the form where you can annotate that the dog is a service dog? Also, when you faced over the application over are you also sending the dogs shot records? Thank you for your assistance. This is our first cruise with my daughters service dog.

When we applied for a Bahamas permit, we were not aware there was no fee for service dogs.  No one, not the cruise line or the Bahamian Dept of Agriculture, shared that info.  We overnighted the permit request and payment, and had the permit faxed to me within 72 hours.  The hard copy came 2 months later....LOL!   I think with overnighting and everything, it was about $80. 

8305C50E-4FF1-4D10-BD44-5DCF15E534C8.jpeg

39F5B728-D07E-471F-8B62-4719BB46D86A.jpeg

1 hour ago, Cruisefanatic71 said:

Thanks. I am gonna try and fax it over. Question, is there somewhere on the form where you can annotate that the dog is a service dog? Also, when you faced over the application over are you also sending the dogs shot records? Thank you for your assistance. This is our first cruise with my daughters service dog.

Just write service dog on the top. You do not need to send anything. I think they send back the permit and a form to have your vet fill out. When you get on the ship you will need the permit, the form they sent you filled out by your vet, a copy of rabies certificate and the international health certificate. 

• Like 1

Mornin' all:

Roz:  So glad you and Horty are safe from the fires.  I hate the wind and then top it off with fire, "No can do."  

Jezzy and Rocky get pumpkin in their food daily.  Just as a precaution.  Jezzy had such tummy problems that when I stopped giving her the pumpkin she would get diarrhea.  Now, Rocky did well when he first got here, but about a week ago he had "loose" stool not quite diarrhea, so I also added white rice to their diet.  Seems to help, stool is firm.  Jezzy also gets Coconut oil.  I did give some to Rocky, but then with the loose stool, I thought that could be the cause, so stopped putting it in his food.  Maybe introduce it to him when he changes over to "Big Boy" food.  He will be on puppy chow for awhile.  

I have set aside some one on one training with the trainer.  He is getting over stimulated and goes off the deep end.  He immediately puts his leash in his mouth and then I can't pull on it to correct him.  Then for special effects, he puts one foot up on the leash.  Soooo, I am trying to walk a three legged dawg with the leash in his mouth.  He is also getting a little too aggresive for our liking.  I am sure it is just a learning curve.  He is in his "pre-teen"  "adolescence" and his little hormones are raging.  Can' get him neutered until middle of December.....He just stuck his mouth through the slats on his x-pen and bit a chunk of drywall off the wall.  Ai Yi Yi.  

Hubby tells me he offered me a cruise or a puppy and I chose the puppy.  I want evidence that I agreed to that and that no one else in this home is responsible.  Gotta run and try and control this brat boy.

Hope everyone has a fantastic Hump Day for Carl.  

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, rangeley said:

Just write service dog on the top. You do not need to send anything. I think they send back the permit and a form to have your vet fill out. When you get on the ship you will need the permit, the form they sent you filled out by your vet, a copy of rabies certificate and the international health certificate. 

Thanks for all.of the information. Its bee. Very helpful. As far as the international health certificate is concerned, is that something I can obtain from my vet or is there somewhere else I can get it? Again thank you for the assistance. 

5 minutes ago, Cruisefanatic71 said:

Thanks for all.of the information. Its bee. Very helpful. As far as the international health certificate is concerned, is that something I can obtain from my vet or is there somewhere else I can get it? Again thank you for the assistance. 

You get it from your vet. It has to be a USDA accredited vet. Call your vet and ask.