Do TSA locks work in Europe?

Of course you can use TSA locks - just like you can use any other lock. There is no special treatment for TSA locks in Europe.

Most of the time you will be asked to attend if the need to open your suitcase arises. In the unlikely event that authorities need to open your suitcase without you, they wil break the TSA lock like any other lock.

Even with TSA locks on my bags, the last time I went through BWI two weeks ago, they broke the locks off. I contacted the TSA to see why, and they said that the TSA locks are endorsed by the TSA but not all screeners have the keys to open them. If I wanted get payment for the broken locks, I would have to fill out 4 forms, provide proof of purchase receipt, mode of payment for locks, a copy of my plane ticket, and the baggage tags. Too much work for 10 bucks.

Reading all these responses on TSA locks. I quit using locks after 9/11 due to all the confusion. Going to Europe in the spring............should I use locks?

Would anyone mind sharing with me the issues you have had with and without locks?

I know I "feel" that my things are safer with the locks, not sure that that is the case though. Probably just keeps and honest person honest.

Thoughts and comments anyone?

I take it then that TSA keys to search are only in the US.

When I came back from Pensacola, Florida they searched each bag by hand.

It didnt matter if you had TSA locks or not. They make you open the bags before you go and checked your boarding pass. So you cant have family at the bag search while you get the boarding passes.

There wasnt any security scanner at all. They need to get with it and get up to par. Hand search is not gonna do it.

Well I guess I use my regular locks to Europe and TSA in the USA.

Thanks everyone

Brenda and Bob

Peoria,AZ

I have a stupid question regarding the use of luggage locks. We have traveled far and wide for over 30 years and never use luggage locks. I always figured if anyone wants to break-in to our luggage those silly little locks would never stop them (I have broken locks for other travelers who lost their keys by simply using my Swiss Army knife). In fact, a wise person once told me to travel with old beat-up luggage since thieves tend to focus on expensive luggage...or things that have locks. Its amazing what can disappear in the back rooms of airports, on piers, and in the bowels of cruise ships.

Hank

I have a stupid question regarding the use of luggage locks. We have traveled far and wide for over 30 years and never use luggage locks. I always figured if anyone wants to break-in to our luggage those silly little locks would never stop them (I have broken locks for other travelers who lost their keys by simply using my Swiss Army knife). In fact, a wise person once told me to travel with old beat-up luggage since thieves tend to focus on expensive luggage...or things that have locks. Its amazing what can disappear in the back rooms of airports, on piers, and in the bowels of cruise ships.

Hank

Hank up until our last cruise we never used the locks. Yes, if someone wants to break into the suitcase they can but I felt that if someone has a choice between one with a lock and one without a lock that they might be more inclined to go after the one without the lock.

We decided to go with the locks after all these years because of problems that we heard about over the last few years with items being removed from the suitcases sometime between putting the luggage out on the last evening of the cruise to claiming it at disembarkation. And, our cruise line even encourages passngers to use the locks. So, we primarily got it for the time that it is out of our hands. Rather than for the airport.

Again, are they 100% effective. Absolutely not. But, given how relatively inexpensive they are (about $7.50 in Target, Walmart, etc.) I think they are worth the price.

Keith

I use a lock but my take is if they are going to get into you bag then will use a knife and cut it open. MY sister had that happen to hers when we went to Aruba 6 years ago on the now out of business Air Aruba, We get to Aruba to find from the baggage people that the bag had been ripped open, they said it was due to the conveyor belt, but I have never seen a conveyor belt due such a precise job. The only thing missing was the fake gold costume jewlery from Claire's (jokes on the robbers :p ) They did replace the bag and everything was ok

I still use locks but if someone is going to get into it, then they will.

Archived