Is sharing a soda card stealing?

Podorama

I said I wouldn't be back, but here I am. My personal opinion on "IS it Stealing" is quite different from the thoughts I actually posted yesterday. And no I didn't just change my mind, it has always been of this mindset. I wouldn't personally do it but I don't see where someone gets off claiming to be so honest and moral and then continue to bash someone for doing what THEY deem wrong. You won't change people's minds like that if that is in fact what you are trying to do by giving your opinion.

I don't believe in stealing of any sort but some people just go off on tangents - like they are going to change somebody's mind by belittling them. If you want to act perfect, then by golly, act perfect. (:D TXMommy)

I said I wouldn't be back, but here I am. My personal opinion on "IS it Stealing" is quite different from the thoughts I actually posted yesterday. And no I didn't just change my mind, it has always been of this mindset. I wouldn't personally do it but I don't see where someone gets off claiming to be so honest and moral and then continue to bash someone for doing what THEY deem wrong. You won't change people's minds like that if that is in fact what you are trying to do by giving your opinion.

I don't believe in stealing of any sort but some people just go off on tangents - like they are going to change somebody's mind by belittling them. If you want to act perfect, then by golly, act perfect. (:D TXMommy)

xoxo ;)

do the math. I am allowed 4 sodas per day on the soda card to be fair.

6x7/1.50=28/7=4

this equasion is baised on a can of soda costing 1.50. And that is for a 8 oz glass. Not even the full 12 oz can. So I am now up to 8 glasses of soda a day. If I drink one every hour, that makes my soda card being overactive. Why not just put a limit of 8 per day on the cards? After the 8 per day, then you have to start paying for them.

If I drank that much soda, i would be sick. I can make a 20 oz bottle last me nearly 3 days. Where my DD can drink a 20 oz bottle in a matter of minutes.

There is no math to be done. The purchaser of the soda card may DRINK as many sodas as they wish. From none to as many as they wish to consume. There is no fair amount. If day one they drink 6 sodas, fine. if day two they drink one soda and get another for anyone else, they drank one AND STOLE ONE. What they do on day one or day three has nothing to do with the FACT that they chose to steal one on day two.

I drink what I think is too much soda but I buy them one at a time. Even the amount I drink has never made the soda card a win, win value to me.

That does not excuse theivery.

Dan

Let me let you in on a little secret.....they belittle, call names etc. just to see if they can get a rise out of ya. Don't stoop down to their level.

Once you do that you are no better then them;) They always throw out that word "respect" all the time. But yet they have a hard time practicing what they preach when someone disagrees with their analogy....

That's when that word is thrown out the window. Heck I even respect their opinion. I don't agree with it but I do respect it.

Let me let you in on a little secret.....they belittle, call names etc. just to see if they can get a rise out of ya. Don't stoop down to their level.

Once you do that you are no better then them;) They always throw out that word "respect" all the time. But yet they have a hard time practicing what they preach when someone disagrees with their analogy....

That's when that word is thrown out the window. Heck I even respect their opinion. I don't agree with it but I do respect it.

i respect theirs if they respect mine... not by being a jerk about it either...

ex: i was raised wrong, its about the way your brought up, morals, im clueless, im a bad example.. bla bla bla bs- lol

I think I figured out how to solve this.

When you buy your soda card, ASK if it's ok to buy sodas for other people with the card. If they say yes, go right ahead. But if they say no, are you willing to finally abide by the rules?

And if, as I suspect, you wouldn't ask, that means you know what the answer is.

I think I figured out how to solve this.

When you buy your soda card, ASK if it's ok to buy sodas for other people with the card. If they say yes, go right ahead. But if they say no, are you willing to finally abide by the rules?

And if, as I suspect, you wouldn't ask, that means you know what the answer is.

of course

i wouldnt mind asking if i can give my BF a drink using my card...if they say yes then ok if they so NO then ok..

oh my, this is still going on? Kurban you are doing a great job hanging in there, and BTW I agree w/ Kurban.:D

Please will those who say it is stealing answer this question?????

One: you buy a soda card, you order said soda, spouse just wants a sip of it, do you let them? Or do you send them to the bar to get their own soda, even though they just wanted a sip???

Second: you buy a soda card, you order said soda, you don't want the rest of it, do you let spouse have it???? Or do you tell them no, go buy one??? Now remember, when you ordered your soda you had every intention of drinking it and then you decided you didn't want it, can spouse finish it????

Second: you buy a soda card, you order said soda, you don't want the rest of it, do you let spouse have it???? Or do you tell them no, go buy one??? Now remember, when you ordered your soda you had every intention of drinking it and then you decided you didn't want it, can spouse finish it????

i wud hope so my bf would throw me overboard n laugh lol

oh my, this is still going on? Kurban you are doing a great job hanging in there, and BTW I agree w/ Kurban.:D

One: you buy a soda card, you order said soda, spouse just wants a sip of it, do you let them? Or do you send them to the bar to get their own soda, even though they just wanted a sip???

Just like many crimes, it comes down to intent. If your intent is to buy 1 soda card for 2 people then it's wrong. If your intent is to share sodas between 2 people for the entire cruise, then it's wrong. The extreme cases you list above are not at the heart of the issue. Technically yes, even offering a sip or the remaining soda in your cup is not in accordance with the rules, but there's no intent on doing wrong in those cases.

The intent of the soda card is to provide sodas for the person who purchases the card.

If you give your BF or your cabin steward or your waiter a sip of the soda it isn't stealing. You've shared the one you have purchased with them.

If you intentionally use it to buy a soda for your BF or your cabin steward or your waiter it is stealing.

I agree you should ask when you go on your cruise. They should be able to explain the spirit of the soda card and then it is up to you to honor or dishonor the agreement.

If your BF is a police officer as you claim I would assume he would purchase his own card rather than short change the cruise line and use your card.:)

Just like many crimes, it comes down to intent. If your intent is to buy 1 soda card for 2 people then it's wrong. If your intent is to share sodas between 2 people for the entire cruise, then it's wrong. The extreme cases you list above are not at the heart of the issue. Technically yes, even offering a sip or the remaining soda in your cup is not in accordance with the rules, but there's no intent on doing wrong in those cases.

Yes, but several of you have pointed out that no matter how small it is still stealing/cheating and they would never do that. I believe several of us were trying to say just that, that if spouse wants a sip or to finish it off then it is not stealing. According to the law, lots of things are against the law regardless of intent. In my case I knew DH would not be drinking soda so he didn't get a card, I knew my DD and I would be. But I also have no problem letting him finish my soda or have a sip.

DW gets a soda card, I do not. I mostly drink iced tea and the other free beverages. That said, if I want a soda, I buy one at $1.50 or $2.01 tax/tip included. The only instance where I have had a "sip" from DW's soda was when I started coughing and I was out of my drinks and there was no server around. Another extreme example.

Personally, I will/have sipped off my DW's drinks when we purchase the soda, I have not sipped of my DW's drinks on the soda card. To me, it is different. In one case, you are purchasing a set volume or amount of product. In the second, you are purchasing the all that one person can consume. You pay more and the amount that that person consumes determines if it was "a good deal" or not. I do think it is the same as the no sharing rule for buffets. And i would not consume from DW's drink except in an emergency. Obviously, your tolerance for greying the line is bigger than mine. And i don't think either of your cases is allowed. I think that the "sip" is borderline, but I think finishing off a drink if it is more than "a sip or two" is not appropriate. If your spouse wants that much, they can purchase a drink or drink something that is free.

And I don't think my attitude is as hypocritical as you are implying it might be.

DW gets a soda card, I do not. I mostly drink iced tea and the other free beverages. That said, if I want a soda, I buy one at $1.50 or $2.01 tax/tip included. The only instance where I have had a "sip" from DW's soda was when I started coughing and I was out of my drinks and there was no server around. Another extreme example.

Personally, I will/have sipped off my DW's drinks when we purchase the soda, I have not sipped of my DW's drinks on the soda card. To me, it is different. In one case, you are purchasing a set volume or amount of product. In the second, you are purchasing the all that one person can consume. You pay more and the amount that that person consumes determines if it was "a good deal" or not. I do think it is the same as the no sharing rule for buffets. And i would not consume from DW's drink except in an emergency. Obviously, your tolerance for greying the line is bigger than mine. And i don't think either of your cases is allowed. I think that the "sip" is borderline, but I think finishing off a drink if it is more than "a sip or two" is not appropriate. If your spouse wants that much, they can purchase a drink or drink something that is free.

And I don't think my attitude is as hypocritical as you are implying it might be.

Perhaps I am implying that some of these answers are really just too good to be true. If say you were choking and then had a "sip" of your wife's soda, then being the honest person that you are then you should then go buy a soda to make up for the fact that you took a sip.

I agree... it's all about your intent. If you go on a cruise bragging about how you got one card for a family of four, that's wrong. If you happen to share a sip or two with your spouse because you didn't want the rest, I think that's ok. It would be just thrown out anyway. Are some of you saying that instead of drinking the rest of a soda that would have been thrown out, you would go and buy your own? Don't you view that as wasteful? Don't you view being wasteful as morally wrong?

I appreciate honesty but you AREN'T a perfect person if you can't accept basic human character and you so strongly judge others. I laugh at the "holier-than-thou" attitude... You would be a better person if you didn't try to throw it in someone's face!

On a side note, I think the price of the card is set by cruiselines to anticipate a little sharing. I can't remember who said it, but soda cards are expensive because the cruiselines know people share. People share because they're expensive and "not worth it for just one person" etc. etc. I don't think that justifies the "family of four sharing" (example) but that's how it works.

All I know is that the only time I share a soda card is when I'm mixing drinks in my cabin with the smuggled booze I brought onboard.....:D

Just remember... everytime you go outside while you are on the clock is stealing business time and money from your boss.

If you are a heavy smoker, and you smoke a cigarette every 30 min, you have stolen about an hour of pay from your boss.

Is that not the same as taking a drink of someone else's soda bought on a soda card?

My last post.

i guess im clueless i still dont see that im trying to sneak a child in an amusement park- i still dont see that im teaching a child to steal-:rolleyes:

We all see that you do not see what you're doing is wrong. And Islandchicken, that IS NOT an opinion, it is a fact. A sad fact, but a fact.

And respect is earned and rationalizing theft is not going to earn any respect from me.

Dan

I agree... it's all about your intent. If you go on a cruise bragging about how you got one card for a family of four, that's wrong. If you happen to share a sip or two with your spouse because you didn't want the rest, I think that's ok. It would be just thrown out anyway. Are some of you saying that instead of drinking the rest of a soda that would have been thrown out, you would go and buy your own? Don't you view that as wasteful? Don't you view being wasteful as morally wrong?

I appreciate honesty but you AREN'T a perfect person if you can't accept basic human character and you so strongly judge others. I laugh at the "holier-than-thou" attitude... You would be a better person if you didn't try to throw it in someone's face!

On a side note, I think the price of the card is set by cruiselines to anticipate a little sharing. I can't remember who said it, but soda cards are expensive because the cruiselines know people share. People share because they're expensive and "not worth it for just one person" etc. etc. I don't think that justifies the "family of four sharing" (example) but that's how it works.

All I know is that the only time I share a soda card is when I'm mixing drinks in my cabin with the smuggled booze I brought onboard.....:D

Exactly the point I was trying to make. Some are saying they would rather waste the soda than give it to their spouse because to do that would be cheating. Whereas like you I view it as normal and wouldn never have given it a second thought.

Exactly the point I was trying to make. Some are saying they would rather waste the soda than give it to their spouse because to do that would be cheating. Whereas like you I view it as normal and wouldn never have given it a second thought.

same here~

We all see that you do not see what you're doing is wrong. And Islandchicken, that IS NOT an opinion, it is a fact. A sad fact, but a fact.

And respect is earned and rationalizing theft is not going to earn any respect from me.

Dan

because it isnt wrong..;)

Archived