What is your fav. Souvenir you got on a cruise

BigTee2000

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My favorite souvenir, which is no longer available, is a 14K gold anchor from ships I've sailed on.

I wear my necklace with these anchors EVERY day. My mother requested that she be buried with her necklace with the anchors; her wish was granted in 2003 when she died.

<sigh>

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We have several Limoges plates from Home Lines "Oceanic". They are bigger than a dinner plate and we have them hanging on the wall in our dining room. Back then, when you took a longer winter cruise on Home Lines, you got a "thank you for sailing with us" plate. We also have coasters, silk scarves, an alabaster thermometer/barometer, a delft plate and a silver pitcher from the Home Lines, not to mention a couple of bottles of cologne (both for men and women that are long gone, now. Ah.....Home Lines.....they truly set the standard for cruising!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Some of my favorite things were free.

Ship on a Stick Won Name that TV tune

Carnival medal Winning team for Family Feud

(okay I admit half the fun of winning these two was that there was a corperate group there and half of them had been on the cruise before and half on mine and they were just obnoxious trying to win stuff to 'beat' the other group on the number wins)

Won a gunny sack bag that says Viva Mexico from the Jewlry lecture. Love that bag it's great for the farmers market as it scrunches up small.

Sack had a local tequilla, a serape, a hat and some other little trinkets in it. Was really a nice prize and I kept some and gave some away.

However I did buy a thermal cup (bought it filled with coke and there was a refil charge for it, but I never did refil it haha just wanted the cup) that I still have.

Also bought one picture (of me and my dad).

Bought two small jewelry items from the museum in Cozemel. A silver ring (that I wear still today) and some black and red coral earings/necklace.

Don't know that I bought much else I"m not a huge souvineer kind of shopper.

Edited by okbookgirl

• 2 months later...

After many cruises in both Mediterranean and Caribbean, where I've brought back vanilla from Mexico, spices from Grenada, hand made carpets from Tunisia, jams and chutney's from Barbados, old maps and local history pamphlets and a ridiculous number of photographs, t-shirts, local crafts, seashells and dooh-dahs from just about everywhere; there is one item I now always look for and which is the ONLY item I will buy as a cruise souvenir.

A local painting. Especially if I see something with a chicken in the picture.

Just haggle and buy what you like. Have it rolled up and either Fed-Ex it back home from a port or carry it yourself if it isn't too long a roll.

When you get home take it to an art framing business where you'll likely find the proper stretching and framing costs more than the painting, but that's okay, it's going to be displayed in your house and you're going to start calling yourself an "Art Collector".

IMG_5863.JPG

IMG_5866.JPG

IMG_5865.JPG

Cruise12%2520240.JPG

Art039.JPG

Art038.JPG

Cruise Critic forum only allows 6 pictures in a single posting, so here is a picture which hangs in our kitchen which you will also see in the first top picture at a beach at Isla Margarita in the Dominican Republic.

Art041.JPG

We only have six paintings from Caribbean islands so I'm not really an "Art Collector" and my only knowledge of the subject is that if you like it, then that's what matters. But it's the only cruise memorabilia that's brought us real pleasure and memories.

Haggle and carry cash. Don't insult the vendor by asking for change. I always put what I'm prepared to pay in one pocket - say it's $120, then my final offer is to pull the money out of the pocket and show the guy that's all I've got.

Usually works. The picture above they would'nt come down at the end so I threw in my watch which was only a cheap Timex, and they relented and we had a deal.

My favorite thing is the cruise ship scrapbooks & paper packs I've gotten on Celebrity. I'm hoping RCCL sells them. We collect Christmas ornaments too.

Also, my husband. We were introduced by my BFF on a cruise on NCL. It was a Spring Break trip with several friends. We will be celebrating our 5 yr wedding anniversary(10 yrs together) appropriately so, on a cruise ship. :)

• 1 month later...

Cruise2013%2520201.JPG

Bought this frigate bird painting along with two others last month in Antigua while cruising on Adventure of the Seas out of San Juan.

Spent more on the framing than I paid for the paintings - but no matter, we like them on our walls as a souvenir of a fun trip.

IMG_6636.JPG

Banana ladies

IMG_6638.JPG

Crazy rooster

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

AHOY SHIPMATES,

We've done a lot of cruising and many items we planned on collecting went by the wayside to avoid finding ourselves on the TV show about hoarders

Being Holland America fans there are a lot of nice amenities The 2 paneled living room walls are adorned with the Delft china plates from the World cruises.

On the kitchen wall I hung wooden coat pegs with the ships coffee mugs

from all the HAL ships.

When we got our Hot Tub I purchased 2 of the large towels that are in the suites( I have the receipts) and have them on a rack beside the spa.

All the foreign coins and a lot of other stuff we gave to the grandchildren

for show and tell at school.

The medallions awarded to Mariners(old system) I filed the back off smooth and gave to my poker buddies for card covers.

The extra nice shopping bags (old Style) I took apart and made vests/

jackets for pool/lido use, cumberbuns , bow ties ,string ties for formal nights, etc.

The clothing items create a conversation starter and have gotten us

several bottles of wine from various senior officers on the ship as well as the CEO of HAL.

I do have a question for those who collect sand.....Do you have a cat?

Gary

I have been thinking about this thread for some time.

My absolute favorite is a plush kangaroo with a joey in her pouch that I received in 2002 on the Volendam's Maiden Asia-Pacific cruise. It was a stateroom gift from Holland America and has the logo for the cruise on the chest of the kangaroo. It has sat on the top of my dresser since 2002 and reminds me daily of the joys of that magnificent cruise!

• 1 month later...

I would have to say my very favorite is all the pictures my boyfriend and I take. My favorite real souvenir is kinda trite. . . but I collect a shot glass at each port as they are inexpensive and don't take up a lot of room in the luggage :o

• 3 weeks later...

We started doing this on our first cruise, and now 15 cruises later, we have a little "foot" album..:D We take a pic of our feet up on the side table or ottoman on the balcony. Usually , just the ocean behind, and probably always taken on a sea day.

I also collect small rocks and place them on my mother's grave when I get back home.

I would have to say my very favorite is all the pictures my boyfriend and I take. My favorite real souvenir is kinda trite. . . but I collect a shot glass at each port as they are inexpensive and don't take up a lot of room in the luggage :o

Shot glasses are great souvenirs and it's amazing to see the diversity of them. I have one shaped like a boot.