Cabin Classes - Enlighten me

SFImporter

So I see posts from folks who say - we were guaranteed an H Class cabin and were upgraded to a D.

I see on the Regent site where the different classes appear on different decks, but the layouts and space all seem to be identical - at least on the standard rooms (I realize the luxury suites are larger or have bigger balconies, etc.).

Is there anything special that differentiates say an "H" from a "D"? It seems that the higher up one's cabin is on the ship, the more reports there are of noise from public spaces above.

I have to say that on my first cruise aboard the Mariner to Alaska, we relished our deck seven cabin. Walking out on the balcony made it feel as if you were on your own private yacht watching the glaciers go by - so close you could almost touch them.

What am I missing?

You have asked a very good question.

I have always felt that the lower and closer to the middle of the ship the better off you are. (less movement.) Then when you look at price structures of all cruise lines the higher you go the more they costs. HUH?

Regent is a little different because like you said most of the cabins are the same until you get to suites etc.

After being in H to D's the only thing I can say is the easy access to the pubic places is much better the higher up you go. And you are right about some D cabins having a little noise from public areas.

I really don't think you are missing something. Just the way things are done.

PS

Don't tell the Regent people or they might just reverse everything! LOL

Thanks for starting this thread. We are ready to book a cruise on Navigator in December and I was struggling with cabin choices as well. My TA suggests a category D, or if I prefer butler services, a Penthouse A. Penthouse B suites are sold out.

Given that Regent should already have excellent service, I'm not sure that I would find a butler useful. Also, Penthouse A suites are just below an activity deck. We just returned from our first cruise in the Med last month. We traveled with a large multigenerational group (and our 3 children) on a megaship. In that instance, I found the suite with a butler to be wonderful.

This trip will be the first time we have left our kids for more than one night in 11 years.

Class D suites are on decks 6 and 8. Sound like a good choice?

Thanks!

We go for the lower cabins since I like stability, and we also want value. I would imagine one advantage of a higher cabin would be a better view from your balcony. Not a big deal--I got to have an intimate view of the flying fish going by, and the docking goings-on from my Navigator balcony last December. But it might be a consideration. Frankly, there may be an element of snob appeal to having a higher cabin.

I once was upgraded to a suite with a butler. I really found the service no better than what one ordinarily receives (which, incidently, is superb). I'd certainly never pay extra to get one.

I have a theory that the suite levels are like airline seats--it's all in how early you sign up. The earliest in get to pay less for the same thing. Once those lower-priced "seats" are gone, you have to pay more because you signed up later. Having the different tiers for essentially the same suite is just the cruise line's way of playing the same game the airliines play.,

The 2 for 1 sail has caught our eye and we too are looking at these cabin categories. One of the things that has given us pause is the small veranda sizes. How small are they? In the layout they only show one chair on the veranda. Is that correct?

I have only one experience to base my opinion on, Mariner to Alaska this May. I see no reason to book anything but an H, unless I really need the space and have the money for a suite. Some of the restaurants are above, some lower, etc. Of course this doesn't apply to the PG since the lower decks are window or porthole cabins, I need my balcony in FP.

I'm looking at Voyager. Most of the balconies are listed as 50 square feet, which isn’t much larger than the mass market balconies. It was the layout illustrations that showed only one chair. I take it there are two chairs on the verandas.

cometgirl, I'd booked an H on Voyager. The upgrade was a nice surprise, particularly as I had my mother with me for what turned out to be her last trip (she passed away a few months later). While I didn't see anything special about the service with a butler, my mother got a real kick out of it, so I have that nice memory of her getting some enjoyment before she got sick.

Re the balcony size, the balconies aren't huge, but two can sit out there quite comfortably. If you bring a third chair out, it does start to feel a little cramped at that point.

Cometgirl, I think whether you get an upgrade depends on how heavily booked the cruise is, and/or whether they have any late cancellations at that level. This particular cruise was sailing below capacity. They will, of course, sell the penthouses to someone who will pay that fare first. But, if they don't, they'd rather leave the cheap seats empty and engender goodwill among their other passengers by offering them the upgrade. I've heard of veteran RSSC pax AND first-time RSSC pax getting these upgrades, so it's not necessarily related to the number of times you've sailed. In other words, there's always a chance....

Linda 22003

Now that was funny.

Sorry for the typo

Just get going to fast sometimes

The balconies have two chairs and a little table.

Plenty of room.

I don't think the mini suites have a much larger balcony.

Really have to jump to regular suite to get larger balcony.

You have to go as high as seven seas suite aft for a larger balcony and it is unclear to me if that has a higher price. The Class C-Horizons have very nice balconies….now I need to find them on the deck plans! Of course, they cost more…but not as much as the suites with butlers.

[crys... my mother got a real kick out of it, so I have that nice memory of her getting some enjoyment before she got sick.]

Crystal, "Bob" loved our butler on the Voyager two summers ago. She made a comment the last two cruises who much she enjoyed that service.

IMO, all the standard cabins on Voyager and Mariner are very good. Given the pricing structure, you can pay $200 pp pd more for the same sized cabin in what Regent considers a "prime" location. That's about a third of the price of my next cruise. So to me the issue is simple. I want to book the cheapest cabin I can get and cruise one third more often than I could otherwise afford to cruise.

Patrick

Archived