Background checks on crew??

NthernLgts

I'm curious if anyone knows if Princess, or cruise lines in general, do background checks on people they hire. I'm sure its difficult due to all the different nationalities involved, I just wonder if there's an attempt. I happen to remember Zoltan as he was an anytime dining waiter of ours on the CB in 2005.

http://www.thecitizen.com/~citizen0/node/20624

I'm curious if anyone knows if Princess, or cruise lines in general, do background checks on people they hire. I'm sure its difficult due to all the different nationalities involved, I just wonder if there's an attempt. I happen to remember Zoltan as he was an anytime dining waiter of ours on the CB in 2005.

http://www.thecitizen.com/~citizen0/node/20624

Please turn your television off!! For your sake.

I am not sure I get the point of the original post.

Yes, the cruise ships use hiring agencies in the individual countries and to the extent they can do background checks they do.

Old Zoltan, while he may have a fetish for young girls, apparently took his business far from the ship and did so with a willing partner. Not sure what the culture and laws are in Slovakia regarding sex with younger girls.

I'd be more concerned with what is around the corner on the street you live on than with the likes of Zoltan. Most of the crew value their job too much to risk getting fired by contact with passerngers.

There are several on-line child predator databases (http://www.nsopr.gov/) such as the DOJ. There is one I cannot find at the moment that gives maps. I was shocked to find a half dozen sex offenders withing 2 miles of my house and we live in "nice" development, 2200-3500 square foot single homes with above average incomes.

So to make a post like that and then (perhaps) imply that we should be careful on cruise ships does not make sense to me. The ship is probably the safest place. Not to say that we shouldn't be careful nonethesless.

How about the center of Ochos Rios? That is where I would start worrying.

Bottom line is that these creeps are everywhere. Never let your guard down. But let's not post something like this and start a cruise ship predator scare.

Old Zoltan, while he may have a fetish for young girls, apparently took his business far from the ship and did so with a willing partner. Not sure what the culture and laws are in Slovakia regarding sex with younger girls.
The age of consent in Slovakia is 15, in case anyone's actually interested in this fact.

I am not sure I get the point of the original post.

Yes, the cruise ships use hiring agencies in the individual countries and to the extent they can do background checks they do.

I'd be more concerned with what is around the corner on the street you live on than with the likes of Zoltan. Most of the crew value their job too much to risk getting fired by contact with passerngers.

There are several on-line child predator databases (http://www.nsopr.gov/) such as the DOJ. There is one I cannot find at the moment that gives maps. I was shocked to find a half dozen sex offenders withing 2 miles of my house and we live in "nice" development, 2200-3500 square foot single homes with above average incomes.

So to make a post like that and then (perhaps) imply that we should be careful on cruise ships does not make sense to me. The ship is probably the safest place. Not to say that we shouldn't be careful nonethesless.

How about the center of Ochos Rios? That is where I would start worrying.

Bottom line is that these creeps are everywhere. Never let your guard down. But let's not post something like this and start a cruise ship predator scare.

I thought it was a valid question...I wasn't sure if they did background checks or not.

Actually I sometimes wonder more about my fellow passengers than the crew. The only background check done on us - the passengers - is the limit of our credit cards. I would never have let my child (now grown) roam the ship without supervision but I see it happen all the time.

Well, we had an incident on the EOS a few years ago w/ my son. Went to Jonnhy Rockets for Dinner w/ otherk kids. We sat them down and the waiter came over. There were 2 13 years olds and he as 10 at the time, plus another little boy w/ us. My son told me on the airplane on the way home that one of the waiters had stuck his hand some my son's shirt. How odd it that? I wish he had told me sooner. I asked him if the waiter was just tucking in his napkin or something and he said.. No. I had no napkin. Goes to show you be more careful. It taught me a lesson. I watch them more closely now.

Next....Youre reading far too much into my original post. It was simply a question on what background checks are run, because I did not know. I suspect you didnt know either. It was more germain to me because I happened to have crossed paths with the waiter in question. Nothing more, nothing less. The laws & culture in Slovakia are totally irrelevant.

katisdale- agreed.

I agree that you're more likely to have problems with the passengers than the crew. If children are on a ship, it's the parent's responsibility to know where they are and set the limits. After all, you're essentially in another country even if you're cruising the Caribbean and you wouldn't give your child permission to run around in a foreign town or city.

On our Sea Princess cruise in the Med last year, a 15 y/o girl was found in the hot tub with a 26 y/o man, in their birthday suits, by a passing ship's officer. He was immediately confined to his cabin for two days, under guard, and disembarked in Barcelona into the waiting arms of the F.B.I.

http://bc.nwcruiseship.org/group.cfm?menuId=56

"A cruise ship is a controlled environment with limited access. All crew members and guests appear on an official manifest. Passengers and crew may embark and disembark only after passing through security. Once a ship is underway, only documented employees and fare-paying passengers are onboard. Cruise lines conduct background checks on prospective employees. In addition, U.S. embassy personnel conduct background checks before issuing work visas to non-U.S. citizens."

"According to FBI statistics, being on a cruise ship is safer than being virtually anywhere in the U.S. in terms of crimes of any type."

On our Sea Princess cruise in the Med last year, a 15 y/o girl was found in the hot tub with a 26 y/o man, in their birthday suits, by a passing ship's officer. He was immediately confined to his cabin for two days, under guard, and disembarked in Barcelona into the waiting arms of the F.B.I.
They should have waited until they'd got ashore, where the age of consent is 13!

(FBI? I didn't know they now ran Spain as well! :D But I know what you meant.)

Background checks are only as good as the country of origin wants them to be.

You have to depend upon and trust those countries to return an accurate background on who is being checked. Many countries are more than happy to give someone a clean report just to get them out of their own borders.:mad:

Our local police arrested a man for raping a young girl , his background had come back fine. The parents hired a PI who went to the mans home country and came back with a police file thicker than a NYC phone book.:eek:

Wonder how all that pertinent info got lost?:rolleyes:

http://bc.nwcruiseship.org/group.cfm?menuId=56

"A cruise ship is a controlled environment with limited access. All crew members and guests appear on an official manifest. Passengers and crew may embark and disembark only after passing through security. Once a ship is underway, only documented employees and fare-paying passengers are onboard. Cruise lines conduct background checks on prospective employees. In addition, U.S. embassy personnel conduct background checks before issuing work visas to non-U.S. citizens."

"According to FBI statistics, being on a cruise ship is safer than being virtually anywhere in the U.S. in terms of crimes of any type."

In the interest of full disclosure, this quote came from the NorthWest Cruise Ship Association, which is not an independent party. Not to discredit what was said, but if it came from an independent source it would lend more credibility.

Geeze from you thread title, I thought you wanted a background check done on all 1,100 or so employees. I'm sure they do something.

Geeze (sic), from one of the above posts, a background check IS done on all 1,100 or so employees :D

Just saw this newsbrief:

"While cruise industry officials told a congressional subcommittee that crime aboard cruise ships is "remarkably low," more victims came forward to tell their side of the story. The victims are urging Congress to pass laws to regulate the industry. "There's some reaching going on by the industry, but maybe they're not reaching far enough," said Rep. Elijah Cummings, D-Md."

The full article is in the Los Angeles Times and requires free registration to read if you are interested.

John

Archived