Just back from Baltics-Star Princess...any questions?

dog

dog,

saw that you put this thread back on notification. Did you use private guides in any of the other port cities besides St. Petersburg? Not a lot of information on guides for other cities like Copenhagen, Stockholm and Oslo. I'm traveling with my mom in 2009, and will need to get around town with as little walking between sights as possible. Thanks in advance.

dog,

saw that you put this thread back on notification. Did you use private guides in any of the other port cities besides St. Petersburg? Not a lot of information on guides for other cities like Copenhagen, Stockholm and Oslo. I'm traveling with my mom in 2009, and will need to get around town with as little walking between sights as possible. Thanks in advance.

No other private guides but on another thread by Boo's Mom you will see the guides she mentions. Excellent info. in Boo's Mom's posts. Go to search on the Baltic forum and type in Boo's Mom.

The John Lawerence Baltic DVD was excellent explaining things to do in the ports. Just google John's name and his site should come up. I believe he retired at the end of the 2007 season.

Quote from Boo's Mom:"Hi Alan...

In Stockholm, we used http://www.stromma.se for the city tour.

We used the same site to make reservations for the 3 hour lunch cruise.

In Russia, we booked with Denrus. http://www.denrus.ru

In Estonia, we booked with http://www.privatetours.ee

In Lithuania, we booked with Krantas Travel. They are located in downtown Klaipeda. Let me know if you can't locate it. I will find the website for you.

In Poland, we used http://www.toursinpoland.com

Berlin...we used http://www.private-berlin-tours.com

In Denmark, we used a company called: Copenhagenwalks. Let me know if you can't find that one either. I'd be glad to find the specific site.

It should be a .com.

In Norway, we reserved our boatride with http://www.boatsightseeing.com

You do not need a reservation, but we made one. Time is so limited in that port, we did not want to face a crowd and not be able to get on the boat ride when it was convenient for us.

Hope this helps.

Let me know if I can help you any further.

It's an awesome itinerary. Spend the time on the research." end quote from Boo's mom. I think it is post 34 on her thread.

We will be doing this cruise on the Crown Princess Sept 7, 08

How far is the cruise port from the airport in Copenhagan?

Any tips on tours and must see?

The ride was about 20 min. by taxi from the airport to the Marriott and then from the Marriott to the port it was about 15 min.

Maybe someone who went directly to the port from the airport will answer.

A tip:

Pre arrange your return transportation as the port taxi line was hectic and a very long wait for those who thought they could just walk off and get a taxi between 8:30 - 10 am in Copenhagen. We were at Frihaven (Freeport).

Best thing to do for must see ideas is read older posts on this forum.

I would suggest a pre arranged tour for the 2 days in St. Petersburg...there are 3 frequently mentioned tour companies mentioned on this site.

• 4 weeks later...

FYI

WE were on this same cruise and we took all the ship tours and were extremely pleased with everyone except in Oslo, that one was ok but not great. Just seemed there wasn't enough time for us in Oslo. We did walking tours in Gdansk and Tallinn and totally enjoyed both. Plenty of time to see the old towns (which is what we were interested in), also shopping and getting a snack. We did most of our eating on the ship.

The 2 days of 9 + hour tours in St Petersburg were very full. We always book the early traditional dining, we just prefer that. However, we didn't go to the dining room either day in St Petersburg. Got some lattees and went to our room to unwind and then went to the Horizon court later for a bite. We were too tired to eat a formal meal. It was a good tired though!

Our whole Baltic experience was fantastic and amazing! So glad I was able to go there, a trip I will never forget and well worth every penny.

Enjoy your cruise!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi! This is only our second cruise so we're doing LOTS of pre-research -- too much, it seems, because we don't know WHERE, but SOMEWHERE in a few of these threads we thought we saw someone say that they're doing construction on Holmenkollen & to skip going there -- did you happen to go there? THANKS for any info!

Because of the short time in Oslo we took the Princess tour to the ski jump wonderful views. It also took us to Vigeland Park and a Viking museum. With the amount of time there I am glad we took the tour and we did see a lot more than we would have on our own.

THANK YOU FOR THE INFO!!!! We thought we might try it on our own but glad to know it's better on a tour! Thank you Thank you!

We were on the Star Princess last August. We did Oslo on our own. We felt we had enough time.

This is from my cruise review:

<Oslo---our plan was to take the ferry to the Viking Museum and then proceed to the Munch Museum (on no one's excursions, but something Pat very much wanted to see) with directions we received from an Oslo native on the cruise critic boards. But because of rainy weather, the ferry was not running. We got directions at tourist information on how to get to Munch and from there to the sculpture park, and then to the Viking Museum.

We found our subway station and did our 4 stops to Munch and 5 stops back to the sculpture gardens. We were impressed with both venues. We then needed the 30 bus to get to the Viking Museum. At the bus stops, the busses are listed along with in how much time the next bus would be there. We were less impressed with the Viking Museum. After taking the 30 and 20 bus back, we realized we still had some time before we needed to be back at 6:30. We went to the National Museum, but it turned out that it closed at 5 on Saturday, and it was now about 5:30. So we returned to the ship. We had seen the 3 venues on our must see list.>

The only port that we felt that we did not have adequate time was Stockholm.

Again from my review:

<Stockholm Our itinerary read Stockholm 8-3. That sounds like 7 hours. But we were in a little late. So we were among the first off at 8;45. You had to be back by 2:30 and the last shuttle was at 2. So there was much less time, and too much to see.

We got to the Vasa Museum just as it opened beating the crowds. I did not expect to be impressed after the Viking Museum, but I was. This is definitely a can't miss attraction.

We then went to Skansen, which was nearby.Let me quote Rick Steves description: "This is Europe's original open-air folk museum, founded in 1891.It's a huge park gathering more than 150 historic buildings (homes, churches, shops,and schoolhouses) transplanted from all corners of Sweden."

We stayed there longer than I wanted and shorter than Pat wanted. We then went to the National Museum. The second floor had Dutch Masters and French Impressionists. As soon as we hit the Dutch Masters, Pat decided we had stayed too long at Skansen. She usually lingers at every picture, but had to move quickly here because of time restraints. And we never got to see the design exhibit on the first floor..

It was now time to get back to make sure we did not miss the ship. There were many more worthwhile attractions to see, but no time.>The entoire review can be found at:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=33517

• 2 weeks later...
We were on the Star Princess last August. We did Oslo on our own. We felt we had enough time...

THANK YOU for sharing your info! I'm glad to know that you can make it around to the main places using public transport -- REALLY appreciate the specific numbers & stops to be looking for! GREAT & helpful info on Stockholm, too! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

We were on the Star Princess last August. We did Oslo on our own. We felt we had enough time...

THANK YOU for sharing your info! I'm glad to know that you can make it around to the main places using public transport -- REALLY appreciate the specific numbers & stops to be looking for! GREAT & helpful info on Stockholm, too! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

You're welcome. I'm glad I could be of help. Previously I had received much help on these boards.

As you get off the ship, you will be by the tourist information. They have large tear off maps. They will mark the places you wish to go, and will give you the specific information as to how many subway stops or which bus to take. They are a very helpful resource.

EXCELLENT news about the maps - this is GREAT information to have! Are the maps available at every port?

I honestly don't remember. Maybe someone else can help with that question.

We definitely had one in Oslo. In Gdansk, we took a ship's tour, so we never checked. In St. Petersburg, we took a private tour, so again we never checked. Anyway, in St. Petersburg going on your own is not recommended. In Talinn, we just followed our Rick Steves book (as did many others). I think we had a map in either Helsinki, Stockholm, or both, but I'm not sure.

I didn't see maps at every port. You can get maps when you go to the shore excursions talk at the beginning of the cruise. They also bring them to your cabin with the Patters and they have extras on the Purser's desk.

I usually print my own off the internet. My old roll call has some resources on it with links.

It is 9/9/07 Star Princess.

Dear Dog - we are doing the Baltic cruise in August - any suggestions regarding local currency - get before hand or use ATM's and what amount would you suggest? Cn we use VISA in restaurants, etc? Bank of america can get local currency for us but minimum is $50.00 - too much, not enough.

also we are thinking of a small group tour for St Pete - suggestions on amount to tip guide/driver?

Thanks Vicky

• 1 month later...

The main concern I am having is our departure time. We are supposed to get back to Copenhagen at 5am and our flight leaves at 10:15 Princess did say that they allow people with tight schedules to leave the ship early, do you think we are going to make our flight, how do we arrange transportation ahead of time?

Also, we are traveling with my parents and they are dead set on taking the Princess tours, I have tried to convince them otherwise since I have been reading the boards but they are just not having it, so...What Princess tours did you take that you enjoyed or didn't enjoy?

The main concern I am having is our departure time. We are supposed to get back to Copenhagen at 5am and our flight leaves at 10:15 Princess did say that they allow people with tight schedules to leave the ship early, do you think we are going to make our flight, how do we arrange transportation ahead of time?

We stayed an extra day in Copenhagen because we did not think we could make our 9 AM flight. When the luggage tags came, my wife said to me that there was a tag for 9 AM Continental flights. I looked, and not only was she correct, but there was also a tag for flights before 9 AM.

They will tell you that your flight is too early. If nothing goes wrong, you SHOULD be able to make it. Of course, if there is some problem, for instance with immigration, all bets are off.

A complete review of our cruise is at:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=33517.

• 1 year later...

Archived