Is it wrong?

chacha9081

Is it wrong to ask or talk about the price someone else paid for their cruise? I will tell I feel like we got a great deal Glory 11/10/07 with milt. disc. 7 days OV 6B 3 of us less then 1500$ like 1465$ is this good any input? :p

I'm not sure why you would....I have never been asked nor would I ask anyone else.

I'm glad you got a good deal. :)

why is it wrong to ask that question? I'd ask somebody how much they paid for their car....or a nice sweater, whats wrong with asking a cruise ptice? If you paid less than me, congrats, and if you paid more than me, then I got a good deal.

why is it wrong to ask that question? I'd ask somebody how much they paid for their car....or a nice sweater, whats wrong with asking a cruise ptice? If you paid less than me, congrats, and if you paid more than me, then I got a good deal.

I guess I just think it rude. Maybe I am old fashioned. :rolleyes:

I think the bigger question is why ask at all? One of you is going to leave the conversation unhappy. You were happy enough with your price to book the cruise, leave it at that.

If you don't ask about cruise prices at some point, then how do you find out what the most affordable way to cruise is? When we decide to go on a cruise, we decide that regardless of price, but if I learn what people pay and how far out they were from their sail date then I'm better off. Saving a few hundred dollars is not that important on one hand, but on the other hand any savings is good. That's just my opinion. I don't think it's rude.

That would be like asking the stranger next to you on a plane what he paid for his ticket! Fares are like fingerprints!!!! No two are the same! If you can afford the quoted price, you book the cruise--be happy with what you are getting! You'll drive yourself crazy if you compare and compare!

I look at it this way: I pay what I can afford. This year, I had to skip my intended cruise because the price was more than what I was comfortable paying for the time frame I had to work with. Instead, I spent what i was comfy with in Mousetown for a week at Disney.

next year.. who knows might take that 5 day to Bermuda I have been eying for a while. or not.

I don't look at it as someone else getting a better or worse deal, I just am happy I was able to get what I wanted at a price that doesn't put us in hock for the next 5 years.

I have a friend who thought nothing of plopping down $8000 on a piece of artwork that to me looked like a three old with an unlimited supply of sharp pencils got a hold of the canvas. But she wouldn't spend more than $50 on a purse. go figure. .

Personally I wouldn't ask someone whatb they paid for anything. I may be curious but it's really none of my business.

I have not seen many people discussing what they paid except to ask "Is this a good deal?".

I think the answer can be misleading too.

Someone says "I paid $1,000". Then you find out it's US$ (which is $1200AUD) Then you find out it's the base price (no including taxes, port charges etc).

When people are skiting that they got a good deal they tend to leave all the extras out. e I talk whole price, i.e what it really cost me.

I will ask about where people book etc to expand my knowledge for future cruises but I don't really want to know if someone got this cheaper as it won't help me.

The price you pay depends on your circumstances. ie being able to take chance on booking late etc. One person on my last cruise announced that he only paid $1000. Good luck to him but why make others feel bad that they paid more (no-one asked).

While I was brought up to believe it rude to ask how much anyone paid for anything, somehow this is different to me. :confused:

For starters, brochure rates are public. Second, in this tiny microcosm of society (CC), everyone cruises, so in my mind, no harm no foul. Third, if you are that curious, go for it. No one has to tell you.

But, um, yeah, don't ask on board.

Miss Manners just had an article today on the subject of asking what was paid in her weekly newspaper feature on modern day etiquette. Her opinion is that it is never correct to ask someone what they paid for anything. If they wish to tell you what they paid, they will do so voluntarily.

Once on board asking someone what they paid for their cruise may just result in bad feelings. If they paid less than you did, you may be upset and if you paid less than they did, then they may be upset, so why bring up a subject that is likely to be touchy and cause ill will?

Asking in a public forum, like here, is a good way to see if you got a good deal. Since people can choose to respond or not, I don't see anything wrong with it.

However, asking in a face-to-face conversation is the height of rudeness, IMO. Why would you want to do that? If you're certain that you got a fantastic fare, then it seems to me the only point of that question would be to brag, and to make the other person feel bad.

Like several others, I think it is just plain rude to ask anyone what they paid for anything.

I am always happy to share with people the methods we use to get better deals on our cruises, but will not discuss specific dollar amounts.

Here's a great demonstration of why we don't talk dollars: Two cruises ago we were seated with a large group at lunch in the dining room on the sea day. An older guy at the table talked about how he negotiated such a great deal and stated precisely howmuch he paid, then asked every person at the table what they paid. Everyone had paid more than we had ... we felt pretty good and were smiling to ourselves. He asked us and we declined to answer, my DH said, "we got a good deal from a large discount broker". He asked again, "what did you pay?". We again declined to answer. This went on for half an hour and we finally told him ... that we had paid about 40% of what he had paid and were in a far better cabin. He turned white and looked like he was going to have a heart attack.

Because he had been so rude all the way through lunch, demanding to know what we had paid, I felt no sympathy for him. I figure discussing the price paid is just a great way to give yourself a good case of indigestion!!!

Like several others, I think it is just plain rude to ask anyone what they paid for anything.

I am always happy to share with people the methods we use to get better deals on our cruises, but will not discuss specific dollar amounts.

Here's a great demonstration of why we don't talk dollars: Two cruises ago we were seated with a large group at lunch in the dining room on the sea day. An older guy at the table talked about how he negotiated such a great deal and stated precisely howmuch he paid, then asked every person at the table what they paid. Everyone had paid more than we had ... we felt pretty good and were smiling to ourselves. He asked us and we declined to answer, my DH said, "we got a good deal from a large discount broker". He asked again, "what did you pay?". We again declined to answer. This went on for half an hour and we finally told him ... that we had paid about 40% of what he had paid and were in a far better cabin. He turned white and looked like he was going to have a heart attack.

Because he had been so rude all the way through lunch, demanding to know what we had paid, I felt no sympathy for him. I figure discussing the price paid is just a great way to give yourself a good case of indigestion!!!

Priceless!!! and yes, you could consider this a pun.:D

We have no problem saying what we've paid for our cruises. But, the whole price depends on the cabin location and type! Our best price was $299 for 7 days, a BALCONY CABIN, deck 9 - (our favorite deck- pool and buffet). $499 was also good 10 days, Princess, also deck 9 but huge handicapped inside cabin which we didn't ask for but got. If there will be three of you in one cabin, it might not be that good as 3rd passengers usually pays less than 1st two.

I think asking how much someone paid for a cruise is akin to asking them how much money they make on their job. I do agree with some of the others that asking here is not that much of a problem but face to face......No. By doing so you are taking the chance of making someone mad, or getting angry yourself. We had a couple next door to us on a cruise around Hawaii and they flat out told us they had paid about 3000 each, thinking they had a good deal. I avoided telling them what we paid with some ambiguous response. We had in fact paid only about 850 each. So, I was happy, but why cause them frustrations.

Is it wrong to ask or talk about the price someone else paid for their cruise? I will tell I feel like we got a great deal Glory 11/10/07 with milt. disc. 7 days OV 6B 3 of us less then 1500$ like 1465$ is this good any input? :p

This can be a double edged sword....How would you feel about this same $1,500 price after finding that others paid much less for the same/similar cruise and had better room categories? Yes military discounts can be great but cruising in November is relatively inexpensive anyway. Take into account the 3rd person discount, free upgrades, stock holder and past guest discounts - you will definitely run into others that have paid less than $500 pp (average) for an OV. I have seen balconies go for this price.

There will also be others that paid significantly more. It also depends on when your booking was made and what specials may have been running at that particular time. Add OBC perks and the variables are phenomenal. Be happy with your purchase but refrain from asking others outside of CC what they paid.......very inappropriate.

I really like knowing what others paid, how they got their deals, who they use, if they have a particular strategy, etc. and don't mind sharing my details, either.

We try to keep it as close as possible to $100/pp/day for a balcony room.

I have paid nearly twice my "target" before when it was a particular date, port and itinerary we wanted. So having a target and being able to reach that goal are not always possible. :)

IF I am asked how much I paid for something and feel like I do not want that person to know here is what I do:
If I prefer not to tell them I just say; "too much". If I am ask "how much is too much" I reply; "probably more than you would have paid but I wanted it so I bought it". Another nice way of saying it is None of their Business (NOYB) is to laugh and tell them that you are too embrassed to mention the price because you know you paid too much and don't want to embrass yourself any further.

Manners or not we are all going to come across someone who will asks us how much we paid for something. Having good manners also means knowing how to let someone know that they really don't have to know the answer to the question they just asked you.

Would you ask a total stranger, or would you like it if a total stranger asked what you paid for your car, dress, shoes, necklace, wedding ring, airline ticket, or whatever? It's rude, by any definition, to ask strangers what they paid for anything. If you can't figure out if the price you paid for your cruise is a good deal, then you haven't done your homework. To ask something personal like what someone paid just so you can discover if what you paid is a good deal, well, to me it still rude.

Manners or not we are all going to come across someone who will asks us how much we paid for something. Having good manners also means knowing how to let someone know that they really don't have to know the answer to the question they just asked you.

I could not agree more.

Archived