Excellent Luggage Service

KAYEF

:) :) I've not seen this mentioned (yet) but we just disembarked from Zaandam in San Diego and took advantage of the "new" luggage service. We turned in our air information, the ship contacted the airline who apparently e-mailed back our boarding passes and the long, bar-coded strips that go on your suitcase handles.

We affixed the strips, put our luggage outside our door and never saw it again until we got home to Portland. YES! It was on our flights and arrived with us!

All we had to do was walk off, give our cards to Customs and climb into a shuttle for the airport ($5.).............there were cabs all over the place as well.

This service was $15.

We did not have to check in at the airport.............just went through Security and straight to the gate.

THANK YOU HAL for beginning this service (if you do it in all ports!!).;)

We used this service this past May on the Noordam and it was wonderful. It is definitely worth the $15 pp so you don't have to worry about your luggage. We will use it again for sure. Anyone who has any doubts should put their doubts to rest because it works!

Did you have to book your air through HAL?

Do you know if it is available in Fort Lauderdale?

Roberta

No ... you do not have to book your air through HAL.

and Yes ... it is available at Fort Lauderdale.

When you get on board, just ask your steward for the paperwork.

As a Canadian soon to be on the Zaandam, I would definitely use this service if it is available for flights to Canada. Does anyone have experience, yet, with this? Is it offered for all airlines, including Air Canada, or so far only for domestic US carriers, and only in domestic US?

:) :) I've not seen this mentioned (yet) but we just disembarked from Zaandam in San Diego and took advantage of the "new" luggage service. We turned in our air information, the ship contacted the airline who apparently e-mailed back our boarding passes and the long, bar-coded strips that go on your suitcase handles.

We affixed the strips, put our luggage outside our door and never saw it again until we got home to Portland. YES! It was on our flights and arrived with us!

All we had to do was walk off, give our cards to Customs and climb into a shuttle for the airport ($5.).............there were cabs all over the place as well.

This service was $15.

We did not have to check in at the airport.............just went through Security and straight to the gate.

THANK YOU HAL for beginning this service (if you do it in all ports!!).;)

did they mention any San Diego departure time restrictions? We will be taking the Sea of Cortez cruise in April round trip from Medford Oregon via SFO. I was told by HAL that my 10:30 AM departure from SAN on United would qualify. I thing earlier on some board I read that all flights must be after ONE PM. Perhaps since the SAN airport is so very close they have relaxed the time restrictions there.

Re: out of the country, the answer is NO.

Our tablemates were from Canada and couldn't use this service; it said it had to be domestic air service only.

It was certainly wonderful. Fifteen dollars per person............saved LOTS of hassle (and tips as well.)

This excellent new service leads me to comment that HAL is seems to be really trying to improve many areas of its onboard guest services.

On this same cruise, luggage was delivered more promptly, PA announcements were kept to a minimum, there were staff members dispensing hand sanitizer at every turn... anywhere near any food or gangway, self-disembarkation running smoothly, better merchandise in the shops, just lots of small things that makes one glad to be on board.

puli

I did a post and it just VANISHED so I shall try again and hope it doesn't double post.

There were no flight time restrictions that I can remember but when I'm in Cruise Heaven I don't concentrate on much!

We were in the airport before 8:45 a.m. and our flight wasn't until

2:00 p.m. so they didn't have any problem getting OUR luggage there on time!

People always complain, but even if this IS another way for them to make money (which is what they need to do), it is a GREAT SERVICE and we are thankful that HAL thought of it.............doubt it was the airline's idea.:p But, you never know.

No dock hassle, no having to find a person to haul it out to the bus or cab.............no worry that it won't fit into a cab...........just walk off and that's IT.:)

Archived