Luggage Question

SassyCheryl

I use cable ties when flying, then switch them out for locks for getting to the ship......sometimes the TSA people can't find the key or are too lazy and they cut it off anyway...and of course, don't pack anything valuable, and don't pack medicines in your checked luggage-carry these with you......

just my opinion.....

I use the TSA locks and have never had a problem with them being cut off. When the locks first came out a few years ago, that was a problem, but in most airports it is no longer a problem. Most TSA locks now come with a guarantee that they will be replaced for free if they are cut off by the TSA. I see the locks as being more of a deterrent to theft than a cable tie.

Cable ties are easy, but also just as easy for a thief to cut off. (They know everyone keeps nail clippers in the outside pocket, too.) IMO, they are a false sense of security for your bags.

A determined thief who targets your bag will get into it, lock or no lock, ties or no ties, if they want to. Having a lock may be just as much a false sense of security if a thief knows you have valuables (jewelry, cameras, ipods, etc.) in your luggage. So never put valuables in your luggage, period. ;)

I normally never lock - I have TSA locks in my bags but for whatever reason I never use them. That and I probably get my bags inspected by TSA about half the time. My standing joke is that I might as well just wad my clothes up in my bag since they end up that way anyway.

I never pack anything valuable anyway so maybe that's why I never lock them.

Always lock your bags--always! You don't HAVE to use TSA locks--(TSA likes you to, but you don't HAVE to!)

The ship doesn't go by TSA rules, but lock those suitcases anyway. Why would you give open access to your stuff--even if you don't think it's worth anything???? Do you leave your house unlocked? Your wallet or pocketbook open for anyone to rifle through? Of course not! Why would you make it easy for someone to even LOOK in your stuff!

It's a matter of principle! Make it difficult for anyone to take advantage of you and your belongings.

My very first trip was to England in 1987. I used the little lock that comes with the suitcase. At the airport they made me remove it before my bag could be checked. Since that time, I've never locked my suitcase. If I have anything of value, it's in my carry-on with me. I usually take a second bag for souvenir purchases, I check my original carry-on and the souvenir bag becomes my carry-on for the trip home.

I saw a program on TV, where folks were taking the bags and slicing them open, never touching the locks. If someone wants into your bag to steal something, all they have to do is take the whole bag, not just open the lock or ties.

Frankly I'd suggest using 2 or 3 cable ties for your flight to the port and again from the port to the airport after the cruise. After you get your luggage at the airport I'd suggest putting locks on them before checking them in at the port.

Then after the cruise, when you are asked to put your luggage out the night before, I'd suggest putting locks on, but then taking them off and using cable ties at the airport.

I think cable ties are fine for flying, but at the port to and from the ship and also on the ship before the luggage gets to your room and after wards when you put the luggage in the hallway, the luggage is often sitting with lots of people having the oppurtunity to go thru them.

Archived