Shoes on a Cruise

Geckospot

So, if I take a cruise - what sort of shoes should I bring? I am a shoe fanatic and I love to have my footwear match my outfits. However, since I also need to bring clothes to wear - does anyone have any good suggestions for what combination of shoes to bring that can fit in one suitcase? Like one set of nice flip flops, sneakers, dancing shoes?

Also - I am a total clutz - so I need to help determine how much movement on the water there will be - don't want to be wearing stillettos when we hit a storm!

Everyone is going to have a different opinion, and it also depends on how long your cruise is, but this is usually what I go with. I think the least pairs of shoes I've ever brought was five...and it was for a short cruise:D

1-2 pair of comfy sandals for walking around the ship, and ports of call

1 pair tennis shoes for working out

1 pair flip flops for the pool

2-3 pairs of pumps/dressy strappy sandals for formal night/non formal nights

Ship motion varies from none noticeable to extreme. Most of the time, all types of shoes (heels included) can be worn indoors. On one of my cruise, the ship did rock quite a bit and I was happy I had flat shoes on (since we were leaving from New York in winter, I didn't think high-heel sandals were a good option and brought those easy packable flat shoes for the first/last nights). I had trouble walking straight, I don't want to think about trying to walk with high-heels on! On formal nights, I had heels on but the ship motion was not an issue those nights. I know my flat shoes would not have looked the best with my cocktail dress but I would prefer to look fashion impaired than breaking a leg if the ship rocks and rolls alot.

For my 6 and 7 nights cruise here is what I packed:

- 1 pair of Running shoes (workout and active excursions)

- 1 pair of tan 2'' comfy sandals (days at sea, walking in ports, some casual dinners)

- 1 pair of flip flop (pool and beach)

- 1 pair of high heel sandals that fit my 2 formal dresses + a couple of other casual outfits (formal dinners, some casual dinners)

- 1 pair of flat black shoes (dinner 1st and last night out of New York in December)

As you can see, I am not an over-packer. I carry my luggage myself and like to pack efficiently (takes more time to decide what to take but no over-crowded closet or suitcase.

I'm another light packer. Although at home I'll wear a different pair of shoes for every outfit, I throw that idea out the window when travelling. I like to keep things simple, not just for the weight of the suitcase, but to have less to organize and store and repack when on a cruise or land trip.

I take 5 pair total, usually I wear a comfortable sandal for travel portion and shore excursions, one pair of black heels for both formal nights, one pair shoes for casual nights dinners, one pair sneakers for walking laps and one pair flip flops for the pool. I plan my travel wear from the shoes up, not the other way around. After having been on numerous cruises and other land trips, I find I just don't want to take the time to fuss with a lot of clothes and shoes, just the basics for me.

You can pack as many as you like, keeping within the weight allowance of the airline. I've read here where some women will bring along 15 or more pair of shoes for a 7 night cruise. So, pack to your hearts delight if that is what you wish :)

I'm leaving tomorrow, and in the pile to be packed tonight are:

a pair of flip-flops (for onboard)

two pairs of heels (for when I wear a dress)

a pair of black flats (my everyday shoes)

I'm wearing my water shoes (which look like sneakers - Lands End) on the plane since they are the bulkiest shoes I'm taking.

OK, after all that I realize I didn't really answer your question at all :(

I don't think there is really any tried and true answer to the type of shoe, other than on the pool deck you really don't want to wear heels, day or night. The pool deck (as well as other outside decks) can be wet and slippery.

For inside wear, whatever you wish and you are able to walk in. They do have elevators, I use those primarily at night only when I'm wearing heels. In all the cruises I've been on, I can only think of 2 times when I had to remove my heels and hold the hand railing to remain upright on a ship at sea. There really isn't any way to predict how rough the sea will be on your cruise.

Wow! Thanks ladies, you have been super helpful....and made me want to go buy more shoes! Haha, not that I need it.

Also, is there a style of fashion on these cruises - like is the nautical look really in - preppy-or just whatever you want? I'm not that big into pastels and I have a big fetish for black. I just don't want to scare people off...:)

Ok--I don't use the gym, so I never bring tennis/workout shoes! Sandals and flip-flops are fine for going into ports, if you aren't doing strenuous hiking.

Heels for evening wear are needed. (They don't weigh much, so bring many, if you want! I do!) That's about it!

Ok--I don't use the gym, so I never bring tennis/workout shoes! Sandals and flip-flops are fine for going into ports, if you aren't doing strenuous hiking.

Heels for evening wear are needed. (They don't weigh much, so bring many, if you want! I do!) That's about it!

Wow! Thanks ladies, you have been super helpful....and made me want to go buy more shoes! Haha, not that I need it.

Also, is there a style of fashion on these cruises - like is the nautical look really in - preppy-or just whatever you want? I'm not that big into pastels and I have a big fetish for black. I just don't want to scare people off...:)

Wear what you feel comfortable in. Don't worry about any particular style...you will see everything represented. I too also wear a lot of black (White House Black Market is one of my favorite stores!), so that's what I tend to pack. Just go with what makes you feel good! No need to buy clothes you're going to hate after the cruise:cool:

Hi, I just returned from a cruise and it was one of my easiest packing

jobs yet;) I went to the Pacific NW and only brought 5 pairs with me

and it was wonderful!

2 pair of flats (open back closed toe) but a slip on..I guess that would

be a mule but a low heel:)

1 pair of new clogs...flyflots:D , 1 pair of new black slides

and 1 pair of dressy black patent shoes.

It was cool outside and no sandals needed...no flip flops needed...

Around the ship I wore the flats or clogs.

It was great:D...for the Caribbean I always throw in flip flops

and sandals.

Well, I made it through 12 days in Alaska last month with only 3 pairs of shoes:p Waterproof hiking shoes (that double as gym shoes) cute walking flats I could wear during the day and for casual night, and black beaded heeled sandals for formal night (and casual night if I wore a dressier combo)

For a warm weather cruise, I bring one or two pairs of shoes for formal night (last Caribbean cruise we did was 11 days, so 3 formal nights, so I had 2 colors/pairs of heels for formal night) walking sandals (leather), waterproof walking sandals, and running shoes for the gym.

I don't pack lots of shoes. I need the space for wine & books to read;)

I try to keep my shoes limited to water shoes, walking sandles, dressy sling-backs, and runners if I want to go use the gym. I didn't take any flip-flops this year because I knew I was going to buy a pair at Kino's in Key West to try. Nine West had some folding sneakers out this summer that I am hoping to still find to that up a little less room. I'm not in the gym all the time, so I will be willing to exchange shoe support for weight. As for clothing, I start my cruise wear planning around my regular summer clothes and then build on what I still need. I take mostly navy blue or black bottoms and then usually brighter colours of tops to lighten up the look. All black is a little too hot and dark looking for me in the carribean.

I haven't posted in forever - and lost a bunch when they changed over the board :(

I say take 'em all! I have to admit, I'm in the 15+ club. I'm of the opinion that a girl needs choices - and I swell like the dickens in tropical climates - so I never know which shoes will fit.

I usually take sandals to match daytime outfits, dressier sandals for evening outfits, 2 pair of shoes for formal nights and a pair of gym shoes just to make me believe that I'll hit the gym at some point during the cruise........which NEVER happens.........what burn off those hard won calories????

The only thing you need to worry about is how the weight of those shoes adds up if you're flying - you might face overweight charges from the airline. The answer to that is - divide up your shoes among all your luggage and wear the heaviest pair. It's better to take two smaller suitcases than one big one - airlines calculate the overweight charge per bag.

My husband usually gets a couple t-shirts at some point on a cruise (our last cruise was Alaska, at the end of the season--everything was half off--he got a bunch of t-shirts he can wear for work for $5 each) I don't shop much--post cards, that's about it. Depends on where we're going, of course. Read the port of call boards for the places you'll visit and see what other people often buy in that port and see if it's stuff you'll be interested in:p

I haven't posted in forever - and lost a bunch when they changed over the board :(

I say take 'em all! I have to admit, I'm in the 15+ club. I'm of the opinion that a girl needs choices - and I swell like the dickens in tropical climates - so I never know which shoes will fit.

I usually take sandals to match daytime outfits, dressier sandals for evening outfits, 2 pair of shoes for formal nights and a pair of gym shoes just to make me believe that I'll hit the gym at some point during the cruise........which NEVER happens.........what burn off those hard won calories????

The only thing you need to worry about is how the weight of those shoes adds up if you're flying - you might face overweight charges from the airline. The answer to that is - divide up your shoes among all your luggage and wear the heaviest pair. It's better to take two smaller suitcases than one big one - airlines calculate the overweight charge per bag.

Wow....a blast from the past :) It's been years since I've seen you post here. There are a lot of us who have been here a long time and still bring up some of the original posters names.

Nice to "see" you here again!

Archived