Chair Hog Update?

Love Cruis'n

We’ll be on the Crown again this New Years and were wondering if Princess did anything about the Chair Hog issue – especially for “at sea” days?

This past summer we were on RCI’s Brilliance of the Seas in the Med where they had a policy that seemed to work nicely. Towels were dispensed by the pool, and you were told that chairs that were unattended for 30 minutes would have those belongings removed. There was pool staff walking around that used masking tape and markers to monitor the situation.

By any chance is this being done on the Crown? Any alternative solutions being employed, or is just the old Hog v. anti-Hog street fight like days of yore?

It sounds like a good policy to me! Princess, if you're reading these... please try something! There's no reason chairs should be blocked off all day for someone who *might* use it when there are passengers who can't find a place to put their towel so they can enjoy the pool.You'd risk angering a few, but pleasing the majority. :)

You know, I know I am going to sound terrible-but I do not put up with that!!

I might watch the chair for 30 minutes or so and if no one comes back I get either an attendent or move their stuff. Usually there is nothing of great value there-shoes, book, towel-my contention is that no matter what they paid for their cabin it did not entitle them to hold the chair for an unlimited amount of time-especially when other people want it==so call me a B----, but it is my vacation too!!

ClaudiaJ

The last think I wanted to do was stir the pot.

But two points are well taken:

1) Do we think representatives from the cruise lines read these boards?

and

2) It is a matter of pleasing the masses (even if they risk angering a few).

The system on the BOS really worked this summer, and it was a pleasure. Now if Princess wishes to maintain its reputation as being “a cut above” RCI, then let’s all hope they take some sort of action.

If I understand these posts correctly, if a person goes into the pool for 30 minutes it is OK to have his towel, shirt, shoes, etc. removed from the lounge chair.

Actually this happened to me on my last cruise. Went to take a dip and ended up meeting someone i knew from the past...got to talking and before I knew it a good 30 minutes passed. Went back to me chair and my stuff was moved to the floor. Plus my sarong went missing because of the wind on deck. I approached the person in my seat but she played dumb. I was fit to be tied!!! How rude~ Never did find my new sarong that matched mt suit!!:mad:

I guess there really is no easy answer.

I approached the person in my seat but she played dumb.
It's possible that she wasn't the one who moved your stuff. I've moved items when I've noticed them just saving a chair, used the chair, and left before the "owner" of the chair returned.

problem is,if youre up and out early enough , you deserve rights to have a chair,..if you use it , ...but whats an early riser to do when theyre hungry, thirsty, need to use a restroom, want to be in the pool awhile? no answer other then let someone with you watch it I guess...its really not ok to toss someones things, you really dont know how long theyve been gone, nicer to get an employee if its definitely been there an hour or so , obviously not used at all...we go where its a ways from the noise of the pool ,...less hectic and 1 of us watches and is there 100 % of the time...

problem is,if youre up and out early enough , you deserve rights to have a chair,..if you use it , ...but whats an early riser to do when theyre hungry, thirsty, need to use a restroom, want to be in the pool awhile? no answer other then let someone with you watch it I guess...its really not ok to toss someones things, you really dont know how long theyve been gone, nicer to get an employee if its definitely been there an hour or so , obviously not used at all...we go where its a ways from the noise of the pool ,...less hectic and 1 of us watches and is there 100 % of the time...

that is not the same as seeing people going to the pool area, towels and paperbacks in hand at 7:30am....selecting 6 of the best loungers for friends and family.....and then none of them showing up until after lunch or mid-day bingo

We've never had a problem finding chairs at any time of the day on our last cruise anywhere on the ship...well except for near the pool area. But that area didn't really interest us. I'm assuming that's where all the chair hogs gather? Funny though, I'd go jogging every morning before breakfast and noticed the same 6 couples in the same loungers by the pool for the whole entire cruise. It was quite comical watching them though. One of the 5 would always be up at like 7:30 am sitting in the chair with everyones belongings on the other chairs. Meanwhile many of us wouldn't come out until past 9:30/10:00am or so.

someone just has to watch the stuff ,and get an employee when you see sthign like people not using chairs and saving... nothing comical about loving the relaxing sun enough to go out early...and being out there all day....once you find your good sun spot, you want it ... there are tons of people who love to do that, a way to relax..

wish they would construct cubby holes or shelves for those of us who simply want to use the pools and need a place to store our stuff while we are swimming...

IMHO if you are gone for an extended period of time (ie for lunch) the polite thing to do is to let some one else use your chair.

wish they would construct cubby holes or shelves for those of us who simply want to use the pools and need a place to store our stuff while we are swimming...

IMHO if you are gone for an extended period of time (ie for lunch) the polite thing to do is to let some one else use your chair.

Hear, hear! It would be great - I like to swim, but don't sun, so don't need a chair except for my "stuff" - I'd be delighted with a storage place. Nancy

The last think I wanted to do was stir the pot.

But two points are well taken:

1) Do we think representatives from the cruise lines read these boards?

and

2) It is a matter of pleasing the masses (even if they risk angering a few).

The system on the BOS really worked this summer' date=' and it was a pleasure. Now if Princess wishes to maintain its reputation as being “a cut above” RCI, then let’s all hope they take some sort of action.[/quote']

You can bet that people from Princess and the other lines read these boards. Every day, every post? Of course not.

i have been on seven cruises (RCI, Princess, NCL 4X, Celebrity). All were out of NY and the worst by far was the July 1-15 2007 NCL Spirit. By the second day of the cruise all chairs by the pool had items holding them before 8 AM. When I write "by the pool" I mean every chair/lounger that was within eyesight of the pool. On the last sea day I saw 6 of the best positioned lounge chairs being saved from 7:30 until 11:30 AM. After the hogs showed up I waited a little while and then went to ask one of the guys how early did you have to get up to get chairs like that. He said " All you have to do is have one person from your group get up at 7 AM when they put the chairs out and then put towels on all the chairs you need." He had it all figured out.

If somebody is up and in a deck chair at 7:30am and basically stays there all day, that's one thing. If someone dumps a towel, paperback book, etc. on several chairs, and then leaves, that's another. Even if one person is sticking around, then they should just use that one chair. Not "hog" several chairs for friends and family that will come by in a few hours. And leaving for a few minutes to use a restroom isn't the same as leaving for an hour to get a massage (yes, somebody posted on CC a couple of years go that they expected to save their chair that way).

One thing to remember is that the chairs are not to be reserved. And that somebody who wants to take a dip before sunning themselves or somebody who wants to be by the pool to watch their kids may have a definite reason for those chairs (again, not just sticking their stuff on them and coming back in an hour or two).

right but i meant if 1 of us stays ,while other jumps in pool, runs to rest room, grabs a bite to eat...the other chair is occupied 95% of the time...we re into sunning as long as we can!.not HOGGING a chair for the hell of it....if we 're there we are using it..also we're not into hanging by the main pool areas w/ loud kids and noise so usually where we sit , its no big deal...

right but i meant if 1 of us stays ,while other jumps in pool, runs to rest room, grabs a bite to eat...the other chair is occupied 95% of the time...we re into sunning as long as we can!.not HOGGING a chair for the hell of it....if we 're there we are using it..also we're not into hanging by the main pool areas w/ loud kids and noise so usually where we sit , its no big deal...

That is no big deal.

We ALL know what hogging is... We all see it every day aboard... It is annoyingly stark prior to 9 AM.

So many "what ifs" get posted as if THAT hypothetical non-existent problem sort of (no not me) justifies the actual problem conduct...? I hope these weird what ifs aren't a psyche defense mechanism of the 'you know whose'.

What I know about hogging is that it is surely idiotic from a community resource management standpoint. It only scares me when I contemplate, 'This species consumes combustible fuels and possesses nuclear weapons!'

Hmmm... I wonder if a ship load of Iranian or Taliban cruisers would chair hog? (Save or discard that thought? Too close to Veteran's Day - Discard)

Archived