suitcase locks

referee

From the time they were available, we've always used the TSA approved locks on our suitcases, with never a problem.We are driving to Ft. lauderdale for our Dec. 1st. cruise, and was wondering if we should keep our luggage locked .....P.S we are not trying to smuggle anything illegal on board.

I'd not go on a cruise with my suitcases unlocked. A friend of my dad's put her unlocked luggage outside the night before debarking and all her shoes were stolen.

We use the TSA locks and drive to the port most of the time. There hasn't been any problem having them locked. I know that thieves can still get into the suitcase, but it might take a bit longer and I don't think they want to waste the time.

Enjoy your cruise.

Always lock them, no matter if you are flying or riving to the port.

There was just a story on the news this morning showing airline baggage handlers stealing items from suitcases. The baggage handlers on a cruise line can easily do the same thing.

Let them look for someone elses unlocked luggage to pilfer if there are any thieves out there.

From the time they were available, we've always used the TSA approved locks on our suitcases, with never a problem.We are driving to Ft. lauderdale for our Dec. 1st. cruise, and was wondering if we should keep our luggage locked .....P.S we are not trying to smuggle anything illegal on board.

When my wife and I cruised to Alaska in September, we first flew to Anchorage from our home in New York. I wanted to lock my luggage, but as I had not purchased TSA-approved locks, I left my suitcases open.

After we returned home, I did purchase TSA-approved locks. One month later, however, we took a cruise to Canada and New England; as the cruise left from and returned to New York, we were not flying and I used non-approved padlocks. When we travel by car or rail, for example, I will use non-approved padlocks; however, any time we travel by plane I will be using the TSA-approved locks:)

Lock your bags--and you don't HAVE to have TSA locks! If they really want to get into your bags, they will cut the lock off--(and you'll know someone has been in there!) TSA locks are for THEIR convenience--it's not a requirement.

And lock you bags whenever they are not in your possession--on the plane, on the ship, anywhere!!!!!

Are TSA locks good for European trips? Are European airports' security able to open the TSA locks without breaking into them?

In most parts of the world, if airports' security want to get into your luggage, they will have you paged to come and open it. They do not break in and do not have the authority to do so. You can use your TSA locks anyway.

We have been paged to come and open bags in China, and never had a problem anywhere else.

Lock your bags with whatever works for you.

Lock your bags--and you don't HAVE to have TSA locks! If they really want to get into your bags, they will cut the lock off--(and you'll know someone has been in there!) TSA locks are for THEIR convenience--it's not a requirement.

And lock you bags whenever they are not in your possession--on the plane, on the ship, anywhere!!!!!

One problem -- if TSA cuts off your locks, how will you lock your bags (unless they have built-in locks)?:confused:

We have been so fortunate, usually have not locked our bags but this weekend I bought TSA locks. They weren't too expensive. Only time I locked them were the last cruise and they were with non TSA locks but know one cut them. I will now lock at all times!!!

I was able to get the TSA locks last month on clearance at Radio Shack. I believe it was around $5.00 for a 2 pack of 4 number combo locks. Very good price.

I will say that I have already lost about 3 locks in the last 6 years. And each time there has never been a note in my luggage. Nothing missing either, but no note. I would really love to find out how often they actually put the note in the luggage.

Flew from Boston to Texas with TSA locks on my suitcase. The TSA people cut the zipper on the suitcase, ruined the suitcase and left the TSA lock locked !

I work at an airport and if you could see below all of the conveyor belts you would see lock after lock, tags, zipper pulls, shoes, clothes, jewelry, etc. Those bags are packed so tight that some just pop open with one hit on the conveyor. Handles, straps and big suitcases get caught on the belt. I have seen so many popped zippers. TSA has a master set of keys to open your tsa lock. If they cut a regular lock they are suppose to use a zip tie to reclose your bag. That is the easy part of the trip, they are then put on the luggage carts and taken to the plane, slammed and banged on and off, etc. My suitcases look like they have been in a war zone from flying. Just part of travel.

I work at an airport and if you could see below all of the conveyor belts you would see lock after lock, tags, zipper pulls, shoes, clothes, jewelry, etc. Those bags are packed so tight that some just pop open with one hit on the conveyor. Handles, straps and big suitcases get caught on the belt. I have seen so many popped zippers. TSA has a master set of keys to open your tsa lock. If they cut a regular lock they are suppose to use a zip tie to reclose your bag. That is the easy part of the trip, they are then put on the luggage carts and taken to the plane, slammed and banged on and off, etc. My suitcases look like they have been in a war zone from flying. Just part of travel.

Good informative post, flpad. I think many people blame the TSA for cutting off their locks when they are really ripped off by the conveyer belts. I've had a couple of bags searched by the TSA before, and they did put a paper in the bag saying they searched it. I have a couple of hard sided Samsonites that have built in TSA locks, but other than that, I don't have any TSA locks. However, I do always brightly colored cable ties. It's enough to discourage most casual airport thieves, as well as most thieves on the ship.

TSA workers get most of the blame and have even seen the airlines put the blame on them for banged up bags. They would rather the goverment pay the tab and do the paperwork...One conveyor belt at our airport has an arm that smashes bags at least once a day and have seen them try to get TSA to pay, it is an airport ops belt not TSA. You have to remember that most of the people that work on the tarmac and load and unload planes are paid min wage or a little more with no benefits. They don't have a lot to loose. Sad facts of todays non union workers in the airline industry. Do lock your bags, zip tie, tsa lock or just a garbage bag tie. Same for cruises and the bag handlers.

Archived