Xmas cruising - what type of clothes?

38anchor

I am from the UK and am cruising for the first time Christmas week. We are sailing on RCI Freedom of the seas and are going the Western caribbean route (out of Miami, Labadee, Cozumel etc)

Now I know its going to be warmer than it is here at the moment (just above freezing) :eek: BUT do I need to pack for all eventualities.

I already have my 2 formal gowns, so thats not a problem, its just really day and other evening wear.

From what I can gather, the weather can be very interchangeable, hot one minute (sunbathing weather) to quite cold (can't go on deck).

I don't want to over pack, but then again I don't want to take loads of shorts, t-shirts etc for when the weather is (hopefully) hot and loads of jeans, fleeces etc for when its not so good.

What would everyone suggest for this time of year?

I would check www.weather.com the day before leaving, to find out approximately what the weather trend would be. There is absolutely no way to know exactly what weather will do this far in advance.

But, if it were me, I'd pack a little bit of cold weather clothing and mostly stuff for warmer weather. Evening clothes would not change from any other cruise I would take.

The Caribbean stays warm all year so you can expect to wear shorts, tee-shirts, sundresses, capris, etc. The average high in Cozumel in December is about 26C (82F or so), and the lows will be in the upper teens Celcius.

If a storm happens to blow through you could have some wind and rain, but it's not the chilly rain you get in more northern parts of the world!

You might want to bring a fleece, sweater or wrap for evenings because the air conditioning can leave you chilled, especially if it is humid.

BTW - we live 2 hours north of Miami and have been experienced extremely warm weather - 26-28C every day for weeks. I tried to wear a pair of wool pants to work one day and cooked ... so we're still in shorts and sandals here! I imagine it's even warmer in the Caribbean!

Hope this helps!

Hi:) I have sailed the Caribbean many, many times and it really

doesn't matter what month.....the usual temps down there are warm.

Now, that is not to say it might not get a bit cool out on deck in

the evening....but I am telling you the "normal" is warm...all year

round is warm:D but as for cold...don't pack for a cold climate.

If you are concerned about a chill, pack a cardigan or shawl for evenings.

Fleece? No..no....you will not need fleece..I promise:) If you end

up needing fleece I will buy you dinner;)

For daytime, pack a warmup style jacket if you feel the urge

for outerwear...or another cardigan. I usually throw the jacket in

and I live in Florida LOL....

As for your "other evening wear"....I usually wear a skirt and top

or dress slacks and top....or a dress.

I have never had a problem with temps on board.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise:) I sail on Dec 20th too....

can't wait to get back on a ship!!!

Just off the coast of Florida, you will be in the tropics! It won't get "cold" at all--it can be cool when the ship is underway, at night, and the wind is blowing at 30 knots! A light jacket or sweater will be ample. (I simply don't go on deck when I'm dressed up--it messes with my hair!)

Daytimes should be fine for summer clothes.

From what I can gather, the weather can be very interchangeable, hot one minute (sunbathing weather) to quite cold (can't go on deck).

No...you won't experience that sort of cold weather in the Caribbean. Like the others said, a warmup jacket and an evening wrap will be all you will need.

With the route you're on, unless you get really, really unusual weather, the coolest it is likely to get even at night is low 60's F. Sorry, I don't know how to convert to celcius without looking it up. The most I've ever needed on deck at night is a light jacket--like a nylon jacket--or a sweater or shawl.

I wouldn't even need a jacket, but the wind can make it seem cooler and I am a person who gets cold easily. I do need a wrap of some kind sometimes in the dining room or other inside venues, due to the air conditioning.

Days will range from low 70's to 90's. Summer clothing is what you need, with a light jacket and maybe a pair or workout pants or such if you plan on being outside much at night. We sometimes like to walk at night after dinner and shows and change into shorts or pants according to the weather

You can hit a little cooler weather the first and last days if Miami is having a cool snap, but even then it's still going to be much warmer than England (or Nebraska) in winter!

Archived