The Dream? Or the Nightmare? (or why I may give up cruising?)

SailorJack

This link was sent to me by the couple we'll be traveling with tomorrow...to Buenos Aires to embark on the same trip on the Dream. I'm in the middle of finishing packing and took a break to read--brilliant. I was laughing tears.

This is will be our 2nd trip on the Dream. (On the lst trip in the Baltic, it had "motor problems" and we missed a port, ahem--this in light of making it in record time to the Kiel Canal.) One of my favorite "mantras" is "plan plans, not results." Sounds as if you subscribe to that too.

Thanks for the laugh. As this was the first review I've read on Cruise Critic, it's hard for me to believe it could be topped--should I stop while I'm ahead, or will there be more from you?

What an awesome, well written, and fun review...on an otherwise not-so-great cruise.

You do know how to make lemonade from lemons! ;)

We have friends sailing the Norwegian Dream mid January...I'm trying to decide whether to email this review to them...or not!

The funniest review I have ever read in my life. I was laughing so hard that I was crying. You will always have a career in writing if you don't already. I was completely impressed ...had the healthiest laugh in over a decade!! You are a true talent and glad you made the best of this cruise.

Sailor Jack, thank you!!!!:) And thanks to my friend for sending me the link. I wonder if there's ever been a review on CC before that brought so many CC members from so many different boards all over here to just sit down, relax and enjoy the show.

You put my favorite phrase "There's no such thing as a bad cruise" to the test and your experience just shows that when we really love cruising, we really love cruising no matter what happens.

This is the best writing ever on CC, no exception! And I've read a lot of reviews since they're my favorite part of this board.

May you have many amazing cruises in your future ... and keep writing about them!!!

Laugh and the world laughs with you ... you've sure proved that.:)

Sailor Jack, thank you!!!!:) And thanks to my friend for sending me the link. I wonder if there's ever been a review on CC before that brought so many CC members from so many different boards all over here to just sit down, relax and enjoy the show.

You put my favorite phrase "There's no such thing as a bad cruise" to the test and your experience just shows that when we really love cruising, we really love cruising no matter what happens.

This is the best writing ever on CC, no exception! And I've read a lot of reviews since they're my favorite part of this board.

May you have many amazing cruises in your future ... and keep writing about them!!!

Laugh and the world laughs with you ... you've sure proved that.:)

Heather, we welcome you to visit this thread as well: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=676326 We would like to have representation from all the cruise lines.

Loved your missive. We got off the Dream the day you got on. We did the 18 day cruise. This is the third time we have sailed on the NCL Dream and hold the ship, crew and Captain in high regard. Our cruise was flawless. We wish you would have had a great cruise. How many people get into their cars each day never expecting a mishap, and then whaaaaaaammmm! I know for sure the Captain was not looking for something to run into thus ruining the cruise.

YOUR attitude is commendable given the rest of the passengers wanted to make the Captain "walk the plank." We have sailed with NCL 9 times and have booked a cruise with them again for Spring 2008. We hope that the positive NCL ambassordors prevail over the negative reviewers.

Thanks for the laughs!

Vic and Judi :)

Loved your missive. We got off the Dream the day you got on. We did the 18 day cruise. This is the third time we have sailed on the NCL Dream and hold the ship, crew and Captain in high regard. Our cruise was flawless. We wish you would have had a great cruise. How many people get into their cars each day never expecting a mishap, and then whaaaaaaammmm! I know for sure the Captain was not looking for something to run into thus ruining the cruise.

I agree with your assessment, but just wanted to point out that even more rare is the number of cruise ship captains who expect to run into a car when then get up in the morning. :eek:

Pete

YOUR attitude is commendable given the rest of the passengers wanted to make the Captain "walk the plank." We have sailed with NCL 9 times and have booked a cruise with them again for Spring 2008. We hope that the positive NCL ambassordors prevail over the negative reviewers.

Thanks for the laughs!

Vic and Judi :)

Your cruise was 4 days longer than mine..so what additional ports were scheduled for the additional 4 days?

I can put out the one liners with the best of them, but this review was by far the funniest thing I have read in a long, long time...

We are first time cruisers and even though this would normally be a horror story for anyone not used to being on a large floating tin, I actually am looking forward more than ever to setting sail in February.

(Of course, every ointment has a fly..in this case the owner of the "funny as a funeral" remark. But alas..not everyone is meant to understand, nor enjoy a great sense of humor. It is, however, where the rest of the world gets its material..;))

SailorJack, if we happen at any time to find ourselves on the same ship, I will bow down to your comic and writing genius, if I can stop laughing long enough. Thanks for the great laugh...

My husband and I are about to leave on this cruise, on this Dream (hopefully not another nightmare) on Feb. 3. One can only hope the line will be so worried about mutinies, riots etc. that they will have hired a competent Captain and crew, and store more than enough food.

And I was worried whether we should trust shore excursions run by the natives rather than rely on ship excursions! I should just be happy if we actually arrive at planned ports!

Assuming that the best will happen, I would like to know if anyone has tried ShoreTrips.com, especially for Ushuia.

We have traveled lots, but more on land rather than on ocean cruises - we'll see if this trip was a wise decision.

Thanks for letting us know how to behave in the face of disaster!!:

#1 ET

HaVE just finished reading your review of the NCL Dream and it is so funny that I actually wet my pants reading it and have passed it on to all my cruising buddies..It takes much for me to roar outloud at anything... and your review had me in stitiches..seriously.. Now, I'm sure your laughing at it, but did you the whole time...There are so many funny lines you must be a comic writer...lol We are scheduled to cruise her on 6/1/ to Bermuda and I will bring a few fuses..Sadlywe just got off the Celebrity Galaxy and we had the worst ports with their cancelling Casablanca..being ripped off by tour guides in Agadir.. Someday I hope we meet, your my kind of cruiser and fun guy.....BTW where in Atlanta.. parrotmom@verizon.net

Just read your review. That was great fun. You have quite a gift with words. I was also amused with the positive rating you gave the ship. Clearly your great sense of humor, allows you to make the best out of every situation. I hope you end up on a cruise with me!

Just read your review. That was great fun. You have quite a gift with words. I was also amused with the positive rating you gave the ship. Clearly your great sense of humor, allows you to make the best out of every situation. I hope you end up on a cruise with me!

I gave the ship a positive review because - overall - the cruise met most of my expectations. I had five expectations of the cruise- (1 - and most important) round Cape Horn, (2) visit Argentina, (3) visit Uruguay, (4) visit Chile, and (5) visit the Falklands.

I only missed one objective - the Falklands. The ports that we missed were ports that I had never heard of prior to the cruise - so missing them was immaterial.

The unexpected aspect of the cruise were the people that we met on the ship. We had as much fun visiting with them as we have had on any cruise.

It just wasn't that hard to have fun. I think that most of the people who have commented on this string would have been just as positive. This was only our sixth cruise, but I have found that more experienced cruisers than us have an ability to roll with the punches. They understand that a ship at sea is going to be subject to many extingencies.

The ship didn't sink and nobody was injured. What more can you ask for?:rolleyes: