Food in Egypt, Turkey, & Israel

Donna_In_India

Forget being "safe". What are the absoultely wonderful not-to-be-missed street or local foods in Egypt, Turkey, & Israel?? :D

UMMMMMM -- "Pharoah's-Revenge-on-a-stick"??

Hard to enjoy the pyramids when you are looking for a place to go!

Sorry - I would recommend being "safe."

Here are some things I'm looking forward to trying in Egypt:

Koshari -- a local Egytian dish made up of rice, pasta, brown lentils, fried onion, and salsa (hot or normal)

Fool Beans -- fava beans cooked in various ways and sold in flat bread sandwiches, on on plates to eat with bread. Can be for breakfast, or any time of the day

Tarmeya --deep fried patties of beans, and green vegetables with a crispy outside. Really good, normally in a flat bread sandwich

Fateer --a form of pastry (which it thrown until it is very thin), then it is filled with cheese, meat, tuna fish, banana, honey, jam, nuts, sultanas - and other things. Also called "Egyptian Pancakes"

Bamia --okra, cooked in various ways, but often with tomatoes and meat

Stuffed Vegetables "Mashi" --peppers, vine leaves, zucchini, thin slices of eggplant, tomatoes.

Oriental sweets -- often include nuts and honey, the same as in most of the middle east

Grilled meats and chicken (kebabs)

Here are some things I'm looking forward to trying in Egypt:

Koshari -- a local Egytian dish made up of rice, pasta, brown lentils, fried onion, and salsa (hot or normal)

Fool Beans -- fava beans cooked in various ways and sold in flat bread sandwiches, on on plates to eat with bread. Can be for breakfast, or any time of the day

Tarmeya --deep fried patties of beans, and green vegetables with a crispy outside. Really good, normally in a flat bread sandwich

Fateer --a form of pastry (which it thrown until it is very thin), then it is filled with cheese, meat, tuna fish, banana, honey, jam, nuts, sultanas - and other things. Also called "Egyptian Pancakes"

Bamia --okra, cooked in various ways, but often with tomatoes and meat

Stuffed Vegetables "Mashi" --peppers, vine leaves, zucchini, thin slices of eggplant, tomatoes.

Oriental sweets -- often include nuts and honey, the same as in most of the middle east

Grilled meats and chicken (kebabs)

All these are great but I would still be careful where I ate them. I feel the same way about the USA. I wouldn't eat food on the street corner in a major USA city.

Keith

I know a lot of people are worried about what they eat in foreign countries but OMG I couldn't imagine getting back to NYC and not having something from a street vendor!! And if people really knew what goes in restaurants - even the best of them - I seriously doubt anyone would eat anywhere but home! Just because you don't "see" it......

Thanks Cruisemom. Lentils are an everday staple here in India and one of my favorites - and I love okra!! I am looking forward to trying all kinds of new things on this cruise!

We have friends who have successfully and happily eaten their way through much of the world. They've gotten sick, but never because of the food they've eaten (usually it's a cold or some respiratory). We asked them if they were particuarly careful or wary. Nope, with some obvious cases. I feel that some folks are a little too careful and their systems are so 'clean' that just about anything sets them off. We had friends go with us to England/Ireland/Scotland and they would only eat at American fast food chains or on the ship - go figure. They still got upset stomachs. We ate everything and never had a problem.

In short, we can't wait to experience the food of Egypt when we are there. The fateer and koshari sound incredible.

Charlie

We had friends go with us to England/Ireland/Scotland and they would only eat at American fast food chains or on the ship - go figure. They still got upset stomachs. We ate everything and never had a problem.

Charlie

Wow!! American fast food chains (burgers??) in the UK?? Now, that's a scary thought. :D

Actually the meat in the American fast food chains outisde of the US is very different. Who knows what kind of guidelines are in place? I'm so beef deprived in India that I do have a hamburger every chance I can get. Two most recent really bad meals have been a burger at McDonald's in Morocco and just this past week a burger at a Hard Rock Cafe in Mumbai. I never get sick from anything but usually they are so bad (even smelly!) I never get past a bite or two anyway.

I'm sure a lot of what will be available in Egypt will be vegeterian so that's fine with me. I just hope there's some really good desserts. Now that's something that I really miss!!

I guess everyone has their own guidelines based on past experiences and knowledge of their digestive issues! I have what family and friends term a "cast iron" stomach and enjoy trying new foods, so it's not much of a worry to me. Of course I wouldn't take unneccessary risks, but I do plan to try as many of the local specialties as I can.

Having been on a land tour and Nile River cruise in Egypt, I speak from experience. Our tour group was about 20 people and half got sick. Many took the attitude I have a cast iron stomach and can eat anything! It is not what the food is, it's what the food is washed or grown in. Most cooked food is fine as well as fruit you can peel. The water in the Nile has a microbe in it that makes it dangerous. Those that eat and drink anything better visit their doctor beforehand for some serious medicine. By the way, we didn't get sick, I didn't want to miss any of the trip just so I could try some unknown food from an unknown source. Eater and drinker beware!

Carol

Donna - yeah, it was pretty funny and sort of sad at the same time. The husband teaches safety and sanitation in food industry and he has become increasingly cautious with his eating habits. I took the class from him and it was awhile before I could eat out again. Long since gotten over it though:D .

Yes, you do have to exercise caution with what you eat in a foreign country, especially with its connection to local water - which we are extremely cautious about. One tour of the Nile offered to take its passengers swimming in the Nile...um, that I will pass on.

We had a fellow passenger on our China tour who got very ill after dining at a restaurant. Come to find out, she had a gastrointestinal problem and left all her meds at home because she wasn't going to need them. If you have problems, then you need to be prepared. We did visit our doctor and got something in case we did get something. We will do the same thing for our Egypt tour next year. Can't wait!

Charlie

I know a lot of people are worried about what they eat in foreign countries but OMG I couldn't imagine getting back to NYC and not having something from a street vendor!! And if people really knew what goes in restaurants - even the best of them - I seriously doubt anyone would eat anywhere but home! Just because you don't "see" it......

Thanks Cruisemom. Lentils are an everday staple here in India and one of my favorites - and I love okra!! I am looking forward to trying all kinds of new things on this cruise!

Donna, in the end each person needs to do what makes sense for them. I would no longer buy food from a NYC street vendor nor would I do likewise in the Middle East. Getting food poisoning is not fun and even worse when you are away from home. Yes, you are correct you can get sick in restaurants soon but you are more likely to get sick from eating food from a street vendor or from a buffet then you are if it is served to you in a nice restaurant.

So for me I will not eat from a street vendor but for some that's what they enjoy doing.

No right or wrong. Just personal preference.

Keith

Vjmatty - I totally agree with you.

Cruisemom - do you have recipes for Koshari and Tarmeya? DH wants to try them (he loved your description of them)and I thought I'd ask you first before going on the web.

Charlie

Here's a link to a recipe for Koshari that's almost exactly like the one I've made. If you are inclined, you could skip the tomato sauce and simply top with a good, spicy salsa.

http://www.ivu.org/recipes/african/koshari.html

I'm afraid I haven't made Tarmeya at home because I don't like to deep fry!

Forget being "safe". What are the absoultely wonderful not-to-be-missed street or local foods in Egypt, Turkey, & Israel?? :D

UMMMMMM -- "Pharoah's-Revenge-on-a-stick"??

In June of 07 we toured Israel for a week and then Egypt for two weeks;

one week on a Nile River boat.

Suggest passing up the Street Vendors; Merced Mike is correct.

We ate at restraunts that were recommended by our Guides.

Pharoah's Revenge is rather nasty:eek:

I would agree that "Anywhere's Revenge" is to be avoided if possible, but sensible eating can be wonderful. When we were in India - down in Goa, we ate in the local shacks at night along the beach. The fish was freshly caught, served with french fries, again home-cooked with pease and local veg or salad. We never got sick once. I have caught food poisoning from a well-known restaurant many times, so eat what you know is freshly caught and freshly cooked. That will stop most problems. You can never prevent catching something from a person who has not washed their hands.

I would agree that "Anywhere's Revenge" is to be avoided if possible, but sensible eating can be wonderful. When we were in India - down in Goa, we ate in the local shacks at night along the beach. The fish was freshly caught, served with french fries, again home-cooked with pease and local veg or salad. We never got sick once. I have caught food poisoning from a well-known restaurant many times, so eat what you know is freshly caught and freshly cooked. That will stop most problems. You can never prevent catching something from a person who has not washed their hands.

Folks, what I can tell you that buying food from a street vendor is not a smart thing to do from a health perspective. And while many have not yet gotten sick from it, the odds are high that it will happen. A good medical professional would always advise eating food that is just sitting outside because of concerns about food poisonng from food sitting out for so long. Likewise, many would say to stay away from buffets, even in restaurants. But clearly, you are taking a high risk eating from a street vendor. Yes, one can get sick eating food at home or in a nice restaurant. But, for me, I would not take the risk of eating food that has been sitting out there for who knows how long, particularly in a place that I am not familiar with. Oh when I was many years younger maybe I would do that, but overtime one learns. And, I am very well traveled having traveled extensively for business and for pleasure.

Keith

Cynthia - that recipe for Koshari was incredible. I don't know if it's supposed to taste like it did, but it was great! Thanks for much for sharing it with me.

Jean - I think you're right. Eat sensibly and exercise common sense. We had folks on our China tour that brought their own food with them for the pre cruise stay because they were terrified of catching something in a five star hotel. Not so worried there, but did see questionable places along the roads. Heck, I exercise similar caution here at home with the taco trucks.

Charlie

Cynthia - that recipe for Koshari was incredible. I don't know if it's supposed to taste like it did, but it was great! Thanks for much for sharing it with me.

Charlie

It IS tasty, isn't it? Makes me feel like whipping some up tonight to get in the mood for my upcoming trip!

Glad you liked it.

Cynthia -

Even better than that - I took some in to our theater company and they were equally pleased with it. Of course, actors do have the reputation of eating anything free, but there was nothing left when they finished and the talked about it all night.

Obviously, I need to make more now...a happy actor is much easier to manage than a grumpy one!

Charlie

Foods not to be missed,

In Israel, a real Falafel pita, with all the goodies in it (numberous salads and tehina dressing).

If you are on the beach, try some grilled fish with orgeano spicing.

Also and Israeli breakfast is light and wonderful.

In Turkey and Egypt-have a good turkish coffee with cardoman, and deserts such as Knafee and Katief. If you dont drink coffee, have some mint tea. Yummm

Daphna

Is it like Indian mint tea - very hot and very sweet? The only way to found it get it sweet enough was to use a simple syrup and pour it boiling over the mint leaves to infuse it, then add it to store bought mint tea for an additional boost.

We've had Falafel pitas and know that they must taste better in Israel, although there is a place on Geary in SF that does a really good job with them. I think it's called Balabah's.

This thread always makes me hungry...

Charlie

Archived