Waterproofing your valuables

kywildcatfanone

Hi folks,

Anyone have any advice on how they keep their valuables (money, watch, cruise card, etc) dry while enjoying a beach visit or water excursion? My wife and I will be on the Grand in March, and it's the first cruise we won't have elderly family members with us, and we want to go on a snorkeling trip, and perhaps a zip line if available.

I'm probably not comfortable leaving any of my valuables out of my sight, so I'm looking for tips on how you keep valuables dry and safe while enjoying the activites at the ports. I've looked at some local stores and haven't found anything like a waterproof fanny pack, but I assume they are out there. Any advice/tips? Also, any advice on a waterproof camera for snorkeling?

Thanks,

Mike

The watch I cant help with, but what we do for the cruise cards, credit cards and some cash...I bought a small plastic waterproof card holder that is on a string and I hang it on my neck. It fits 2 cruise cards, 1 credit card and a small amount of cash. You can buy bigger ones, but I like the small thin kind. I got it at the dive shop in the city where I live. I dont know the formal name for it, but it works fantastic. Ive been doing it for several years and I go in the water with it, etc. Some dont like it around their neck so they safety pin it to the inside of mens swim trunks. I prefer to have it around my neck so I know where it is at all times.

Also, my husband has several bathing suites with a built in waterproof pouch in the pocket of the suit. But this isnt 100% waterproof. I dont recall anything ever getting wet though.

Good luck!

EDIT: sorry I missed the camera question originally...I just bought an Olympus S790 digital underwater camera. Its real thin and takes great pictures above water, havent tried it under water yet. This one goes 10 feet. There is another model, more expensive that goes 33 feet. I bought it at Best Buy for $279, but I think its around $250 now.

You'll find waterproof packs at Magellan's:

http://www.magellans.com/store/Safety___Security___Security_Wallets___Money_BeltsSV530?Args=&refchan=Search

You can also get a waterproof case either at Wal-Mart or even onboard the ship that's big enough for money and credit cards but not big enough for a camera. I would also bring several ZipLoc bags as a first line of protection before putting my valuables into a "waterproof" bag or case. All it takes is one leak. :(

I have been using a "keep it safe" plastic box that I purchased at my local dive shop. The first one lasted 10 years until the plastic snap lock broke off. For added waterproof protection, I put my credit card, money, etc in a snack-size zip lock bag and then fold the bag/contents into my plastic box.

As for a waterproof camera, I have recently purchased an Olympus Stylus 790SW. I have tested the camera in a bucket of water for several minutes and it passed first waterproof test. The next test will be when I take it on the Crown Princess in one week (snorkeling excursions).

Last year shortly after our cruise we purchased a Pentax Optio W30. Supposedly good to 10ft underwater for up to 2 hours.

I tried it in my brother's swimming pool and it worked well. Can't wait to try it in March in the ocean. After wiping the camera down with a towel, dunked it in a glass of water ( to clean the chlorine off ) for about 10 minutes (per instructions).

It took pictures after the dunking so it should work well. Of course this wouldn't work if you wanted to scuba. But for snorkeling it will work great. I also like not having to put a camera up next to my goggles and try to focus through a view finder.

If I remember, though it may be too late for you, I'll post my pictures from the snorkling that we do in March.

The watch I cant help with, but what we do for the cruise cards, credit cards and some cash...I bought a small plastic waterproof card holder that is on a string and I hang it on my neck. It fits 2 cruise cards, 1 credit card and a small amount of cash. You can buy bigger ones, but I like the small thin kind. I got it at the dive shop in the city where I live. I dont know the formal name for it, but it works fantastic. Ive been doing it for several years and I go in the water with it, etc. Some dont like it around their neck so they safety pin it to the inside of mens swim trunks. I prefer to have it around my neck so I know where it is at all times.

Also, my husband has several bathing suites with a built in waterproof pouch in the pocket of the suit. But this isnt 100% waterproof. I dont recall anything ever getting wet though.

Good luck!

EDIT: sorry I missed the camera question originally...I just bought an Olympus S790 digital underwater camera. Its real thin and takes great pictures above water, havent tried it under water yet. This one goes 10 feet. There is another model, more expensive that goes 33 feet. I bought it at Best Buy for $279, but I think its around $250 now.

Be careful with underwater camera's. If you get sand in them the mechanism get crunchy and dont work right. We got an underwater case for ours on Amazon. You would be surprised at how much sand we find in the seal when we clean it out. If I didn't have it I don't think I would bring it to the beach.

Hi,

Have you looked at the Witz range of products. Their 'See it Safe' wallet is ideal for storing your cruise card and a small amount of money. I believe they are waterproof to a depth of 100ft. You can see them here at Man of Rubber in the USA or here in the UK.

Man of Rubber also appear to have a range of waterproof camera cases.

micro1020.jpg

See this Pelican range of products.

Of course, if you really want to look good on the beach ... MOR also do Rubber Bowties!

Laura

We have used the disposable cameras for snorkeling and beach pictures but the quality isn't always great. The Aquapac was great...just pop your camera inside and shoot away. It is a little awkward using it but it's do-able.

The last cruise on the Sun Princess they were selling underwater 35mm cameras, multiple use, that were very affordable @ ~19 or $20. Maybe we will see this on the Dawn and give it a whirl. They had some pictures there taken with the camera and they looked pretty good.

Anyone else out there try one of these?

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for the wonderful responses and links. I will look over the web sites and items you sent me, and probably check at my local Dicks Sporting Goods and see what they have, and make my selections. Thanks so much for all the help! You guys are great!

Mike

Archived