Formal Night Poll

Sky Sweet

What do you usually wear on formal night?  

371 members have voted

1. 1. What do you usually wear on formal night?

• Tuxedo
    • Dark Suit
    • Light Suit
    • Evening Gown
    • Black Cocktail Dress
    • Cocktail Dress that is not black
    • Crepe Pants with a dressy top
    • Silk pants with a dressy top
    • Causal clothing in an alternate dining venue
    • Other - explain below

On our HAL cruise last November I finally discarded my old and very tight fitting tux for a new Black Italian 3 button suit. On one of the formal nights I wore my tux shirt with my old tux vest and everyone in our traveling party thought that I had brought both a tux and a black suit on the cruise. I got the idea for the tux shirt, from the Men’s Warehouse were I bought the new suit. The salesman told me that today there is so very little difference between a good black suit and a Tux that with the tux shirt my black suit would look like a tux and he was correct.:cool:

Do you find it easier to find your clothing for formal nights at boutiques or department stores?

There was a time when I bought almost all of my formal clothes at boutiques, because they had a much better selection, but in recent years most of the ones that I loved in our area have closed.

My experience is that when you want something really special, you just have to look everywhere. You have to be lucky because it is like looking for a needle in a haystack! For a couple of years (no joke) I wanted something new. I was wearing the same thing to every event and needed a change. Finally, I found what I liked in NYC at an expensive boutique. I am not sorry that I spent the $$$ because it is what I like to wear. However, it is too good to take on a trip. For that I stick to good old Chico's. Good enough for Celebrity! Seriously, a friend just returned from a flight where everything inside her suitcase was wet and some colours ran. If that happened to "good" clothes, I would not be a happy camper. Better to avoid such a situation.

Happy shopping!

Do you find it easier to find your clothing for formal nights at boutiques or department stores?

There was a time when I bought almost all of my formal clothes at boutiques, because they had a much better selection, but in recent years most of the ones that I loved in our area have closed.

Being a petite Woman-size, it is very difficult to find a dress in my size that doesn't require major alterations. That is why I often end up w/separates which still need alteration but in a smaller way. I find things in specialty catalogs to suit me the best. I have a few favorites that have good quality and I know the fit will suit me.

Locally here in the Chicago suburban area, I find Coldwater Creek to often have pieces that I can mix and match. You'd think in a major metro area there would be more choice, but that is not always the case. If you live/work in the 'burbs, you really don't want to be driving all over the city looking for something you may or may not find. My time is precious too.

For my first cruise (to Alaska, on HAL) in '99, I fretted and spent many days over several weeks shopping for an appropriate gown for the formal nights. I finally found just the right one - classic, long, black, with tasteful trim and nice lines. (It also takes up less space than a pair of shoes and is impossible to wrinkle. :) )

Well, to my surprise, my DH and I were the only ones at our table for 8 who actually had brought formal clothes. We were in our tux and gown. The young honeymooning couple from Australia didn't have either a suit of any type or anything approaching a "dressy" dress. The middle aged couple from Texas were almost as casually dressed. We never even met the other 2 folks at our table, as they never showed up in the dining room. And yet, we had a wonderful time chatting together every night. We discussed the "clothes thing" and all agreed it didn't matter to us at all.

Frankly, I felt that I had been somewhat duped into thinking that I "must" wear formal wear. I had wasted a lot of time and money on something that turned out to be absolutely unnecessary. It also felt a little phony somehow, even though we had followed the dress code to the letter of the law.

So, that was not a good introduction to my first formal venue since my disappointing high school prom in '63.

When Thoreau said, "...beware of all enterprises that require new clothes..." he was certainly on to something, at least in my experience. That being said, none of my husband's three tuxes are new (he already had them when I met him 16 years ago), and I continue to wear my trusty long, black gown. I also have a long black skirt and a very dressy, "New Years Eve" sort of top that I alternate with the gown. The top is even older than the gown, but it's classic and still like new, as I only wear it for formal nights on cruises.

Whenever we have a cruise coming up that requires formal wear, I still go out shopping to look for another gown and another dressy top, but so far, in many, many days of looking and trying gowns and tops on, I haven't yet found anything that both fits me right and that I want to add to my wardrobe.

We always do black tie; but, we have been doing so all of our lives. Therefore, it is not a major endeavor.

Exactly!!! :)

In many ways, for men, it's easier...just pack the tux, and it takes care of three or four nights!

And I never feel funny if I'm dressed appropriately, and others aren't. :rolleyes:

Andrew

I don't feel this is off topic and I'd like to take advantage of having a lot of you "gathered here together", without starting a new thread and calling too much attention to myself, so...

I love my wedding gown. I love it to pieces. I look great in it. It's a Jessica McClintock: floor length, a light cream color, off the shoulder, with a full skirt (but no hoops) and a pearled and beaded bodice. It's gorgeous and I feel gorgeous in it.

I've threatened to take it to wear on formal nights on our last Celebrity cruise, and again on our upcoming one next month, but my DH, who usually has a better fashion sense than I do, thinks that it would both not be correct to wear, and also somehow a violation of the sacredness of the object. (Of course, I wouldn't wear the veil.)

I want to know what the formal wear die-hards think about this. Would it be appropriate attire, or would I be "over the top"? I just hate to have it hanging in my closet, never to be worn again. I feel like a princess in it, and, it is very comfortable. (It has a "Gone With the Wind" feel to it.)

Thanks. I'm serious and would appreciate honest feedback.

Susan

What a delightfully refreshing thing to answer!:D

O.k., here's my take. If the gown is relatively simple, and would look like a formal gown, except for the color, then go ahead, but with two caveats:

One: assume you're not going to give it to someone in your family to wear someday....ever. "Here, I want you to have this to wear on your special day, and, by the way, here's a picture of me in it in the conga line on deck of our cruise a few years after the wedding....":eek:

Two: have it professionally dyed another color than white or off-white. Soft blue, pale green, yellow, black, go-to-heck-red, whatever you like!

BUT....I think it's sweet that you love the dress so much that you want to wear it again, and equally sweet that your husband holds it up as a treasure to be preserved. Work that issue out first...hey, throw in the 'Sustainability of the environment" card, and see if he agrees...getting one wear out of a gown that's so expensive seems wasteful....on the other hand, if you're just trying to recreate your "special day" on a cruise ship, might be better to leave it at home, and create new memories with a nice guy who appreciates and treasures you and the marriage.

Andrew

I responded "other". My husband wears a black suit with very thin stripes (almost invisible) and either a black tie or platinum colored tie. I am a large woman and will wear a tea length dress with beads, or a cocktail dress beaded. If I lose any weight, I have a black pant's outfit with a very beaded top.

It's a Jessica McClintock: floor length, a light cream color, off the shoulder, with a full skirt (but no hoops) and a pearled and beaded bodice. It's gorgeous and I feel gorgeous in it.

It sounds sensational...I can see why you would want to wear it again. My first thought is that if it looks like a wedding dress, it might not be the best choice for formal night. But since it's cream colored as opposed to white, that may make a difference. A great place to get feedback is on the Cruise Discussion Forum (Cruise Fashions) ...lots of similar questions there and many people post photos of their dresses, which gives you an idea of what other people are buying or taking with them for formal wear.:)

At the time of writing, the tuxes and gowns are leading the pack in the poll.

But, except for Cunard, my experience on the cruises I've taken are that they are very much in the minority.

Perhaps only the folk who attend formal nights are voting...

A poll on whether folk eat their evening meal in the dining room / the lido cafe / the cabin / etc. might be good idea. Could those who can, set this up?

I'm a tux guy. I work in theater and need one for openings and etc. so I own one, and most important, it takes care of two nights worth of clothes. For the other nights however, I am Hawaiian Shirts and dockers.

John

Office of Kumberbands

The Zamgwar Institute

At the time of writing, the tuxes and gowns are leading the pack in the poll.

But, except for Cunard, my experience on the cruises I've taken are that they are very much in the minority.

Perhaps only the folk who attend formal nights are voting...

A poll on whether folk eat their evening meal in the dining room / the lido cafe / the cabin / etc. might be good idea. Could those who can, set this up?

Hi Canuker :)

One of the poll options is "casual clothing in an alternate dining venue". That option is for people who prefer not to observe formal night and either eat dinner that night in their cabin or utilize the ship's casual dining option instead.

Thanks for responding to my question about wearing my bridal gown for formal nights.

Blazerboy - I loved your idea of having it dyed! I'd actually considered it before, but was thinking of peach. However, I think your suggestion of "go-to-heck red" would be stunning! It would be too much for DH, unfortunately, But I'm having to fan myself thinking of it. Talk about having a Scarlett O'Hara moment! :D It's probably better to leave this one permanently in the "realm of possibilities".

Susan-M - Thanks for suggesting the Cruise Fashions discussion forum. I had found it at one time, but had forgotten about it. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Cruise Critic is wonderful - because of the fantastic posters!

Just a reminder (to myself as well): Whatever you pack for your cruise, don't forget the sense of humor!

Susan

my DH bought a tux this year after 6 cruises, and he can't wait to wear it as for me I love to dress up and so I have at least one dress for every cruise we have been on , my most recent was a gorgeous red gown bought in Curacao for $100, would have cost twice that in U.S. always wanted a red gown and actually my DH was the one who spotted it. Plus everyone looks so beautiful when dressed up they seem to even carry themselves differently than when dressed in shorts and tank tops.

Ladies,

Suggestion: talk your mister into buying a rented tux. I had rented tuxes for years until one time, when I returned my tux, I asked how much would it cost to pruchase the one I had rented. They charged me $100 for a Perry Ellis tux! Three years later, it still fits like a glove (thank God), and I have more than paid for it since buying it.

I know that JCP sells tuxes, but I wanted to get fancy and get a designer one. I'm not name dropping, I'm just making a suggestion. That way, ladies, it's one less thing for him to worry about when you say, "hey, isn't it time to book another cruise?"

:)

61% of the men who responded chose the most formal option - Tuxedo

43% of the women who responded chose the most formal option - Evening Gown

And the reality is that maybe 25% of the men cruise passengers will wear a tux and 15-20% will try to come to formal dinner in something less than a sport coat.:eek:

And the reality is that maybe 25% of the men cruise passengers will wear a tux on a cruise and 15-20% will try to come to formal dinner in something less than a sport coat.:eek:

Like to see a poll of ALL cruiser, not just the few who post to the boards.

Think the numbers as well as the attitude would be a lot different.

61% of the men who responded chose the most formal option - Tuxedo

43% of the women who responded chose the most formal option - Evening Gown

Sky, I hate to burst your bubble, but I just looked at the poll numbers this morning and what you are quoting is way way off, 28% say they will wear a tux and 21% for the formal gown.:confused:

I've been considering posting here for quite a bit. However, a quick review of other posts on clothing indicates that this is really a hot flash issue for some people, and I guess many of us in the minority have no desire to get flamed for our opinions.

I don't pay much attention to what folks are wearing. I am happy to sit at dinner next to someone who

1) bathed

2) converses well

3) is not loaded with perfume

4) listens well

5) has good table manners

6) doesn't tell off-color jokes

7) doesn't complain about everything and anything

8) laughs at my jokes!;)

Archived