Has Celebrity rolled out new menus yet?

amagar

Hopefully it will be early March. Will all ships have the new menu in March?. We are on the Infinity Mar 30 and looking forward to something different although current choices are good they tend to get stale after several years.

I'm hoping it doesn't change much from these menus that were recently posted by someone who sailed Millie in Dec.

http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f8...0critic/Menus/

Although they are slightly different from those I had on Century last spring (which were excellent BTW) they look divine. If it's not broken don't fix it, Celeb. The food I had last spring is the reason I booked my second Celebrity cruise (as opposed to another line) on Millie this March. I hope they live up to it, changed menus or not, this March 16th when I sail.

Cheers,

Tammy

I'm hoping it doesn't change much from these menus that were recently posted by someone who sailed Millie in Dec.

http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f8...0critic/Menus/

Although they are slightly different from those I had on Century last spring (which were excellent BTW) they look divine. If it's not broken don't fix it, Celeb. The food I had last spring is the reason I booked my second Celebrity cruise (as opposed to another line) on Millie this March. I hope they live up to it, changed menus or not, this March 16th when I sail.

Cheers,

Tammy

I'd predict the new menus in general will be drastically different...more contemporary--"fusion" is a word I think you'll hear a lot. I bet they'll have some of the die hard cruisers' favorites, but with a twist. Pure speculation on my part, but knowing that the new chef is a consultant to Vegas restaurants, I think it's educated speculation.

New is always good. I just wish they would put a little spice into some of their selections (ethnic or otherwise). I realize many people cannot handle spice or heat but a large part of the population can and would prefer something more exciting than nursing home spiceness. At least have the option. Celebrity would be the perfect candidate to do this as their food has always been top notch. Maybe with a new consultant from Las Vegas we will see some changes in this arena. What say you?

I'm with Woody!

More spice, more ethnic, more POP! I hope they pay special attention to the desserts because, while they usually look pretty, I rarely find one I'm gaga over (exception being cream brulee). And they dare have nights without a chocolate offering. I know many of my fellow cruisers think that's a sin.

On so many of these posts -- casual dining, anytime dining, ports of call -- , I think generational wars are at play. Food is a battle royale. My parents (70s) love the food in the dining room. We (40) find it bland, boring and uninspired.

I pity the person who must redesign to please all.

Wish list: Sea bass with a thai coconut sauce

Tuna with wasabi whipped cream

White fish with mango chutney

Veal meatloat

Chocolate truffles

Premium cookies to accompany after-dinner coffee -- good coffee

Just back off the New Years cruise on Connie. They rolled out the new menu mid cruise. Frankly, I was unimpressed. Lots more fancy names to dishes, but still a lack of variety, less than stellar presentation, and uninspired/overcooked vegetables and pasta offerings.

Amagar, you will be disappointed. All fish dishes served without sauce, ungarnished. Mainly flounder and cod. Macaroni and cheese ( I kid you not) offered as an entree choice on formal night.

Best dishes were a turkey tettrazini (basically a thin breaded cutlet, but good) and veal and pork selections.

Desserts were good, though -- but there was no change there.

My analysis of the menu change as I saw it is window dressing without substance or style. Sorry to say. (And I am not usually a menu snob -- just was looking for more from Celebrity, and certainly from the vaunted new exec chef......)

I'm with Woody!

More spice, more ethnic, more POP! I hope they pay special attention to the desserts because, while they usually look pretty, I rarely find one I'm gaga over (exception being cream brulee). And they dare have nights without a chocolate offering. I know many of my fellow cruisers think that's a sin.

On so many of these posts -- casual dining, anytime dining, ports of call -- , I think generational wars are at play. Food is a battle royale. My parents (70s) love the food in the dining room. We (40) find it bland, boring and uninspired.

I pity the person who must redesign to please all.

Wish list: Sea bass with a thai coconut sauce

Tuna with wasabi whipped cream

White fish with mango chutney

Veal meatloat

Chocolate truffles

Premium cookies to accompany after-dinner coffee -- good coffee

I like your menu suggestions:). DH and I are both fans of fusion and Asian inspired food, far more than Continental and French influenced cuisine. My mom/ aunts/uncles can't stand it so your generational comment might be pretty accurate.

If we wanted Vegas we'd go there. The Euro- continental menus of Michelle Roux were excellent--hope many of these tems remain with maybe some new twists for the more adventurous!

Hi Hcat !

I'm with you. If I wanted foo-foo Vegas cuisine, I can fly to Vegas and get it there. That's not what I want on Celebrity. The last poster said some new menu items were rolled out, yet others have said it wont happen until March. My guess ? they might be testing the waters on a few new menu items, to see what the response is.

For those who say new is better ? For the most part, I have been quite happy with Celebrity's Dinner Menus from Chef Roux. While I remain hopeful the new menus from Ms. Blau will keep the Celebrity faithful happy, I am concerned, as I sense a big change is coming, and we may not like it.... so be very careful what you wish for.

All I can say, is let's hope for the best, and trust that Celebrity will make some wise decisions here. If not, there will be a big run for the exits from their most loyal passengers. I truly hope this does not happen. Stay tuned !

How do you categorize cuisine or a culinary style as "Las Vegas"? Vegas probably has a more eclectic and wide-ranging variety of food than any city in the world!

And there is nothing wrong with macaroni and cheese being served on an upscale menu. Many high-end restaurants and master chefs feature a gourmet update on this classic on their menus. What's better than Mac and cheese? Maybe lobster Mac and cheese? Mac and cheese with shaved truffles?

First of all, Host Andy, I was just on the Connie so it doesn't matter what "they" say is gonna happen or when, I am telling my fellow CC'ers what DID happen. On Jan. 1, 2008 on OUR ship, a completely new menu was rolled out for dinners, new typeface, different descriptions, etc. And our waiter told us it was a "test" of the new menu items. It persisted until we left the ship on Jan. 7. So that's one thing.

Second, I will reiterate that while the names and descriptions of the dishes changed, and a few things were added (sorry other posters, I cannot post them as I did not abscond with the menus!) the presentation remained the same (unimpressive by former Celebrity standards and much below recent Princess standards), the vegetables and pasta were consistently overcooked, and the dishes bland and unsauced in general.

Now, some things were good. The veal chops, pork medallions, and steaks were generally good because they do not require anything but grilling or broiling and as long as they are not overcooked (they weren't) they are/were fine. Lamb was offered twice: once as a lamb shank (well received) and once as small bone-in cutlets -- also good. Three of our non-meat eating tablemates had to send their fish dishes back or just not eat them because they were either undercooked, too "fishy tasting" (as in not fresh) or just too too bland to eat.

Holly, escargots were served once I believe on the 11 day cruise and were pronounced excellent by all who had them. At another dinner one of my tablemates requested (and received) escargots again altho they were not on the menu. A plus for sure. Avoid the lobster ravioli (a new addition I do remember as an appetizer.) Soups were not rounded applauded either -- altho a cold soup is offered every night as a choice. I remember the vichysoisse being panned by fellow dinners -- didn't have it.

I forget who mentioned Indian food (certainly not an expectation at dinner!) but there was an Indian buffet station at lunch one day that seemed very good also. BTW, the sushi, offered every day in the buffet from 5PM-8:30 PM was excellent -- very fresh, nicely done. etc. There is also a pasta made to order station in the buffet and wonderful salads.

Hope this helps some.

Andy, I, too, liked the Michel Roux menus when they were well prepared and nicely plated. This, sadly, was not my experience on the Constellation last week. My only point here was that the Genevieve Blau changes, as we experienced them on the initial "test" or "rollout" were not really an improvement -- just new names and descriptions for the same old same old.

Trust me, it was NOT Las Vegas frou frou, Nor was it traditional Celebrity fare.

BTW, another place I would lower your expectations is in the wine service. Despite the fact that multiple bottles of wine were ordered every night by our table of 10, the sommeliers rarely showed up until at least the second course, were somewhat boorish and condescending to all, and served two bad bottles during the course of the 11 nite voyage.

My counsel would be to expect little, and then enjoy the high spots. They are there in the dining room -- just not consistently or "as they used to be." Those days are gone, I am afraid, and I don't see Ms. Blau singlehandedly bringing them back.

DREW,

Mac and cheese,give me a break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL! Just a few weeks ago, I dined in New York at Les Halles, a semi-fancy French restaurant owned by celebrity chef/restauranteur Anthony Bourdain. Here is a url for their website. As you will see, their menu featured Mac & Cheese. It was pretty tasty, too!

http://www.leshalles.net/

This board is moderated and posts that violate Community Guidelines are removed. If you are unfamiliar with our Guidelines, please take the time to review them here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/community/guide.cfm

Further, if you ever have any question at all about the Guidelines and their implementation, please feel free to communicate with your Board Hosts. Contact information for the Host(s) for each Board appears at the base of the home page of the board.

In addition, you are free to contact our Community Manager at Community@CruiseCritic.com.

Thanks so much!

KaraokeMusic ~ welcome to Cruise Critic. As I mentioned in my last post, please review the the Cruise Critic guidelines. We do not discuss removal or violations on the boards at any time.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Archived