Please help me make a decision

nevis92

I can't decide between three cruises leaving Ft. Lauderdale on March 16, 2008. We are in our early 40's and our kids are 10 and 12. Price is pretty comparable on all three and have been to most of the islands on all three itineraries so that isn't a factor. I will post on all three boards and I need honest opinions. You can see who we've sailed with to give you an idea of what we are used to.

The three cruises are:

1. Princess-Grand Princess

2. Holland America-Westerdam

3. Celebrity-Millenium

I booked the flights so we have to pick from one of the three. I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Cabins per catagory dollar... size and features (incl. bathroom):

1) Westerdam;

2) Millie;

3) Grand.

Princess cabin bathrooms require a sense of humor! :-)

Dining Service:

1) X

2) Princesss

3) HAL

But Princess has Personal Choice for those that like flexibility (that can be important to some);

Food, I'd probably rank the same as dining service but on any given ship or chef rotation it could be different.

Pools:

1) Princess

2) X

3) HAL

If your kids are big on day and night aquatics Princess wins big time; X spa pool is uniquely nice - but not at 9 PM! MUTS is also a unique feature to pool deck tubers...

I can't decide between three cruises leaving Ft. Lauderdale on March 16, 2008. We are in our early 40's and our kids are 10 and 12. Price is pretty comparable on all three and have been to most of the islands on all three itineraries so that isn't a factor. I will post on all three boards and I need honest opinions. You can see who we've sailed with to give you an idea of what we are used to.

The three cruises are:

3. Celebrity-Millenium

I booked the flights so we have to pick from one of the three. I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks!

even though I am not a big Celebrity fan I think of those choices I would go with the Millenium. I certainly wouldn't do HAL. Actually the week you are cruising any line, even HAL will be filled with kids. I just think I would stick with number 1 or 3. BTW, what about the itineraries? Are they similar and the price? Now that I have siad Celebrity, I am not sure I would choose them over Princess. Of the two I would advise clients to do with the one that had the best price and intinerary. Nita

I would go with the Princess. They have the best kids program of the three and with anytime dining, can be flexible around your kids activities. Holland America has nicer cabins and better service, but is quite geriatric. Celebrity would be OK as well (although if there were a Royal Caribbean choice, I would take that first).

The three cruises are:

3. Celebrity-Millenium

Thanks!

the Grand is out because it leaves on the 15th. Holland, no way. That leaves the Millenium. You could also get on the Freedom of the Seas out of Miami. Cost is more, but I guarantee you and your kids will not want to leave at the end of the week.

I'd go with HAL. Our sons enjoyed their cruise on the Westerdam's sister ship, the Oosterdam. The Westerdam is the newest ship of the 3 you mention. It has a video arcade, a basketball court, movies in the theatre with fresh-popped pop corn, is very, very family oriented and the cabins are very nice.

The Grand would be our second choice. It has the movies-under-the-stars, a video arcade (although not at all what it used to be!), very narrow but comfortable cabins, generally good, friendly waiters (vs. HAL's reserved, quiet ones) and a good kids program.

I also would choose HAL first. I LOVED the Oosterdam and I am in my 30's. The Westerdam is implementing "As you wish dining" in February of 2008. From what I have read, this is similar to Princess's Anytime dining. The Vista class ships are designed for families. From your profile - it looks like you have been on the Westerdam.

Of the Princess fleet, the Grand is my least favorite ship (though I would choose this over the Millie). As far as Celebrity, I sailed the Millie when I was 30 and I was so bored on that ship. I wouldn't dream of taking kids on that ship.

I had the Grand on my list in error as it leaves on the 15th and not the 16th. I meant to list Caribbean Princess instead. I realize it is the same ship but newer with an additional deck of cabins.

I appreciate all of your opinions. We've never cruised with Princess so will give it a lot of consideration.

We loved every aspect of our previous cruise on Westerdam except for the passengers who were RUDE and treated the crew horribly.

Our cruise on Celebrity's Galaxy last Spring had the best kid's program we've experienced so that is weighing heavily on our decision.

I had the Grand on my list in error as it leaves on the 15th and not the 16th. I meant to list Caribbean Princess instead. I realize it is the same ship but newer with an additional deck of cabins.

That does change things. I find the Grand "very dark" but the ships after it don't seem dark at all to me. Since you haven't tried Princess - give it a try.

I have avoided the large ships that attract lots of kids especially around Spring Break. I have found that traveling on ships not usually known for their kid-friendly aspects, there are fewer children on board but just enough so that my kids get a lot of attention from the counselors and make some nice friends. That has been my reluctance with Princess and their large ships and is the one thing keeping me from deciding.

My kids are very respectful and well behaved. This sounds selfish of me but I don't enjoy traveling on a ship overrun with kids.

We've sailed both the Galaxy and the Caribbean Princess. I LOVED the Galaxy and it had been my favorite ship, until we sailed the Caribbean Princess. I would choose the Princess :p

I appreciate all of your opinions. We've never cruised with Princess so will give it a lot of consideration.

We loved every aspect of our previous cruise on Westerdam except for the passengers who were RUDE and treated the crew horribly.

Our cruise on Celebrity's Galaxy last Spring had the best kid's program we've experienced so that is weighing heavily on our decision.

Hello,

You have chosen three excellent cruise lines and you and your children will have a great time whichever you choose...this means stop worrying so much about your choice.

I would, however, go with Princess. You will probably find more kids on Princess but not overly so, and more activities for families.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

I appreciate all your opinions. I know there is no wrong decision here and I certainly enjoying the feedback as we make the decision. Since we've never sailed with Princess, and since everyone agrees they are best for families, I will see what kind of cabin set up I can get and "take the plunge".

THanks again.

I'd go with Princess if I had kids--but would choose HAL if I were really going with my DH that week since we don't have kids.

We were on the Emerald Princess for Christmas. I never thought I'd want to sail on a ship that large, but it was a good cruise. Even with the large number of kids, we never saw any really out of control. We avoided the pools where the kids were allowed. We had late traditional dining. The young boys at the table near us were fairly well behaved.

I have two cabins on hold for 48 hours on Caribbean Princess. We booked a corner, aft balcony on Baja deck with an inside cabin across the hall for the kids.

We had an aft balcony cabin on the Westerdam two years ago and loved it. It was huge and had plenty of sunshine. The kids were across the hall and the set up worked well for us. We've only stayed in a suite once with the children on MSC Opera and I find that for the money, two adjoining or opposite cabins give us much more bang for the buck. Mainly, the extra bathroom!

Now I'm going to give both HAL and Celebrity one last long look and thought before making my payment to Princess.

My ideal cruise would be a combination of the three. HAL Westerdam for it's itinerary, Caribbean Princess for it's ship and kid's program, and Celebrity Millenium for it's food and service.

Now why aren't any one of the mass market lines able to accomplish all three at once?

I have two cabins on hold for 48 hours on Caribbean Princess. We booked a corner, aft balcony on Baja deck with an inside cabin across the hall for the kids.

We had an aft balcony cabin on the Westerdam two years ago and loved it. It was huge and had plenty of sunshine. The kids were across the hall and the set up worked well for us. We've only stayed in a suite once with the children on MSC Opera and I find that for the money, two adjoining or opposite cabins give us much more bang for the buck. Mainly, the extra bathroom!

Now I'm going to give both HAL and Celebrity one last long look and thought before making my payment to Princess.

My ideal cruise would be a combination of the three. HAL Westerdam for it's itinerary, Caribbean Princess for it's ship and kid's program, and Celebrity Millenium for it's food and service.

Now why aren't any one of the mass market lines able to accomplish all three at once?

Don't think you will be upset with your choice if you go with Caribbean Princess. DH & I have never sailed HAL but have been on both Caribbean Princess and X Millie.

I think your kids at their age will find more things suitable to their enjoyment on the Princess cruise than on the Millie. Millie is a nice ship with great food and service, but don't think it is geared to the age of your kids as much as the Caribbean Princess.

Good luck with your booking,.

Dianne

Just finished with reservations. No turning back now as they have my money! We are in two cabins, an aft balcony with adjacent inside cabin. Since I made the reservation yesterday, Princess lowered their fares considerably and I was able to get that rate today when I finalized the booking. See, sometimes it pays to be indecisive! By delaying it a few days, I saved a bundle!

Looking forward to my first Princess experience!

Just finished with reservations. No turning back now as they have my money! We are in two cabins, an aft balcony with adjacent inside cabin. Since I made the reservation yesterday, Princess lowered their fares considerably and I was able to get that rate today when I finalized the booking. See, sometimes it pays to be indecisive! By delaying it a few days, I saved a bundle!

Congratulations! Happy to see things have worked out for you so well.

Dianne

Congratulations! Happy to see things have worked out for you so well.

Dianne

I think you made a very wise choice. Have a great vacation.

Nita

Archived