Gordan or Lawerence please advice

scottie86

How many people were in your group? Did he email you just prior to your departing for your cruise to confirm again?

Thanks for posting this experience - we are taking his tour when we leave on the Emerald on Dec 10th! I don't know how many others have booked from this particular sailing. I'm travelling just myself along with my teenager so I don't want any surprises. Thanks again for posting.

We were around 8 people in the group. They was 2 women that did the tour for the second time with Lawrence. In fact they didn't visit anything sometimes and they stayed in the bus in a couple of occasion. Strange but they were happy and always smiley.

If you take the tour, remember that you can stay at the beach at the end of your journey. It's an interresting way to finish the day. Lawrence charge just $10 more to bring you back to the ship at the end of day. Taxi charge $8 but remmeber that you need 2 taxis (one to go there and one to get you back to the ship)

Send him an e-mail to choose the beach that you want. Me I like Jolly beach but there is several other good one. You can ask Lawrence to help you choose depending of your need.

And by the way you won't get any bad surprise. In fact I think you will get a good surprise. Don't forget to taste the pinaple. Sorry for the spelling!

;-)

I took my reservation 2 weeks in advance and we didn't confirm anything after. Lawrence was there on time with an easy to identify sign with my name on it. Couln't be easier. You have to meet him where he'll ask you. After the huge amount of aggressive taxi driver. You'll see him calmly waiting for you...

Have fun!

I am with you. I have booked Gordon and I am hoping my children will have a much better time than we did. That was so stressful. WE hired a private tour, so my children can do and see anything and everything they want. Guess they are spoiled. lol

I am with you. I have booked Gordon and I am hoping my children will have a much better time than we did. That was so stressful. WE hired a private tour, so my children can do and see anything and everything they want. Guess they are spoiled. lol
I guess they don't want to listen to us but we know we'd never recommend Lawrence. Hope your experience is better with Gordon it has to be.

We used Lawerence a few years ago and had a great time. We wanted something different and was looking into Gordon. Does Gordon answer his emails? I tried already twice in a few weeks period with different emails. Gordon may not be the right choice.

We are going with Gordon in February. I emailed him yesterday through his website using the first address listed and had a response within two hours.

Later,

Cheryl

GO GATORS

I also emailed Gordon. He responded very quick and again left his web page.

He seems very responsive and I think in March we will go with him.

I am anxious to hear some reviews when some of you guys get back!!

Please post soon...:o

• 2 weeks later...

We did a tour with Lawrence last week and had a great experience. He was exactly where he said that he'd be to greet us as we came from the ship. It was only us and one other couple, and we had a relaxing day driving around the island and seeing the popular points of interest. We ended the day with lunch (on your own) and a few hours at Long Bay Beach. Lawrence's van was very clean, and he had waters and local beers for us. We had a very nice time and would recommend his tour. We just got back so hopefully I'll have a full review of all of our tours after the holidays.

The previous poster is correct that there are just a ton of tour operators here when you come off the ship. Personally I like to book my tours in advance (or at least do the research and know what I want to do and what the fair price for that is so I can effectively negotiate), but everyone has a different comfort level, and I'm sure there are great tours to be had from those operators as well.

Give it a rest, already! You've posted the same thing multiple times. People want to know about Gordan and Lawrence, not what you think about walking up to a stranger at the pier.

Sheesh.

Maybe the trick with booking with Lawrence (or anyone) is to NOT get a group of 40+ people from your roll call!

All I want is an island tour with maybe a beach stop. Seems to me that either would work.

Maybe the operators consider 1 van to be a private tour as opposed to a ship-sponsored tour with multiple vans or a huge bus. I don't know. There are only two of us. I wouldn't expect to have our own van. As long as we get to see the sights, stop where we think we've arranged to stop, and don't miss the boat, I'll be fine.

I appreciate what people have posted. The problem with threads like this is that USUALLY people have only toured with 1 operator. Either they thought is was great or they thought it was terrible. Usually, if they liked it they'll return to that operator, so they really aren't able to compare the various operators.

And it does seem that the vast majority of tour operators get pretty good reviews. Occasionally, things just don't work out as expected and folks get all irate because everyone else had a great time; why not them!?!?!

Anyway, I'll keep reading. Don't sail until May, but I like to get things arranged ahead of time!

I hear ya!

We did a tour with Lawrence last week and had a great experience. He was exactly where he said that he'd be to greet us as we came from the ship. It was only us and one other couple, and we had a relaxing day driving around the island and seeing the popular points of interest. We ended the day with lunch (on your own) and a few hours at Long Bay Beach. Lawrence's van was very clean, and he had waters and local beers for us. We had a very nice time and would recommend his tour. We just got back so hopefully I'll have a full review of all of our tours after the holidays.

The previous poster is correct that there are just a ton of tour operators here when you come off the ship. Personally I like to book my tours in advance (or at least do the research and know what I want to do and what the fair price for that is so I can effectively negotiate), but everyone has a different comfort level, and I'm sure there are great tours to be had from those operators as well.

We too did Lawrence of Antigua's tour last week and it was exactly as Lawrence described. I emailed him in advance and received an email describing the tour and costs. I replied with a confirmation. A week prior to sailing he emailed again, this time just warning me about the 'other' lawrence and he said that HE would be the one wearing the multi-coloured vest as pictured on his web site. He was also holding a sign with my name on it. The tour was exactly as he described. I always bring my email confirmation and printout of the website so I remember what he looks like. He has a big bus that seats about 16 so there is lots of room.

On this particular booking there were 10 of us who had prebooked. There was another group of 6 who also had their emails and who were also cautious in the event that Lawrence tried to put tons of people on the bus. But it all worked out, this time.

He did get a few more people from a the ship on a recommendation from Cosol tours (they were on Cosol tours in St. Lucia and asked Cosol to recommend/arrange a tour for Antigua). When these additional people came on board the total was 14. I can see how it can grow out of control but this time it worked out. I am sure this can happen easily. We waited an additional 5 mins just in case some others came along.

Always bring hand sanitizer - there is a stop that has an amazing lookout that he takes you too, with only one bathroom that does not have any running water. UGH! Thank god for hand sanitizer. The bathrooms are under construction, and may be open by now. But at the time...

Lawrence will tell you that you have 15 mins to look around. Well it takes just about 15 mins to walk down to the bathroom, wait in line, use the bathroom and then get the hand sanitizer out. We just stayed as long as we wanted (all of us) which was way more than 15 mins.

ALWAYS REMEMBER:

Bring your email so you know the price is $35 without the beach and $40 with the beach plus the $5 park fee. He quoted those that arrived without a reservation at $45 and you end up paying the $5 park fee on route so you can easily forget that the price is broken up (and pay $45 at the end even if you don't do the beach part).

I had read mixed reviews on Lawrence of Antigua. I booked him for our group of 8 and we were extremely pleased. He was at the dock waiting, had a clean comfortable bus, beverages were provided, excellent commentary on the island and very accomodating. I would highly recommend him-Lawrence of Antigua-

Our group of 8 highly recommends Lawrence of Antigua. Very professional, knowledgeable, and accomodating. His bus is air conditioned and comfortable and the tour was comprehensive. We just returned Dec. 20th and are ready to go back. Enjoy

Hi

I have got a quote for a private tour from gordan and from lawerence

their is only $5 pp in the price.

so which one is the better as they are both highly reccomended, however i have read a couple of bad post on each person.

so i not sure which one to confirm with,

any help, tips much appreciated.

Our group of 8 highly recommends Lawrence of Antigua. Very professional, knowledgeable, and accomodating. His bus is air conditioned and comfortable and the tour was comprehensive. We just returned Dec. 20th and are ready to go back. Enjoy

My son and I also just returned on Dec 20th - we were on the Emerald Princess and did Lawrence's tour on Dec 17th - were you guys the group of 8 on the same bus????

Has anyone had to pay a Booking fee for Gordon Tour See E-mail Below:

There is a 50% or (USD$15.00 for each adult) booking fee. This

>> booking fee can be paid using a Credit Card. You can call me between

>> 7am - 8pm Eastern Time on my cell number 1 268 772 8738 and give me

>> your credit card details (1) Credit Card number (2) Authorization Code

>> (3) Credit Card expiration date.

>> After this fee has been paid, I will email your confirmation

>> booking details.

We just got back @ 2 weeks ago. Gorden was terrific, all as promised, and the booking fee was not in effect. Perhaps he has been too trusting in the past, and needs to verify the passengers during the high season, especially because of the high cost of gas! Go and have a great time!

We just got back @ 2 weeks ago. Gorden was terrific, all as promised, and the booking fee was not in effect. Perhaps he has been too trusting in the past, and needs to verify the passengers during the high season, especially because of the high cost of gas! Go and have a great time!

Thanks thats my plan.

We are on the MSC orchestra and I have been confused because of all the bad reviews.

I emailed Gordon, and told him I want to go with him, but need to wait a little while to book.

He emailed me back the next day and was very nice and reassuring with his response!

Great customer service-- and we will use him when we go!

Hey folks

I want to first of all thank all of the CC'rs who recommended Gordon for an island tour. Other posters recommended contacting him through his website, http://www.tourgudiegordon.com but if you'd rather call him his number is 1 (268) 772 8738.

I never do this, but because of the entire experience I feel compelled to let the community know.

If you're looking for a 2-sentence summary - Gordon gave us the best tour of our entire lives, bang-for-buck it was the most rewarding experience we've ever had. Antigua is spectacularly beautiful, a definite must-see (and now our favourite Caribbean island)

After researching the other islands we would be visiting on our December 21 Caribbean Princess cruise throughout the spring and early summer, I decided that Christmas on Antigua would be the perfect time/place to do a 'special' tour with my then girlfriend Jenn.

I contacted Gordon asking whether he would be interested in conducting a private tour (just Jenn and I) of the island on Christmas day. I apologized a number of times for picking Christmas, and even now I feel bad about it, but Gordon was incredibly enthusiastic about it and we made initial arrangements.

Gordon suggested some sites (remember, this is all happening 5+ months ahead of time) and gave me some excellent information about beaches and his tour. This was done by him in order to allow me plenty of time to 'customize' the tour to my liking. Very nice.

My plan for the special tour was to go to one of the beaches and propose. I know, I know... soooo cliche, but it had to be done. I never ended up telling him what was so special about it, but he's not one to pry either.

I arranged for a tour that would allow us to spend the morning on the beach (Jenn's dream for Christmas as we both have spent our lives north of the 'snow belt' in Ontario (Canada), and Gordon was happy to arrange champagne and orange juice in celebration. Being the anal retentive freak that I am, I even requested Prosecco (Italian sparkling wine) and Tropicana... both were waiting in his cooler when he met us - along with local beer, water, coke and fruit.

Anyways, to make a long story short, the morning at the beach (Darkwood) will be a highlight of both of our lives, after which he took us around the entire island (Shirley Heights to Devil's Bridge), taking us through small villages (all of which he was able to give us histories), through the rain forest and dropped us off - completely exhausted at 4:00. Just thinking about the black pineapple he procured for us makes me want to leave again.

He is an absolutly incredible tour guide - I've used (amongst others) Trip Advisor recommended guides in St. Lucia, St. Thomas, Tortola, Barbados, Puerto Rico, Bahamas, St. Kitts, St. Maartin, China, Japan, Hong Kong, Italy, Egypt, France, Cuba and many, many others, and I've truly never had a better tour in my life.

One of our travelling companions heard the same thing and booked a tour through Gordon (they had Valentine as a guide), and we ended up arguing long into the night whose tour was better - they felt very strongly that our tour couldn't top theirs.

His knowledge, professionalism (e-mail responses came usually the same day, frequently more than once a day, he was early to pick us up, as was Valentine, his van is spotless and in excellent condition), his love of his breathtakingly beautiful island, and his sense of humour has convinced us that we NEED to go back and spend another day with him.

Though never considered before, we are strongly considering Antigua for our wedding, no doubt mostly thanks to Gordon.

Sorry for the long-windedness. I'd be happy to provide any further information (or whatever)... Just don't book him when we're going back to the island :p

James (& Jenn)

Archived