safety on ships

sweetnovember

I took my 3 boys on our first cruise 8/06. I allowed my 12 year old to sign himself out of camp carnival. He had a great time. I truly was not worried during the cruise. However when we returned home we were telling my husband (had to work) about our trip. My son said that he and some friends had been running around on the upper decks. I just imagined him slipping on the wet deck and going between the railings. I know this is HIGHLY unlikely. What kinds of security does the ships have to ensure this kind of thing does not happen? If someone does fall off how do they know? Hind sight is 20/20. I'm a little worried about my children now having so much freedom. Does anyone else have these fears?

There is a "rim", so that they couldn't just slide off the deck! But, would you let the kids just run around a hotel??? Or any strange place, with no rules? Kids need to be watched, whether at home or on vacation! Even adults get stupid when they're on vacation, think what a "non-thinking pre-teen" will do!

I might just be a worry wart but I would not let my child run around without an adult. Kids at that age will dare each other...or hang over the deck to look at something in the ocean...and could accidently fall over.

Plus there are people from all over the world on cruise ships and there have been some incidents on cruise ship pax. If it was me...I wouldn't take a chance like that...its not worth it.

On my last cruise in Dec. I had to reprimand 4 young boys about the age of 12-14. They were being loud and obnoxious on the decks and were daring one another to do things they should not have been doing. I stepped in because I felt they were headed for trouble. They left the area and quieted down but my question at the time was: "Where the hell was their mother/father?

IMO children should not be left unsupervised. Left alone they can come up with dangerous ideas because they just don't know better and boys especially are thrill seekers..

Winnie <----> raised 4 so knows a little bit about it

But, would you let the kids just run around a hotel???

I do not know about the OP but I certainly would. Not really "run around" as in wild, disturbing and uncontrolled, but walk around, explore the hotel or the ship in an orderly way, go to the childrens programme, play on deck or swim in the pool, have a snack in the buffet, meet with friends etc.

Kids need to be watched, whether at home or on vacation!

Sorry, I need to disagree. Have you never been a child? Exploring the woods or the fields in the neighbourhood? Your first excursion by bike on you own?

12 years old children are no infants. You want to watch a 12 years old 24 hours a day? In this age they need and are capable of a certain degree of independence.

They were being loud and obnoxious

That is where the parents responsiblity comes in and where children can show that they deserve their freedom. This Freedom comes with their responsibility to behave in an orderly way.

I'm a little worried about my children now having so much freedom. Does anyone else have these fears?

I think you did the right thing. No need to worry. To accomodate some fears it might help to make sure your children report back to you at fixed times and always to have a rough idea what they are doing.

You know how developed your children are and obviously your son confirmed he was able to behave as not to get into trouble.

As for falling over board: I have yet to hear about a child getting lost. All the reports in the last years are from adults most of them drunken and late at night.

One cruise we were on there several teens running through the halls & up & down the stair cases, security had to be called several time on these well behaved children......were they yours?

Just because you give them permission to wander the ship does not mean they are walking around like you would ...kids will run & play as pointed out dare each other to do things they may not do in your presence

another scary thought

Just because you are on vacation does not mean that predators are all at home....there are many people out there that are ready to abuse children & what better place than a cruise ship where they are given free rein to go where they want without parental supervision...

Parent think "well we are at sea where could they go"

I have little kids 5-10 yrs olds going to their cabins alone what is to stop someone from harming your child.

I appreciate all the response. I was not overly concerned about my son causing problems because of my three he is very responsible, polite and very reserved. My other two are a whole different story. The idea of carnival allowing children to sign themselves out at the age of 12 influenced my decision. I agree that boys will be boys and in hindsight will never allow my oldest child to sign himself in and out again. I would also like to encourage other parents to do the same. I look back and cringe at the thought of what could have happened. Thanks guys!

I appreciate all the response. I was not overly concerned about my son causing problems because of my three he is very responsible, polite and very reserved. My other two are a whole different story. The idea of carnival allowing children to sign themselves out at the age of 12 influenced my decision. I agree that boys will be boys and in hindsight will never allow my oldest child to sign himself in and out again. I would also like to encourage other parents to do the same. I look back and cringe at the thought of what could have happened. Thanks guys!

Good for you! :)

My experience with my now 12 1/2 DS is this. Starting at age 9 he refused to go to the kids club as the stuff they had for kids to do were a little young for him. The DH made the decision to let him hang with some boys his age he met in the arcade with the following conditions: he was to check in (by walkie talkie) every hour and let us know where he was and who he was with; he was not to go out on an open deck; he was not to disturb anyone; he was not to go near the hallways to the cabin areas, and absolutely was not allowed to go into anyone's room! He followed all the rules beautifully and for the last two cruises he has been allowed to go off on his own with the new friends he makes.

I'm not advocating letting your child run free. However, if, like my child, your child shows a certain level of maturity (sp?) and, you know you can trust him/her because they have proven themselves to you, than I see no problem allowing your child a little controlled freedom.:D

Onour last cruise there were two boys about 10 years old running around the pool deck and jumping on lounge chairs and leaning way over the railing. They weren't my kids, but I gave them what for, I would hate to think they would lean over waaaay too far and fall over. Of course no parents around, those boys needed some watching.

Onour last cruise there were two boys about 10 years old running around the pool deck and jumping on lounge chairs and leaning way over the railing. They weren't my kids, but I gave them what for, I would hate to think they would lean over waaaay too far and fall over. Of course no parents around, those boys needed some watching.

I agree! And if were my kid I would want you to tell me! It goes back to what I said in my post. You have to know your kid well enough to trust them to be on their own, otherwise kids that age should be with their parent(s).

Archived