UAL New luggage Policy

pms4104

You can see that only a couple of the true frequent flyer experts have given their input on this topic. The reality of the situation is that people are going to complain regardless of how things are handled. I for one love it when airlines or businesses target specific areas to recoup their losses instead of spreading them to the general public. When they started charging for food people were in an uproar. How dare they make us go without a snack or meal for even a 2 hour flight unless we want to pay for it. :eek: Now one airline changes it's policies and limits the FREE baggage to just one bag and people are in an uproar. C'mon people it's $25 not hundreds! When some airlines went to charging more for an aisle seat I still flew them and paid the extra to be able to have a seat on the aisle. It was worth it to me. I certainly didn't expect the entire plane to have to absorb the cost of me being allowed to chose an aisle seat. Threatening to never fly United only makes it possible for people like me to have a better chance at getting a low dollar fare. They said this effects less than 25% of their flying population. Do you really think they care? If the seats go unpurchased the fares will come down and if they become reasonable enough I'll gladly pay that extra $25 to cover my extra bag. I bet most people spend that alone on a meal or stocking up on goodies at the airport to get them "through" the next flight. I do think there will be an increase in the carry on bags brought on the planes that do charge for a second bag. Larger families traveling will be able to bring one carry on for each passenger and that could add up to overflowing over head bins. In turn that will result in longer boarding and exiting the planes. :)

I have done this more than once when I was travelling for business. Just call them and ask. I definitely plan to do this for our Hawaii trip (more for sending stuff home - as I plan to shop alot when we are there :D ) - with my UPS account I can get several boxes home for $25!

Note: we weren't going to by flying United to Hawaii anyway - most likely.... but I am enjoying the ideas on packing & creative thinking. It may end up being the airline that we need to take to San Juan. All information is good information. I think for us - getting to our location with with checked bag isn't as big of a problem as getting back. I like to buy stuff. :D

Having the UPS account is a huge advantage in your case. Anyone planning on using the USPS to try this may soon realize you would spend more money on mailing your clothing than you would if you just paid for an extra suitcase. I looked into one of those luggage shipping services once it was going to cost well over $200. Egads not worth the ease of traveling luggage free.

Wow! Based on the responses I've read it is almost as though the world is about to end!

They just lost us as a customer...as well as a few (hundred) thousand others.

Its impossible to pack just one bag under 50 pounds for a 10 day ++ cruise, add the fact you can't carry on liquid's and other things from the past and you've got minimum of 2 bags plus a carry on per person.

Bye- bye United!

Come on! I'm not a light packer but if you can't fit ten days worth of clothes into a suitcase you either need to buy a bigger suitcase or pack more efficiently. I've taken three and four week trips with one suitcase! I emigrated with two suitcases and a carry on bag...and I didn't ship anything!

The fact is that you're all wingeing over $25 for a second bag but you'll be damn sure that if United is the cheapest carrier then you'll be flying them!

I'm OK, I still get three bags, not that I'll ever use two of them. Any cruisers flying from RIC on UA can use my spare allowance ;)

Sort of makes the old car trip look good again!:)

What is the REASON for limiting the 2nd bag? Is it to cut fuel costs of carrying more luggage????????? Was a reason given?

Looks like things are ever changing in the travel industry. Travel used to be fun! Now it is not only a drudge but a worry that all goes well, bags aren't overweight, no liquids, get through security - remove shoes, belts, lap tops, etc etc. Hope your plane is on time, the pilots and stewards show up, and that there aren't any mechanical problems and/or weather delays either in the city you depart from or wherever your connection is going to or coming from! Wow! And we pay dearly for this?! Where does all this travel baloney end?

As for packing in only one bag - looks like a lot of people will have to eliminate formal wear and just go casual in order to keep it down to one bag, 50 lbs. max. What a shame that it has to be this way!:(

As for packing in only one bag - looks like a lot of people will have to eliminate formal wear and just go casual in order to keep it down to one bag, 50 lbs. max. What a shame that it has to be this way!:(

What? It doesn't have to be this way! You can take a second bag, it'll just cost $25...about the cost of half a very forgettable meal out at a fourth rate chain restaurant.

I think we're losing sight of the big picture here!

What? It doesn't have to be this way! You can take a second bag, it'll just cost $25...about the cost of half a very forgettable meal out at a fourth rate chain restaurant.

I think we're losing sight of the big picture here!

While I agree a 2nd bag cost just $25, if you are paying $50 for a two star meal, you need to seriously review your restaurant choices. I can get a two star meal for under $20, a three star meal for $30, a four star meal for a about $45 and a five star meal for about $75. I would not be paying four star prices for a two star meal.

Even if it costs $20 to mail a box of clothing to a hotel on the other side of the country, it would mean one less suitcase for me to lug around. When traveling with three young children, THAT is priceless...

I routinely mail boxes of good quality "hand-me-down" clothing to a friend (her daughter is a few years younger than mine) in Oregon. It usually costs between $13-18.

I will check with the hotel first to see if they will hold the package for me and if there is a fee for this service. (Thanks for the suggestion!)

While I agree a 2nd bag cost just $25, if you are paying $50 for a two star meal, you need to seriously review your restaurant choices. I can get a two star meal for under $20, a three star meal for $30, a four star meal for a about $45 and a five star meal for about $75. I would not be paying four star prices for a two star meal.

Forgive my back of the envelope calculations, was basing it on two people eating at dodgy chain Cheesecake Factory/Chilis/Applebees etc ;)

$15 a piece for main course = $30

$7 a drink = $15

Tip $5-ish

$50-ish

As for packing in only one bag - looks like a lot of people will have to eliminate formal wear and just go casual in order to keep it down to one bag, 50 lbs. max.

My suitcases all have suitors built into the lid (on the inside), so there's no need for a separate bag just for formal wear. If ppl don't have this type of luggage, they might want to look into investing in a new set, as lots of sets have this feature now. My new suitcase even came with a really nice hanger to use with it (black powdercoated and with a rubber tip on the sharp edge of the hanging part).

Forgive my back of the envelope calculations, was basing it on two people eating at dodgy chain Cheesecake Factory/Chilis/Applebees etc ;)

$15 a piece for main course = $30

$7 a drink = $15

Tip $5-ish

$50-ish

Well, your terminology fooled me. You said "meal". You didn't say dinner for two or even "meals".

Well, your terminology fooled me. You said "meal". You didn't say dinner for two or even "meals".

Please forgive my British heritage. ;)

Going out for a meal (singular) could mean one person going for a bite to eat on his own, or equally an untold amount of people enjoying a veritable banquet ;) Dinner is something the 'lower echelons of society' enjoy, maybe instead of 'supper' :D

Irony and sarcasm don't 'read' too well either...

Going out for a meal (singular) could mean one person going for a bite to eat on his own, or equally an untold amount of people enjoying a veritable banquet ;) Dinner is something the 'lower echelons of society' enjoy, maybe instead of 'supper' :D

I wasn't aware there was a class system to eating. So a supper is higher than dinner. Where does a "meal" and "lunch" fall within this hierarchy? And what about a "snack" or "tea"?

I wasn't aware there was a class system to eating. So a supper is higher than dinner. Where does a "meal" and "lunch" fall within this hierarchy? And what about a "snack" or "tea"?

Here is a link to Frommers where they are discussing the same thing. They are bringing up a sur-charge of sorts for PEOPLE over a set weight due to increased fuel usage. Interesting way to make us all diet!

http://www.frommers.com/cgi-bin/WebX?128@@.ef44cf1

I have already read the Frommers thread and I would guess that A.D.A. policies/laws would be called into play.

However, a total load factor per passenger could be interesting ... floor scales in the check-in area and each passenger stands on that scale with all his carryon and checked bags, with an assessed fee for each 25 or 50 lbs over some fixed total amount. What a nightmare! Doubt it would ever happen, but it's fun to fantasize.

If you want room service, you gotta pay for it. If you want to check three bags, you gotta pay for it.

The new policy has to do with a fee for a 2nd checked bag ... and that is the issue. With some exceptions, passengers have been permitted 2 not 3 free checked bags prior to this current fundraising attempt at United.

In the end, consumers may well get the last laugh on United.

If indeed, as news stories report, United is counting on generating $100 million/year by charging for the 2nd checked bag ... wouldn't it be a riot if United passengers (those in the cheap seats without mileage status) each checked only 1 bag.

What, then, will United do to make up for the $100 million/year shortfall in their financials?

Even if it costs $20 to mail a box of clothing to a hotel on the other side of the country, it would mean one less suitcase for me to lug around. When traveling with three young children, THAT is priceless...

It will cost considerably more than $20.00 to mail anything close to a suitcase full of clothes from one side of the country to the other.

From NYC to LA-45 pounds-Parcel post (2-3 week delivery, no confirmation to verify where your package is) $40.45

Priority Mail (3-4 days with Delivery Confirmation)-$66.90

And those are post office rates. UPS is even more expensive, even with an account. I own an international logistics company and even with my very high vendor discounts, only get close to the PO rates.

Makes $25.00 to United look like quite the bargain, other than actually handling the suitcases at the airport. But it is just as much hassle to get the box, pack it, drive to the PO and ship, ESPECIALLY on the way home.

Archived