UAL New luggage Policy

pms4104

I don't fly United, but feel bad for those who do, even though I only pack one suitcase for myself (only went over the 50 lbs. once [in my 30" case, usually I use a 26" or so] and that was 'cause of some things I was bringing to a friend). My second bag is for my service dog, so that doesn't count towards luggage restrictions. But I'm still glad that the airline I fly allows for two bags, even though I'm not into makeup and shoes and all that stuff - just usually clothes, underwear, a book or two, and toiletries. But you never know when you might need a second bag for souvenirs and such - I love souvenirs even from places I frequent, LOL.

When our family of 5 flies for our next big vacation, I am seriously going to ask our hotel if we can mail a package and have it held for us...

I will just mail bulky stuff I can afford to lose (shorts, t-shirts, jeans, PJs).

OR we will pack extremely light and buy cheap clothes at Target/Walmart when we arrive. (Our vacations are casual anyway - except for that dreaded formal night on a cruise).

Then we will mail our dirty laundry home...

What a strange world this has become!

United seems to think they can raise $100 million each year by charging this fee. I doubt they will get half of that. Anyone who knows they will have two checked bags just won't fly them unless the price makes up for it. The fee is $25 per bag each way so it is $50 round trip. United has a hub at Denver where Frontier has a hub also (no service fee for 2nd bag.) Also Southwest is growing fast there which has no service fee for a secong bag. United also has a hub in Chicago as well as several other airlines which don't have the fees. And they have a hub at Washington Dulles which Washington DC area has no shortage of airlines with three airports nearby.

Airlines always try things to see if others will follow, sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't. I'm sure if other airlines don't follow, they will reverse it. I think they are shooting themselves in the foot with this though.

It is already hard enough to pack less than 50lbs. in a 29" suitcase for a cruise. Some airlines are letting you go over by a pound or two but thats it.

Truckdogg4 - It is usually less to book your own air and fly in the day before than to use cruise air.

Just another reason to hate flying! Thing is, I live in the DC area, and United has a hub at Dulles. I don't fly often enough to earn any kind of mileage status, but when I do fly, it's often United that has the flight to where I want to go. Looks like I'll be traveling light if I go anywhere now. Flying has really become so horrible- I really dread it every time.

You could fly from Washington National which isn't that far away. I like National because I can leave my car at home and catch Metro there.

They just lost us as a customer...as well as a few (hundred) thousand others.

Its impossible to pack just one bag under 50 pounds for a 10 day ++ cruise, add the fact you can't carry on liquid's and other things from the past and you've got minimum of 2 bags plus a carry on per person.

It is totally possible to pack one bag.

We live in New Zealand and our baggage limit (except when going through the US) is 20Kg (50 pounds). Even when going through the States, if our return journey is through Asia, we have to stick to the 20Kg limit.

Last May-July, we did a 7.5 week holiday, including 7 days in a motor home in Alaska, 7 nights on a cruise (southbound, Seward, Inside Passage to Vancouver), across Canada, to the UK, Spain, Singapore, and back to NZ.

We stuck to that 20Kg limit all the way, and we still had room for clothes for formal nights on the cruise. It takes a little thought and planning, but it can be done, and you have the added bonus of only having to worry about one bag.

I doubt they'll start taking away the Star Alliance Gold Benefits just yet.

There are some *A Gold benefits that United have taken away. About 18 months ago they stopped allowing non-United *A Golds and Silvers into E+ gratis. There are some things they have to keep in place; business class check-in and free access to the Red Carpet Clubs spring to mind.

As a *A Gold myself it is good to see that I'm still allowed three bags. Then I remembered the only time I've needed more than one checked bag was when I emigrated! Two suitcases and a carry on...and I didn't send anything by ship!

I don't pack light by any means and manage to always fit my clothes for two weeks holiday into one suitcase. Maybe those of you who need a number of different bags need to buy bigger ones or pack more efficiently...or pay $25.

Forget about the fees; I'm fantasizing about the effect of this new charge on the flying experience.

I think it was right after the liquid/gel ban was announced that pax started checking bags in droves. For a little while there, boarding and disembarking were remarkably fast, and overhead bin space was plentiful.

I expect the opposite effect on United. Everything that can be carried on (as well as many things that shouldn't) will be. In addition, most of the checked bags will be big, heavy ones, which should have an interesting effect on how long it takes to load and unload the baggage compartment.

I think this is a good time to avoid flying United.

If it walks like a fuel surcharge and talks like a fuel surcharge, it is a fuel surcharge. That is exactly what this is and my guess is all the airlines will be coming on board, sooner rather than later. The beauty of this particular fuel surcharge is it can remain even if the price of jet fuel goes down (which I don't believe will ever happen, at least not down to where it needs to be). The spot price (wholesale) of jet fuel was $1.53 /gal. in Jan '07. It hit around $2.73 /gal. in November '07, it is currently $2.53 /gal. This why they will ALL apply this charge, or something like it, to get the revenue to cover higher costs.

We'll probably see more airlines doing this as time goes on. Spirit has been doing it for over a year now, and it seems to work for them, and they are pretty competetive with fares. We don't use them very much though as they are very limited for flights where we live, but occasionally we can.

I guess some will have to forego the packing of cases of water and soft drinks to bring on the cruise ships as well, and before you think about mailing, or UPS for your clothes, check out those rates as well. You may be better off packing the extra suitcase and pay the airline.

(I have to admit, I hadn't heard the pillow one.... do people do that? :eek: )

Yes, DH and I both take our pillow in a big duffle ("the pillow bag"). He never did that in his other life, but I have corrupted him. We put other stuff in the bag too, but its real purpose is pillows.

The Houston Chronicle has a story today on the new United baggage rule(http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/biz/5513466.html). It says that they are following Southwest's lead (SWA reducing from 3 checked bags to 2). Sounds like UAL got a little over-rambunctious in their "follow the leader" thing....:p The article goes on to say that other airlines are watching UAL to see what the reaction is, and that they too will reduce the number of free checked bags if this experiment is a success.

Although DH and I could easily reduce the amount of stuff we take, I feel pretty sure that UAL will not be our airline of choice, unless it is the only choice!

I just wish that the airlines would enforce their own rules regarding carry-ons. I see people with so much carry-on stuff that they could fill two overhead bins and the underneath of their seat. Then, they have to delay everyone getting on or off the plane while they schlep their stuff down the aisle, put it away (or collect it again at the end) clonking all the aisle passenger on their way in and out. :eek: THAT makes me cranky! Just three more years and I can be considered old and cantankerous.....right now, they just think I'mb%#$@#$@$chy.

It is totally possible to pack one bag.

We live in New Zealand and our baggage limit (except when going through the US) is 20Kg (50 pounds). Even when going through the States, if our return journey is through Asia, we have to stick to the 20Kg limit.

Last May-July, we did a 7.5 week holiday, including 7 days in a motor home in Alaska, 7 nights on a cruise (southbound, Seward, Inside Passage to Vancouver), across Canada, to the UK, Spain, Singapore, and back to NZ.

We stuck to that 20Kg limit all the way, and we still had room for clothes for formal nights on the cruise. It takes a little thought and planning, but it can be done, and you have the added bonus of only having to worry about one bag.

That's encouraging, I hate to carry around tons of luggage.

Aren't they also the airline who charges for an exit row?:confused:

I am not surprised.

That's Delta or Northwest (skyteam anyway) that charges for prime seats. UA has E+ which has more leg room and they do charge more for that but its a benefit that costs them seats so that's fair.

First off, although probably hugely unpopular on a board with people heading to a cruise, this will effect a small number of UA passengers. 20-25%. Then coming out of that 20-25% are all the elites among them for whom this is still free. As is Economy+ and priority boarding for that overhead space and everything else.

UA has had some of the cheapest fares going this past year. First level elite (premier) starts at 25,000 miles a year. A very easy and simple goal to get to if these fares and surcharges bother you that much.

The other airlines will add this one as well. Just the way it is. Just like i've read about cruising where the same cruise today is so much cheaper than it was 5 years ago, so too are our airline fares. The cost per mile flown for a passenger has stayed quite low even considering the nickle and dime attitude of the airlines.

So I honestly am in favor of this fee. I'd rather they tax someone else than up my fare. I rarely check a bag and never check 2 and am elite anyway. So this and so many other nickle and dime fees dont apply. But they do keep my fares low. Just like if they start charging for them taking our bags off the boat, more people will self disembark.

For me, it's normal to pack one bag for DH and I and a carry on each. We are flying United to San Diego this Saturday for our cruise. :D With the price I got for a coast to coast flight (under $250.00 pp), I'd be more than happy to pay another $25 for an extra if need be. All the other airlines I checked were about $400. United still saved me big time. :)

So I honestly am in favor of this fee. I'd rather they tax someone else than up my fare. I rarely check a bag and never check 2 and am elite anyway. So this and so many other nickle and dime fees dont apply. But they do keep my fares low. Just like if they start charging for them taking our bags off the boat, more people will self disembark.

That's a very good point. We're a family of five and when we fly, we take a total of four bags, none of which are over 50 pounds. Granted, my kids are young (the oldest is 11) so their clothes are smaller. For me, it's a better deal for United to charge a fee to people with more luggage than to raise my ticket fare to compensate for them.

Well, I guess that would cut down on carbon emissions ;). Maybe they are trying to economise on fuel - encourage people to take less luggage = lighter loads = less fuel consumption.

More likely than going out lighter, they will fill the extra weight with cargo, which they can charge more than a passenger for.

Unfortunately, we Americans are less likely to adjust and more likely to find ways to continue our profligate ways. When they can only check one bag, they will pack bigger and heavier carryons. :rolleyes:

I don't think you'll see a large increase in carry on as those restriction are more enforced recently than they were and some airports like EWR have the TSA enforcing size and number at the security point.

They just lost us as a customer...as well as a few (hundred) thousand others.

Its impossible to pack just one bag under 50 pounds for a 10 day ++ cruise, add the fact you can't carry on liquid's and other things from the past and you've got minimum of 2 bags plus a carry on per person.

Bye- bye United!

I hope other carriers don't follow suit. :eek:

How many of the people here swearing off UA have chosen UA in the past based on them being the cheapest to where you wanted to go?

Here's what I just emailed United customer service:

Thanks for announcing the $25.00 fee for a second checked bag. I am getting ready to book air travel to coincide with two cruises. Since we'll be vacationing on land prior to and after both cruises, we will need to check two bags each. I can now cross United off my list of possible carriers. You saved me at least $50.00, and lost at least $3,000 in ticket sales.:rolleyes:

The consumer still has a voice in a free market economy!

I am a Premier member of United. The perks are ok, but the on time performance has been miserable. On the past three flights from Denver to Phoenix, I have had a 6.5 hour delay, a 3 hour delay, and a 2.5 hour delay. The delays were due to flight crews not showing up, or the pilots not being able to fly due to the number of hours they had already flown that day. I am sick and tired of delays. I travel home on weekends, and I hate to lose so much time at home. I am at a point where I will start flying Southwest. Not for the reduced airfare, but because of their on time record.

As far as the bag charge goes, I doubt the other airlines will follow suit. United is always in financial trouble, and it is looking for ways to increase revenue. Charging for the bags raise about 100 million annually.

On a recent cruise out of San Juan, I ended up checking five bags on the way back. I would not like the $25 for the second bag, and (I think I read) $50 for each subsequent bag. That would have cost me an extra $175 just to return home. United is out of line doing this, and I think their bottom line will suffer as people move to other airlines. Just my two cents.

I am seriously going to ask our hotel if we can mail a package and have it held for us...

I have done this more than once when I was travelling for business. Just call them and ask. I definitely plan to do this for our Hawaii trip (more for sending stuff home - as I plan to shop alot when we are there :D ) - with my UPS account I can get several boxes home for $25!

Note: we weren't going to by flying United to Hawaii anyway - most likely.... but I am enjoying the ideas on packing & creative thinking. It may end up being the airline that we need to take to San Juan. All information is good information. I think for us - getting to our location with with checked bag isn't as big of a problem as getting back. I like to buy stuff. :D

How many of the people here swearing off UA have chosen UA in the past based on them being the cheapest to where you wanted to go?

Well I haven't flown United in over 20 years. Partly because they only recently began service to my airport, and since then their fares have been the same or higher than everyone else. Plus for where I've been traveling I'd have had the fun of going through Denver in the winter, which was not going to happen.

I swore off Northwest 2 years ago and have NOT flown them since even though they have been the cheapest option for several flights I've taken.

I learned long ago, cheapest does not always mean better.

Archived