UAL New luggage Policy

pms4104

Following is a link to a portion of United's website that describes its new baggage policy:

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,52481,00.html

Will be interesting to see how long it lasts, how it's received, if any other carriers follow suit.

Seems to impaact only the cheap seats and those who are not prestige members of their mileage program ... most of us!

I can only imagine what will be carried on board now.

The nickle & diming continues. As a consumer, I have to ask "what value do I get out of this?". Answer: nothing!

Indeed, more carryon crap ... not that those policies are well enforced anyhow, at least not that I've noticed. What's next? An additonal fee for ALL carryon crap? They'd make a fortune on that!

My guess is that United is trying to write black ink instead of red ... gee, maybe their business plan to get out of bankruptcy should have been based on a realistic fuel price. If memory serves me correctly, their plan was predicated on $50/barrel oil at a time when the going price exceeded $70/barrel.

Sounds like a VERY good reason to consolidate your flying to one or two airlines. If you only fly once a year, guess you pay. But if you fly often enough, having elite status sure has it's benefits.

United is still struggling along. As JJPNYC stated, more nickel and diming so the American public can still have their "cheap" air fares.

I am not for consolidation of the airline industry, as I am sure it will bring higher prices all the way around. But struggling airlines just can't seem to get the gumption to raise prices to the point where they actually make a profit.

As you all know, I am a VERY loyal AA flier. I get all the benefits of my EXP status. But I also generally pay a premium to fly AA. I don't price shop very often. I do try to get the best price AA can give me and sometimes that means flying on the "weird" routing (like NYC/RDU/MIA/SCL). But too many people want the nonstop, point to point flight and are UNWILLING to pay the price (just look at the posts on this board-"why can't I find cheaper air").

When the American public wakes up to the fact that this is NOT September 30, 2001 and fuel/wages/insurance have all gone up tremendously, maybe the nickel and diming will stop. Otherwise, you better be prepared to fly A LOT for the extra FREE luggage allowance or just figure the fee into your "cheap ticket".

I also could see this being the proverbial "nail in the coffin" that kills United.

Instead of raising extra revenue which was the idea behind it, it drives enough people away that it actually forces United to surrended to an acquisition (notice, I didn't say merger) by someone else since United's stock price plummeted so much as a result of increased losses due to lost passenger revenue with people balking at paying $25 for a 2nd bag.

Penny wise, pound foolish is all I can say.

I also could see this being the proverbial "nail in the coffin" that kills United.

Instead of raising extra revenue which was the idea behind it, it drives enough people away that it actually forces United to surrended to an acquisition (notice, I didn't say merger) by someone else since United's stock price plummeted so much as a result of increased losses due to lost passenger revenue with people balking at paying $25 for a 2nd bag.

Penny wise, pound foolish is all I can say.

Possibly, but in light of Southwest cutting back a couple weeks ago from 3 checked bags to 2, and some of the discounters like Spirit charging for checked luggage, not to mention the much more restrictive luggage policies in most other areas of the world, my prediction is instead of isolating and killing United, you'lll see a mad rush to have similar policies announced by the other majors in the next few weeks. Unfortunately.

My 2 cents worth: CO has made a nice marketing position of serving meals and providing IFE on their flights. I don't see them in a rush to charge for luggage.

Unfortunately, the Ryanair model (charge for everything short of the air you breathe on the plane) is the darling of airline accountants everywhere. When finance guys (think Steenland, Tilton, and above all, the non-lamented Leo Mullin) rather than operation guys run a business, it's a mad rush to the bottom in terms of customer service.

Then again, I also severely fault the US consumer. The infatuation with the immediate "low number" has driven airlines and cruiselines to the "++" concept - where the low number draws in the sale and then customers find out all of the nickel & dime add-ons.

"You like that rock-climbing wall on our ship, so that's why you bought our cruise....well to use it, that'll be XXX dollars. You want a cup of coffee....XXX dollars. You want a deck chair....."

That stinks. I fly United as much as I can but nowhere near the level needed for Premier status. I guess United has decided to downgrade itself to a low cost airline (without the lower cost of course).

This will definitely be taken into account whenever I'm purchasing airfare.

This sucks beyond all comprehension. I have not been a regular customer of United, but this will certainly keep me from flying them.

I'm not one of their regular customers either but I wondered if they still have that slogan :"Fly the Friendly Skies of United"? and if so, can they still say it with a straight face? Seems their skies are getting decidedly less friendly with policies like this. My biggest concernis that the other carriers will follow suit. :mad:

What are they trying to do? Get rid of passengers all together!? How can folks take longer trips with only 50lbs per person? I mean, if my husband takes 2 pair of shoes in a suitcase, that's 8 lbs, right there! Add any liquids that you can't carry on the plane, plus the weight of the suitcase... you get the picture.

I'm sure the other airlines will all be lined up behind them with a similar policy. That's what usually happens when the airlines change policies. Just happens it's United's "turn" to go first.

Actually considering the uproar over the fuel surcharge a couple of weeks ago (which United started and then had to back away from), the other airlines might be a little more cautious before fully jumping on the bandwagon.

Puts a new spin on the whole surcharge thing doesn't it. I have pretty much come kicking and screaming into this new world. I am going to just accept 1 bag 40 pounds and a tiny carry on and I am going to say no more formal wear. No more nice clothes, just comfortable respectful clothes, and lots of sink washings. So, we are going to have to be tolerant of slobs on the ships in the future because now it will be us.:(

They are really taking the fun out of so many things these days. :(

jc

The other unintended consequence of such a policy is that there will be even more people attempting to board the planes with oversized "carryons" that neither fit under the seat or in the overhead compartment. I have never ceased to be amazed at what some passengers carry onboard with them and I fear that things will only get worse. :rolleyes: Maybe they think that by limiting the amount of checked luggage they will reduce their rates of lost luggage. Maybe I'll just wear a week's worth of clothes the next time I fly.:D Of course then they'll charge me extra for taking up an additional seat. ;)

Puts a new spin on the whole surcharge thing doesn't it. I have pretty much come kicking and screaming into this new world. I am going to just accept 1 bag 40 pounds and a tiny carry on and I am going to say no more formal wear. No more nice clothes, just comfortable respectful clothes, and lots of sink washings. So, we are going to have to be tolerant of slobs on the ships in the future because now it will be us.:(

They are really taking the fun out of so many things these days. :(

jc

One of the reasons my husband will be renting a tux and the shoes for the next cruise. Lot less weight and will send out laundry as needed.

Archived