UAL New luggage Policy

pms4104

While I agree a 2nd bag cost just $25, if you are paying $50 for a two star meal, you need to seriously review your restaurant choices. I can get a two star meal for under $20, a three star meal for $30, a four star meal for a about $45 and a five star meal for about $75. I would not be paying four star prices for a two star meal.

PLEASE tell me where I can get a 5* meal for $75.00 in LA. Born and raised in Los Angeles, travel there at least once a month for business. I am still looking for the under $100.00 meal for my clients.

The Water Grill, Inn of the Seventh Ray, Spark and Ritual are some of my favorites. I have NEVER walked out without at least a $200.00 bill-steak, appetizer, usually a salad, iced tea, and one drink.

Even the Pantry in downtown LA (another place I LOVE), while old and historic, can hardly be described as anything more than a diner. Steak, salad, and iced tea is over $20.00 per person, not counting tip.

PLEASE tell me where I can get a 5* meal for $75.00 in LA. Born and raised in Los Angeles, travel there at least once a month for business. I am still looking for the under $100.00 meal for my clients.

The Water Grill, Inn of the Seventh Ray, Spark and Ritual are some of my favorites. I have NEVER walked out without at least a $200.00 bill-steak, appetizer, usually a salad, iced tea, and one drink.

Even the Pantry in downtown LA (another place I LOVE), while old and historic, can hardly be described as anything more than a diner. Steak, salad, and iced tea is over $20.00 per person, not counting tip.

I go to Ruth's Chris and get a drink (usually ice tea) a salad and a steak for under $80 including a 20% tip.

I figured out how you can use this to your advantage - if you have a young child over the age of two and under 50 pounds. Put the kid in a large suit case and I am sure the $25 charge will be less than purchasing another seat. Leave him/her with a Gameboy and something to drink and (s)he will be fine. :D (By the way, don't really try this. It is both illegal and dangerous.)

I go to Ruth's Chris and get a drink (usually ice tea) a salad and a steak for under $80 including a 20% tip.

Ruth Chris, a chain restaurant, certainly doesn't qualify for 5* dining. And not someplace you can take clients when you need to have a "business dinner". Too many families, too many kids. Nothing wrong with Ruth Chris, but not a 5* restaurant.

Ruth Chris, a chain restaurant, certainly doesn't qualify for 5* dining. And not someplace you can take clients when you need to have a "business dinner". Too many families, too many kids. Nothing wrong with Ruth Chris, but not a 5* restaurant.
Well, I don't agree with your statement about too many kids (I think I've seen two and I have not sat anywhere near any), but after doing a little checking you are correct, Ruth's Chris is not five stars - it is four stars. Oops.

Actually, while I like Ruth's Chris a lot, the Mobil Travel Guide typically lists them as 3 stars (http://mobiltravelguide.howstuffworks.com/ruths-chris-steak-house-san-diego-ca-restaurant.htm).

I think this is much closer to the true rating. It is a CHAIN restaurant. Chain restaurants very rarely make the top echelon of restaurants. You need a chef with a varied menu to make the top rankings.

How in the heck did we turn this into a restaurant discussion???? WAAAAAY too many United airline/$25.00 per bag threads on this board, I guess.

I think this is much closer to the true rating. It is a CHAIN restaurant. Chain restaurants very rarely make the top echelon of restaurants. You need a chef with a varied menu to make the top rankings.

How in the heck did we turn this into a restaurant discussion???? WAAAAAY too many United airline/$25.00 per bag threads on this board, I guess.

Well, I found local ratings as high as of 4.5 stars and as low as three stars with most at four stars, so that is the figure I used. Nonetheless, you are correct, we have gotten way off base here.

I didn't read the article, but the ADA is for people with disabilities, not people who are just overweight.

I understand that the A.D.A. is about disabilities but ... I believe there have been instances where morbidly obese individuals have invoked A.D.A. when they believe they've been victims of discrimination based on their weight/size.

My suitcases all have suitors built into the lid (on the inside), so there's no need for a separate bag just for formal wear. If ppl don't have this type of luggage, they might want to look into investing in a new set, as lots of sets have this feature now.
You can suits pack into a normal suitcase without getting them creased. You just need to know how. Before suit carriers were built into the lids of suitcases, we all learned how to do it, regularly.

• 3 weeks later...

For all of those that said, "we don't want to pay extra for our airfare as a fair adjustment to compensate for rising fuel costs since we can pack all into one suitcase, let those that can't or don't want to pay for rising fuel costs".... Well guess what.... Not only are those of us that need/want 2 pieces of luggage going to have to pay extra, so are you..... I heard on Fox News today that they are raising ticket prices also.....

Globaliser, semantics, schmantics ;) You'll have to pry that maroon and gold leaf little book from my cold dead hands. ;)

I heard on Fox News today that they are raising ticket prices also.....

Alert the media...Saying airline tickets are going to rise is some ambigious it isn't even worth reporting. Good 'ol Faux News.

P.S. Not sure your signature block is big enough :eek:

Alert the media...Saying airline tickets are going to rise is some ambigious it isn't even worth reporting. Good 'ol Faux News.

P.S. Not sure your signature block is big enough :eek:

Wow.. that's quite snide...... Considering many on here didn't want their tickets to go up at all since they don't want or need to have a 2nd piece of luggage! And now there's a charge for a 2nd piece AND the prices are going up.... Just an FYI.......

And NO>>>>>>>>>>>>my signature isn't big enough.... Time to make it bigger.......:cool:

Wow.. that's quite snide...... Considering many on here didn't want their tickets to go up at all since they don't want or need to have a 2nd piece of luggage! And now there's a charge for a 2nd piece AND the prices are going up.... Just an FYI

Not snide in the least. No one is forcing you to fly United, take two suitcases, and pay the extra fee. Find another airline if you don't like the rules.

And don't you drive or buy food???? Prices are WAAAAY up and that is generally a result of two things-oil 1.5 times the price a year ago and subsidized corn ethanol production in the USA to pacify the environmentalists.

I believe airline tickets will take a BIG jump about July/August (about 20%). United MAY be the cheapest on any given routing, even adding in the $25.00 extra luggage fee. You have to do some basic math.

They are really making it hard for people traveling to Europe to catch a cruise. Most luggage that you buy now is pretty heavy - then pack clothes, etc. Does anyone know where to find a really light 2 suiter?

As I predicted earlier, others are also starting...US Airways is next, for travel starting May 5 and ticketed starting today.

Two partner airlines, both failing. I am surprised that US doesn't allow 2 bags/50 pounds internationally for free. Or did I miss that???

I figure Delta and NW will jump on the bandwagon pretty soon.

Continental and AA are making some money and probably will not institute soon. If the fees make US and United fail sooner then later, they did well to stand their ground against the fee.

I really wonder how this will affect cruise air tickets-especially European/Med cruises this spring and summer. Could be a RUDE awakening to a lot of pax, when they have NO choice of airline. LOTS of the bookings are on US to Rome and BCN from the East Coast.

Archived