UAL New luggage Policy

pms4104

United is becoming an ala carte airline. Pay your airfare and by the way, do you want to add a United Plus seat for only $39.00 each way? Want a snack box? Want to check more than one bag? Soon they'll stand at the door and charge you $10.00 for a carry-on.

I flew on United last week after returning from a cruise. My friend and I went to the curb side desk to have our bags checked (1 bag each) and he immediately picked up our bags and weighed them on the scale outside. They were 5 and 6lbs over weight and he proceeded to to me and the person I was with it would be a $50 charge. At first I thought he meant all together, but when he said it was a piece, I could not believe the rip off! I proceeded to open my bag, take out my beach bag, and place 5lbs worth of weight in it. I can't imagine people being able to take a trip longer than 7 days and stay under that weight limit! No more United for me!:mad:

Well - that stinks! Just when I get my husband to fly to ports. :eek:

Just a charge that I will have to keep in mind when pricing upcoming flights. I think I have only flown on UAL once, so it isn't like it would be our first choice anyway - but something to think about. I like shoes!! And tend to bring them with me. :D

**At least they aren't making it retroactive to tickets already bought. :rolleyes:

I just bought two tix to San Juan last week. You can bet your boots that had this policy been in place at that time I would have picked a different airline.

The sad part is that this policy will be buried in the fine print and unsuspecting passengers will basically be forced to pay the extra fee while standing at the ticket counter. What other choice will they have? Leave the luggage behind? Cancel their flight?

Just another reason to hate flying! Thing is, I live in the DC area, and United has a hub at Dulles. I don't fly often enough to earn any kind of mileage status, but when I do fly, it's often United that has the flight to where I want to go. Looks like I'll be traveling light if I go anywhere now. Flying has really become so horrible- I really dread it every time.

I just bought two tix to San Juan last week. You can bet your boots that had this policy been in place at that time I would have picked a different airline.

At least you are covered as you bought your ticket before this policy went into place.

You know it might help if you read the board first before you post all these news stories. :rolleyes:

Maybe it would help if the pages loaded quicker on CC to find these stories.

Sorry to steal your Thunder :)

can't wait for the Port of New Orleans to get a large Carnival ship again next year (Conquest left after Katrina)....then I won't have to fly in order to take a cruise!

I guess if we tried real hard we could limit ourselves to one bag each...we usually pack three between the two of us....but that would make repacking after the cruise a real hassle. and while I understand some of the reasons for this change, it still will make packing more of a hassle.

we haven't flown United in many years, but I am sure if this rule works for them everyone else will follow!

Beverly

I have some of the same concerns as many....if this works, the other airlines will adopt it. Why not just raise the cost of fares by $25 instead of playing this game? How much will the water and the soda be on our next flight?

Jen

I have some of the same concerns as many....if this works, the other airlines will adopt it. Why not just raise the cost of fares by $25 instead of playing this game? How much will the water and the soda be on our next flight?

Jen

The business travelers are the airlines bread and butter. Raising the fares will cost them. Adding a fee for the 2nd checked bag will not affect most of them. Most of them only have carry on. We saw the airlines try to raise prices just a few days ago, and it did not go over very well.

The business travelers are the airlines bread and butter. Raising the fares will cost them. Adding a fee for the 2nd checked bag will not affect most of them. Most of them only have carry on. We saw the airlines try to raise prices just a few days ago, and it did not go over very well.

It won't effect most of the business travellers, they'll likely have "Status". According to this new policy, I can still check 3 suitcases weighing 70lbs each. This isn't going to affect many business travels.

This was just United's turn to go first, the others will follow, just like the fuel surcharges.

Puts a new spin on the whole surcharge thing doesn't it. I have pretty much come kicking and screaming into this new world. I am going to just accept 1 bag 40 pounds and a tiny carry on and I am going to say no more formal wear. No more nice clothes, just comfortable respectful clothes, and lots of sink washings. So, we are going to have to be tolerant of slobs on the ships in the future because now it will be us.:(

They are really taking the fun out of so many things these days. :(

jc

I was thinking the same thing about the fuel surcharge thread. Same thing, different item. Weight = fuel usage. At least they didn't try to backload it. This may be the wave of the future. There's airlines out there now that charge to pick your seats early. You pay for a boxed lunch, etc., etc. Look for the nickel and diming on air travel to continue.

Thankfully here in Houston, UAL is of no consequences, and as Continental expands Asian services I doubt even more that I would need to hop UAL for just about any destination.

For those who really do have to use UAL, lets hope they don't really go all out and start playing the low fare European carrier plan where you on some pay for every single bag you check. That gets crazy!!!

Happy Cruising!

You can still pack and check 2 bags if you want to, you just have to be willing to fork over $25 each way to do so.

I think people will just have to get used to travelling lighter. I've not packed a bag over 50 lbs. for several years now and have not packed more than one bag and one carry on, sometimes trying to only pack one carry on only.

The only part that will affect me is the return trip home. I've always just checked my carry on and walked onto the plane with only my purse. I can put my jewelry, camera and anything else I may need for the flight into my purse.

It's all doable if you don't try to pack for every "what-if" you can conjure up and if you mix and match clothes and cut back on shoes. You don't have to forego fashion, just select the right pieces and be willing to do a little hand washing in the sink and/or send a bit of clothes out for cleaning. We spend no more than $30 a week on laundry charges on a week long cruise.

A recent travel article was written by a former baggage handler regarding the treatment of luggage. He stated they are far kinder to the lighter luggage and they can tell the seasoned traveler or business traveler compared to the once a year vacation traveler. I personally think they treat every single case roughly, but it does makes sense that they don't gently lift the heavy 50 lb. bags.

You can always take a 24 inch suitcase as carry on luggage and check a larger suitcase. I work at a airport that sees many cruisers. Pack small hairsprays, shamphoo, etc. We see so many over weight bags that people try and lighten up so not to pay the fee when the bag weighs more than 50 lbs. I am a light packer and on my last trip to Europe I actually took old pjs, boots, tops and sweaters that I left when coming back so that I had room for all the stuff I bought. I did this on purpose. I bought a three dollar bathrobe at Target and left that. I take one pair opf dress shoes and one pair of all purpose shoes. I have seen suitcases that are filled with just shoes. I see this as a trend coming quickly. One airline at my aiport doesn't even give people a chance to lighten up, they just tell them to pay the 50.00 dollars. They have a weekly goal on money taken in this way. The fuel is killing them and people still want low fares so they see this as a way to make it up. Many airlines charge for window and exit rows. I have started flying one way on one airline and another on the next leg. You can get great deals that way sometimes. Skybus out of St. Augustine has cheap flights but then charges you for each bag you take on.

Archived