"Must do" Foods on Oceania

CruiseLiz

I think it is more mental than acquired taste. We had them at a tasting dinner and I tried them very gingerly. They were delicious. Kind of sweet and nutty and different but very good. The only time I have tried sweetbreads, but I would not hesitate again, especially on O as they do almost everything very well.

Mo

Not all livers were created equal!

For me it's foie gras at Jacques (cold or hot) anyday over veal liver:D

Second that motion! (Also, seconds would be nice, although, come to think of it, there is no room for seconds if hoping to make it through the rest of this wonderful menu!:) ) I think I already posted somewhere that my birthday dinner at Jacques was the best meal I ever have had on board a ship. (BTW, thanks, Jim, for the lobster thermidor suggestion; a sublime experience.)

Also, seconds would be nice, although, come to think of it, there is no room for seconds if hoping to make it through the rest of this wonderful menu!:)

Next time do what I did (I am ashamed to admit).

Have 2 appetizers - the cold and hot foie gras followed by the lobster thermidor. Make sure the ship's doctor is on stand-by for coronary bypass surgery (or at least double up on your Lipitor) :D

Do you think if I asked our butler, he might be able to convince the chefs to make me some? Or am I asking too much?

Marian

The staff is very accommodating and it would not hurt to ask; they will do it if they possibly can.

Always worth a try, Marian. Are you talking about the risotto with porcini? This was made at a chef demo on last summer's Norway cruise and it was beyond fabulous. I remember talking to the chef about it at dinner that night but don't remember exactly what he said ...

But if we're talking about the same dish, it's an ABSOLUTE CRIME that it is gone!

Next time do what I did (I am ashamed to admit).

Have 2 appetizers - the cold and hot foie gras followed by the lobster thermidor. Make sure the ship's doctor is on stand-by for coronary bypass surgery (or at least double up on your Lipitor) :D

Oh, Paul, I indeed did have two appetizers there and I am not ashamed to admit it! Is my "significant" birthday a good enough excuse? (Also, were we twins in a previous life?:p) I had both the mussels and the tiger shrimp followed by salad and the lobster thermidor. (I live with someone who does not eat seafood, so I get my innings in while onboard my Oceania cruises!)

Pam

Oh, Paul, I indeed did have two appetizers there and I am not ashamed to admit it! Is my "significant" birthday a good enough excuse?

Pam

Pam,

Any excuse is good enough for me when it comes to (good) food :D

It was always a toss up for me at Jacques - I did like the mussels as well (when they had them) and the shrimp too. In fact, Jacques had so many good options for me that it was difficult to choose. Things were less complicated for me in the other restaurants (although I had enough choices and the food was very good).

Happy belated "significant" birthday.

Paul

Not all livers were created equal!

For me it's foie gras at Jacques (cold or hot) anyday over veal liver:D

I agree. The foie gras at Jacques was fabulous. As a matter of fact it was the best part of our meal. We were very disappointed with Jacques. We are cruising on the Marina in January and I have to go back and give them a second chance. We ate at Jacques on the Maiden Voyage and we were the first passengers warming the sests at Jacques on day #1. The food was cold, the service was extremely slow and several menu items we order never arrived at our table. I am eager to return to see how things have improved.

Marion

I agree. The foie gras at Jacques was fabulous. As a matter of fact it was the best part of our meal. We were very disappointed with Jacques. We are cruising on the Marina in January and I have to go back and give them a second chance. We ate at Jacques on the Maiden Voyage and we were the first passengers warming the sests at Jacques on day #1. The food was cold, the service was extremely slow and several menu items we order never arrived at our table. I am eager to return to see how things have improved.

Marion

I think (I hope) you will be pleasantly surprised :)

They probably had growing pains - they deserve a second chance.

I agree. The foie gras at Jacques was fabulous. As a matter of fact it was the best part of our meal.

Marion

Does anyone recall how the hot foie gras was prepared. Is foie gras only served at Jacques?

Does anyone recall how the hot foie gras was prepared. Is foie gras only served at Jacques?

It is sautéed with a brioches and some fruit(?). (I am only interested in the foie gras myself).The cold preparation is a pate - smooth as silk.

They are both wonderful. :D

Only available on regular basis at Jacques.

It is sautéed with a brioches and some fruit(?). (I am only interested in the foie gras myself).The cold preparation is a pate - smooth as silk.

What about those lovely foie gras and mushroom bundles in Polo?

What about those lovely foie gras and mushroom bundles in Polo?

No, in Polo it would be shrimp or crab cakes for me :D

I like my foie gras unadulterated and pure - it is so good and rich it needs nothing but a piece of baguette (for pate) or brioche (for sauteed) with a pinch of rock salt. It speaks for itself loud and clear - needs no mushrooms or fruit, IMO :)

No, in Polo it would be shrimp or crab cakes for me :D

I like my foie gras unadulterated and pure - it is so good and rich it needs nothing but a piece of baguette (for pate) or brioche (for sauteed) with a pinch of rock salt. It speaks for itself loud and clear - needs no mushrooms or fruit, IMO :)

Paul, I've heard of midnight snacks, but you were really wishing at 12 A.M. weren't you?:D

Marion

Hi, Marion, being only three weeks since my fantastic birthday meal at Jacques, I firmly believe with Paul that you will be impressed with how things have improved and enjoy your meal. Both the food and service were seamless, and the pacing perfect for us. Enjoy!

Oopps: I'm drooling on my computer just reading about it!

We enjoyed Jacques on our cruise last month. We visited a lot of French Atlantic ports and we went to town at lunch eating mussels and fois gras in the ports. We also love the mussels in Gloucester MA so I have to admit I was disappointed in them at Jacques. The looked great but had a chalky feel. I was expected the best in moules frites but it didn't happen.

Mussels vary a lot. Size, texture, flavour, the whole shebang.

I lived in Nova Scotia for most of my life so I do know mussels.

Mo

Mussels in US (Canada?) tend to be farmed and thus larger and plumper; the ones in Europe, available to Marina, are more often wild and thus often much smaller in my experience.

For those of us that must watch our sugar intake:

The sugar free desert, no sugar added selections are excellent.

Available in every venue, all during the day, even the tea service.

The best carrot cake anywhere, hands down.

Thanks! My DH will be delighted to hear that as carrot cake is his favorite!

Archived