HELP! How much is too much for JS upgrade?

lynn47

We already booked an inside cabin on the Legend of the Seas for June 08. It has 172 sq.ft. There are 3 of us.(hubby,myself and teen daughter). The cruise is to the Med. for 13 nights. I am dying to have a balcony but hubby doesnt want to pay the extra. I called my TA and she gave me a price of $1700 to $ 1800 extra for a JS. No other regular balcony rooms were available. I have only been on a 4 day cruise with a small inside cabin. So I am not experienced at this. Could someone please give me advice - is this a decent price for the upgrade and where on the Legend would be a nice place reserve the JS? Thank you all so much for your help and advice, I really appreciate your kindness, Lynn

Personally, I wouldn't spend that much to upgrade but that is just me. I would put that money towards excursions. I would keep an eye out for price drops as you come closer to final payment. We were able to upgrade our cabin on our last cruise to a D1 from an E1 and also get almost $600 back since prices had dropped. I would just keep your eye on prices for all categories of cabins and see what prices do.

Thanks for your quick response "MA"! I too have already received a lower cost. We originally booked our cruise last July 07. Talked with our TA in Jan 08 and our price dropped $700. I have also booked 4 excursions with the cruiseline. Wanted to do cruiseline excursions since this is our first trip to Italy. I felt more comfortable doing it that way. Although, we are doing some ports on our own. I will take your advice and keep on checking for price drops! Thanks again.

"Too much" is so subjective that only you can answer that question. I'd pay $1700 for just 2 of us, but I like to spend time in my cabin, even on a port-intensive itinerary. To me, there's nothing like watching a city slip away as you head to your next adventure without a large crowd of people around you. Or sailing into port early, for that matter. Or hanging out waiting for the midnight sun to set (I gave up at 1:30 am).

Considering that JS are usually about $1,000 more than a balcony cabin on a 7 night cruise (and that's for 2 people), I would say that to upgrade 3 people from an inside cabin to a JS on a 12 night cruise for only $1,700 is a fabulous deal.

The extra space and the larger bathroom would definitely be worth it to me on a 12 night cruise, not to mention the extra cruise credit.

I guess you all have given me food for thought! I will call my TA and see if there is still any JS left. Is there any "bad" JS on the Legend that I should avoid? Thanks again to you all for your help and advice, Lynn

• 2 weeks later...
I guess you all have given me food for thought! I will call my TA and see if there is still any JS left. Is there any "bad" JS on the Legend that I should avoid? Thanks again to you all for your help and advice, Lynn

I am curious as well.

Archived