Which large cruiseline has the best food?

foxfirejg

On an overall basis, I'd vote for Princess, although I've had some amazingly good food on NCL (lamb shanks and cheese blintzes as two examples). We've only sailed on Celebrity once, but with the exception of the waffles, we found the food on the Mercury pretty much forgettable. It wasn't that it was really bad; it just wasn't really good. And not one souffe the whole 8 days! How is that even possible? :D

Went on a RCL cruise in Feb 08, went on Carnival in June 08. Food on RCL was MUCH better than Carnival. More variety in their buffets, dining room food had better choices, taste, and presentation.

The only advantage that I saw on Carnival is that they had nice extras like mongolian bbq, sushi bar, and deli.

I agree...totally subjective. I've only been on three lines. Of those three, I'd ranked them as:

1. Celebrity

2. NCL

3. Carnival

I have had great meals on Carnival...just not consistently on every ship so it's not that they're "last" or "awful." I think it depends on the menu, the executive chef, and how strong the team of cooks is in getting the food cooked appropriately.

I've only sailed Carnival & Royal Caribbean. First, I do think that there can be quite a variance between ships. Even though menus tend to be the same fleet wide some ships just seem to do a better job than others. Of course opinions on food are highly personal.

In the dining room, to my taste, Carnival is much, much better than Royal Caribbean - the dishes are more imaginative and better tasting. On my last Royal Caribbean cruise, earlier this year, I felt that the quality of ingredients reached a new low. (Without good quality ingredients its awfully hard to prepare high quality food.) It was my impression that none of the Royal Caribbean desserts are made on-ship. The ones I tasted certainly had that packaged & frozen taste & feel. I was also put off by the fact that one could not get a cut of beef cooked less than medium. On the other-hand, Royal Caribbean doesn't feel that the waiters have to perform every night, something I truly appreciate.

The buffet restaurants are fairly even. I think that Royal Caribbean is slightly better here. The specialty restaurants are about even, but I don't feel they really offer much more than larger portions, fancier presentation, and a more relaxed service. In other words, the food is not that much better.

Food is so subjective, even among foodies, but here are my rankings for the three lines I've been on so far:

Celebrity

Carnival

Princess

Now, the fact that we had Anytime Dining on Princess may have clouded my judgement, but I know that Carnival had much more selection variety than Princess.

I've sailed Celebrity and Carnival and thought food was excellent on both lines. I wouldn't say there was a clear winner. I actually thought the selection was broader on Celebrity and the food was definitely "fancier", but I would say it was more consistenly yummy on Carnival. I had no trouble gaining weight on either...

My favorites, so far, in terms of food quality and presentation:

1. Celebrity

2. Holland America

3. Costa

4. NCL

5. Royal Caribbean

will be on Carnival ship in August...eager to see how the food is there!

Food is so subjective, even among foodies, but here are my rankings for the three lines I've been on so far:

Celebrity

Carnival

Princess

Now, the fact that we had Anytime Dining on Princess may have clouded my judgement, but I know that Carnival had much more selection variety than Princess.

I loved the Freestyle Dining on NCL...it may have indeed biased me in my rankings.

I loved the Freestyle Dining on NCL...it may have indeed biased me in my rankings.

NCL is up next for us. I think there will be some aspects of freestyle that I will like, but I am one that enjoys sitting at the same table, getting to know other people and the servers. I've never had a problem finding at least one thing on the menu in the dining room that I wanted to try - and usually I could have selected two or more.

My experience has been this:

1. Costa

2. Princess

2.5. Carnival

3. RCCL

4. NCL

5. Royal (defunct now for a reason)

jpg1747,

I noticed you rated Costa #1 -- we have thought about trying Costa but were not sure about their cuisine. We've been to Italy many times and love Italian food, but you hear mixed reviews concerning Costa.

I don't think we will cruise RCCL or NCL again, as we didn't like the quality of the food.

Tell me about Costa!:)

Thanks!

Kel

I've never heard mixed reviews on Costa's Italian food But I will qualify that by saying it's authentic, and not the Americanized Italian. By people who love food from Italy, they have said Costa's is the best among mass-marketed cruiselines.

As mentioned by others, it's a matter of opinion and tastes. That said, my husband and I cruised on the Carnival Valor 3 years ago (minus the kids) and loved both food and presentation. I ordered the more "exotic" dinners like fillet mignion, shrimp etc. while my husband ordered the pastas and fish. We travel for the fun and adventure and not for fine dining but it was still a pleasant surprise to have such delicious food, particularly at dinner. As a proud chocoholic, I loved the desert offerings as well.

We cruised as a family on RCCL several years before that and although I don't remember the specifics, am sure that we 4 were happy. My husband and 14 year old daughter are cruising to Bermunda on the NCL Majesty this month - free style dining - so I'm anxious to hear their food reviews.

• 3 weeks later...
I've been on 3 lines. RCCL, NCL, and Carnival. My pick would be RCCL.:)

If I read your sig correctly your last Carnival cruise was in 1995.You might be pleasantly surprised by the improvements Carnival has made in its dining over the last few years.

Carnival is better than RCI. Just came back from the Eastern Med Freedom. The Lido deck buffet has so much to offer, If you can't find something wonderful you have a problem. Some peope like to complain. We live in Chicago and have been to some top downtown restaurants- Carnival food is good! Of course there might be 1 or 2 main courses that you think could be better but that is the way it is everywhere. 90% of your meals are great.

We found Carnival is a lot better than Princess. Not a single meal or dessert on Princess was impressive. Missed Chocolate melting cake too! Carnival Lido has larger and better buffet assortment than Princess did too.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived