Seattle Q&A/FAQ

SeattleCruiselover

Thanks Karen & Tenn4ever for your responses. After I posted this question, I checked on AAA prices and it was lower than the Holiday Inn Express Website. Karen, we will still take a taxi to the train station. That's one less thing for me to worry about. Again, thanks. Pam

Hi everyone -

I've enjoyed reading all the postings....we're on the Star Princess from 4/26-5/4 Acapulco to Seattle. I think I'm set with the Mexico portion of our trip, so now I'm working on our overnight in Seattle.

We will get off the ship on Sunday morning and head to the Waterfront Marriott to deposit our bags. We'll have the rest of Sunday to see as much of Seattle as we can :) We'll head to SEA-TAC around 10:30am on Monday.

There will be 4 of us - me, my husband, and his parents (they're 76 and 80). I'm considering our options. I'd definitely like to see Pike Place and the original Starbucks. We're looking into the Grayline tours (we love Hop-On/Hop-Off tours), the Duck tour, or a cruise (what's the difference between the "Harbour" and the "Lake" ?). The Underground area looks neat, but may be too much walking for the inlaws. There is a Safeco tour at 2:30pm, would you recommend seeing the ballpark? Do you know if the HO/HO bus goes anywhere near Safeco, or would we be better off with a cab to get there?

Do you think these are our best options for a good 'overview' of the city?

Also - thanks for the post about food near the Marriott - I've saved that info!

Appreciate all the hints/tips/great info. We're looking forward to our visit - even though it's a brief one :)

-- Jennifer (JKC3)

Gray LIne's "hop on/hop off" shuttle stops right across the street from the Marriott by Anthony's Pier 66. The closest they will stop to Safeco Field is Pioneer Square by the Underground Tour. That is about 3/4 of a mile north of Safeco Field on 1st Av.

Argosy's Harbor tour takes in the Seattle Harbor itself, which is in Elliott Bay. The Lakes tour does Lakes Union and Washington, which are removed from Puget Sound and are in fresh water, east of the Sound. It will include the Sleepless in Seattle houseboats, the University of Washington, Mercer Island and various sights in the two lakes, as well as the ship canal between them.

Here is the information on the Gray Line Double Decker, its stops and fare:

http://www.graylineseattle.com/sightseeingtours.cfm/mode/detail/product_id/1319

You have made some good choices and will get to see a fair amount of the city in a short time.

Karen, thanks again for all your help. We are staying at the Residence Inn in Lake Union in a 2bd room suite with another couple. We will be there 2 days before the cruise in May and have a few questions.

1) what would you consider the best/easiest transportation from the Residence Inn to downtown, space needle, etc

2) are there any unique restaurants, etc to see in the Lake Union area

3) would you take a shuttle or taxi to the Residence Inn from the airport (4 of us) and we then go back to the airport after the cruise from Pier 66

4) also we have 1 night when we get back, any ideas on a cheap comfortable hotel by the airport w/ shuttle

5) lastly, trying to decide things to do since none of us have been to Seattle - know we are doing Pikes Market, Space Needle (no problem with heights), but curious on ferry tour or duck tour or anything we should not miss since we have two days

You know, with all these questions, I guess you could just get me to pay for a rough draft of your book. ---- yarby

You know, I was considering to upgrade to a higher star hotel than the Warwick, but now I see that this Hoho bus picks us up right there, can't beat that convenience. . .plus I got a good deal which includes breakfast at the Warwick.

Gray LIne's "hop on/hop off" shuttle stops right across the street from the Marriott by Anthony's Pier 66. The closest they will stop to Safeco Field is Pioneer Square by the Underground Tour. That is about 3/4 of a mile north of Safeco Field on 1st Av.

Argosy's Harbor tour takes in the Seattle Harbor itself, which is in Elliott Bay. The Lakes tour does Lakes Union and Washington, which are removed from Puget Sound and are in fresh water, east of the Sound. It will include the Sleepless in Seattle houseboats, the University of Washington, Mercer Island and various sights in the two lakes, as well as the ship canal between them.

Here is the information on the Gray Line Double Decker, its stops and fare:

http://www.graylineseattle.com/sightseeingtours.cfm/mode/detail/product_id/1319

You have made some good choices and will get to see a fair amount of the city in a short time.

Karen, thanks again for all your help. We are staying at the Residence Inn in Lake Union in a 2bd room suite with another couple. We will be there 2 days before the cruise in May and have a few questions.

1) what would you consider the best/easiest transportation from the Residence Inn to downtown, space needle, etc

2) are there any unique restaurants, etc to see in the Lake Union area

3) would you take a shuttle or taxi to the Residence Inn from the airport (4 of us) and we then go back to the airport after the cruise from Pier 66

4) also we have 1 night when we get back, any ideas on a cheap comfortable hotel by the airport w/ shuttle

5) lastly, trying to decide things to do since none of us have been to Seattle - know we are doing Pikes Market, Space Needle (no problem with heights), but curious on ferry tour or duck tour or anything we should not miss since we have two days

You know, with all these questions, I guess you could just get me to pay for a rough draft of your book. ---- yarby

The Seattle Streetcar stops almost right in front of the Residence Inn and goes downtown, and ends right across the street from Westlake Mall, and it is easy to walk and/or transfer to a bus for most of the downtown attractions. (Residence Inn does NOT have a shuttle, unlike their sister property across the lake at Courtyard by Marriott).

http://www.seattlestreetcar.org/

Unique restaurants? Hmmm......there are lots of restaurants on Lake Union, but the vast majority of them are franchise types (i.e. Daniel's Broiler, Hooters, Outback, Buca di Beppo, Chandler's Crabhouse). A PNW favorite, and more unique, perhaps, than the chain houses is Ivar's Salmon House at the north end of Lake Union.

http://www.ivars.net/Salmon_House_Home/salmon.html

Residence Inn does not qualify for the flat rate taxi from the airport (only downtown hotels). I would tell you to take the Airporter bus downtown and transfer to their connector service, but it only stops across the lake at the Courtyard by Marriott, not at the Residence Inn. So, I would suggest van shuttle. They will also pick you up at the cruise terminal and take you back to the airport, and you can get prices and make advance reservations here:

http://www.shuttleexpress.com

Holiday Inn & Suites Seattle/Kent has an airport shuttle, and their rates are more reasonable than some, because they are a few miles farther away from the airport than most, but not horrendously so.

Take the Ferry out to Bainbridge Island and walk around Winslow for a while (plenty of galleries, restaurants, scenery, bakeries, and other things to see, and a quick half hour ferry ride each way).

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/schedules/current/index.cfm?route=sea-bi

If you are able to be on your feet for about 90 minutes at a time, the Underground Tour is interesting and provides lots of little known historical information:

http://www.undergroundtour.com/

Duck Tour is amusing:

http://www.ridetheducksofseattle.com/

Olympic Sculpture Park (part of the Seattle Art Museum) just down the street from Pier 66:

http://www.seattleartmuseum.org/visit/OSP/

There is a lot more, but it is kind of hard to fit everything in when you only have two days. When will you be here? (Just in case there is anything special (one of the festivals) going on while you are here)

Thanks again for the info, Karen

We will be there on May 9-10, and cruise leaves for Alaska on May 11 and back on May 18th.

I know the Mariners are playing then, but I don't think our group wants to go to a game. Somebody said something about some Curiosity Shop located somewhere downtown.

-yarby

Thanks again for the info, Karen

We will be there on May 9-10, and cruise leaves for Alaska on May 11 and back on May 18th.

I know the Mariners are playing then, but I don't think our group wants to go to a game. Somebody said something about some Curiosity Shop located somewhere downtown.

-yarby

You will be missing the first festival of the summer by a couple of weeks then (NW Folklife over Memorial Day weekend). Ye Olde Curiosity Shoppe is on the waterfront, not too far from Ivars. OK, if you like mummies and such, I guess. To me, it's just a bunch of touristy schlock (sorry).

Karen,

CityPass just put up their new info about the choice of the Sci/Fi or Flight museums: http://www.citypass.com/city/seattle/next.html?id=TaYQVdht I think the price went up since I last looked at this site though.

What does the NW Folklife Festival consist of? Are the other attractions near it still open when it's going on? I'll be in Seattle for over 12 hours before I fly back to Jersey on the 24th so I was thinking that would be a fun thing to go to.

Karen,

CityPass just put up there new info about the choice of the Sci/Fi or Flight museums: http://www.citypass.com/city/seattle/next.html?id=TaYQVdht I think the price went up since I last looked at this site though.

It did...that is the new one starting April 1...here is the old one good thru the end of March....

http://www.citypass.com/city/seattle/now.html?id=ht2ufMrI :)

Karen we are leaving on Princess May 11th... of course there is a Mariners game at 1:30. That being said if we do arrive before 1:30...roughly how long will traffic hold us up coming in from the 90 ? Is it worth it to just spend some more time at TJ's in Issaquah loading up on wine and arrive after 1:30 ? Also is there really a need to reserve parking ahead of time at Terminal 30? Great job on providing info for people. :)

Thanks Tayo

The old one doesn't have the option of the Sci/Fi Museum and Music Experience instead of the flight museum. That was the decider for me.

Yes that has always looked interesting...the last time we did it...I think 2 springs ago...it still included the Space Needle. The Harbor cruise was nice(a little windy), our favorites were the Zoo and Science Center. The aquarium was still being renovated so that was a little bit of a let down. We skipped the flight museum. We are going next weekend with our 5yr old...but will probably do just do a couple of the activities, dependent on the weather :)

Tayo

Karen,

CityPass just put up their new info about the choice of the Sci/Fi or Flight museums: http://www.citypass.com/city/seattle/next.html?id=TaYQVdht I think the price went up since I last looked at this site though.

What does the NW Folklife Festival consist of? Are the other attractions near it still open when it's going on? I'll be in Seattle for over 12 hours before I fly back to Jersey on the 24th so I was thinking that would be a fun thing to go to.

Thank you so much for the information.

Here is the website that shows what attractions were at last year's Folklife Festival, should be similar this year:

http://www.nwfolklife.org/P_F/festival.html#grids

As for the other Seattle Center attractions being open, yes, they will, but you will have to make your way through the Folklife crowds to get to them....

Hi everyone,

I will be on a HAL cruise May 14-21 (rt Vancouver). I've booked a ship's transfer to SEA (my plane departs at 10:45 pm). I'm wondering if I will have time to take a bus from SEA into Seattle to see the Space Needle, maybe visit Pike Place Market or Olympic Sculpture Garden, and get a bite to eat and get back to the airport in time? I'm traveling with my Mom and she would really like to see the Space Needle.

I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts. They've helped me alot with my planning!

Karen we are leaving on Princess May 11th... of course there is a Mariners game at 1:30. That being said if we do arrive before 1:30...roughly how long will traffic hold us up coming in from the 90 ? Is it worth it to just spend some more time at TJ's in Issaquah loading up on wine and arrive after 1:30 ? Also is there really a need to reserve parking ahead of time at Terminal 30? Great job on providing info for people. :)

Thanks Tayo

Tayo: Mariners' traffic will start at around 8:30 to 9:00 am so that people can get parking spots and make it to gates opening at 11:00, and it will last until the late arrivals get in around 2-2:30 (in short, leave early, don't wait late (sorry for the awful rhyme)).

You don't HAVE to reserve parking spots, but it is always a good idea to consider doing so.

You are more than welcome.

Hi everyone,

I will be on a HAL cruise May 14-21 (rt Vancouver). I've booked a ship's transfer to SEA (my plane departs at 10:45 pm). I'm wondering if I will have time to take a bus from SEA into Seattle to see the Space Needle, maybe visit Pike Place Market or Olympic Sculpture Garden, and get a bite to eat and get back to the airport in time? I'm traveling with my Mom and she would really like to see the Space Needle.

I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts. They've helped me alot with my planning!

Plan on 5+ hours for the trip down from YVR, and the bus will drop you at the airport (you could get in earlier, but never count on it or you are likely to be disappointed because of the length of the stop at the border). Bus from the airport into town averages 30-45 minutes if you take the 194, twice as long if you take the 174, then about 10 minutes or so to get to pretty much any of the attractions that you have mentioned.

You MIGHT have time to do something, but remember that you have to be back at SEA-Tac by 8:45 pm for check in. Most of the places you have mentioned, with the exception of the Space Needle, close at about 5-6 pm on the weekends.

Always wanted to visit, so we are staying 7/23-7/26, flying to Vancouver for cruise. Hotels by airport provide transportation to and from but how do we get to town, Space Needle, Pikes, the Flight Museum and Boeing plant? Better to spend more for a hotel in town, by the transportation, or save on hotels and pay for transportation? I have prices on Best Western, Sea-Tac, also Howard Johnsons and Ramada, all reasonable with hotel transfers and breakfast. The hotels in town are more $'s but less and easier in the long run? Don't want to rent a car as we will be spending 11 days in Alaska with a car, so trying to avoid it in Seattle. Any advice would be appreciated!

Always wanted to visit, so we are staying 7/23-7/26, flying to Vancouver for cruise. Hotels by airport provide transportation to and from but how do we get to town, Space Needle, Pikes, the Flight Museum and Boeing plant? Better to spend more for a hotel in town, by the transportation, or save on hotels and pay for transportation? I have prices on Best Western, Sea-Tac, also Howard Johnsons and Ramada, all reasonable with hotel transfers and breakfast. The hotels in town are more $'s but less and easier in the long run? Don't want to rent a car as we will be spending 11 days in Alaska with a car, so trying to avoid it in Seattle. Any advice would be appreciated!

I'm "cheap". I would take the Metro bus from the airport area to downtown to do my sightseeing. The Museum of Flight is about six miles from the airport, and the 174 bus goes right by the front door. To get downtown for Space Needle, Pike Place Market, Underground Tour, the waterfront, et cetera, take the 194 express bus because it's faster than the 174.

http://transit.metrokc.gov to plan your bus trips and get fare info/schedules, once you know for sure where you will be staying.

If you want to go up to Everett for the Boeing Plant tour, I suggest:

http://www.graylineseattle.com/sightseeingtours.cfm/mode/detail/product_id/1318

Let them do the driving and worrying. But you need to reserve ASAP, because those tours sell out months in advance.

Note that you will miss the Bite of Seattle festival by several days, so you will not have to worry about fighting those crowds at the Seattle Center/Space Needle.

Nice to have a dedicated Seattle resource to call on. Thanks Karen.

I've asked some or all of these questions on other threads, but a consolidation of all the queres and your responses might be worthwhile.

My wife and I have booked a Pacific Coast cruise on Celebrity's Mercury, departing on October 13th from Vancouver. Our plan is to fly into Seattle on either Saturday, 10/11, or Sunday, 10/12, and then make our way to Vancouver on 10/13 for a late evening departure. So, here are my questions:

1. What hotels would you recommend?

2. Assuming that mid October is not your peak season, would you recommend waiting until much closer to the cruise before making the hotel reservations?

3. Because the Amtrak train leaves early in the morning for Vancouver, would you recommend staying in a hotel close to the Amtrak station?

4. If you had one or two days to enjoy your first visit to Seattle, what would you be sure to do and make sure you saw?

Thaks again for your help.

Hi, I just booked this cruise too..thank you for the post:)

Hi Karen,:) you helped me twice before this....I have sailed from

Seattle in 2006 and 2007 and will be flying out there in Oct again:D

sailing out of Vancouver.

I didn't read every single post.......the first time I visited I stayed

the Renassiance downtown (top of the hill:eek: )

2nd time I stayed by the Airport and for the life of me I can't

recall which place it was:rolleyes: ...next door was Eleven Coins though.

I used Priceline for both places.

I need to catch the train up to Vancouver.....any suggestions

of a clean, moderately priced propery near the station?

Oct 11th or 12th...

Thanks again:)

PS I LOVE YOUR CITY!

Hi Karen,:) you helped me twice before this....I have sailed from

Seattle in 2006 and 2007 and will be flying out there in Oct again:D

sailing out of Vancouver.

I didn't read every single post.......the first time I visited I stayed

the Renassiance downtown (top of the hill:eek: )

2nd time I stayed by the Airport and for the life of me I can't

recall which place it was:rolleyes: ...next door was Eleven Coins though.

I used Priceline for both places.

I need to catch the train up to Vancouver.....any suggestions

of a clean, moderately priced propery near the station?

Oct 11th or 12th...

Thanks again:) PS I LOVE YOUR CITY!

Lois, the two properties closest to King Street Station are the Best Western Pioneer Square--about 8-10 blocks away. You can get internet rates for about $150.00 per night plus tax. The other is the Silver Cloud Inn Stadium, which is about 4-5 blocks from the station, and starts at about $250.00 per night plus tax. Both are good, clean properties, and within walking distance to the station, should you so desire.

I love my city, too, else I wouldn't have moved up here and stayed....:)

Thanks Karen, would you know what the downtown hotels are

running on Priceline and/or Hotwire these days?

I have always wanted to stay at the Silver Cloud but its more

than I care to spend.

I am guessing any of the major chains would have a cab for me

to the Amtrak station.

Thanks for the advice Karen, appreciate it very much. Are we better off using Gray Line for Boeing, or taking a bus or taxi? Do we get enough time with tour? My DH is a flying nut and really looking forward to this tour, we'll go on Friday. We will spend a day seeing Seattle, by bus or trolley, maybe the Duck as well on Thursday. Want to have dinner in the Space Needle for my 60th. B'day. We love revolving restaurants.

Archived