Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

PD - are you aware that Hon`s is in serious financial trouble and if they can`t line up more credit will have to close at the end of September - a friend who knows that I take my brother there every week saw an article in the business section of the Vancouver Sun - they have already closed there location in Richmond and I am seeing less staff and slower service at the Robson Street one each time I go - gonna see if I can find the story - apparently they need upwards of $400,000 to stay afloat.

Cheers

Dennis

[quote name='Santa2ya']Thanks Putterdude, I have determined that the day before will have to do as there are no earlier flights but plenty of later flights. I would really be disappointed if we missed our first cruise.

I have never used Hotwire before. Can you choose specific hotels or is it like priceline? You don't find out where the hotel is until after you pay. I don't really like that. I would really love to stay at the Pan Pacific if I could get it for $150 or less. But it is far too early to keep an eye out.

Correct me if I am wrong, Arrive at YVR, grab luggage & board Skytrain (where do I get tickets & board?), exit Skytrain at the Waterfront station (last station). Then depending on where I am staying I either walk or taxi to my hotel.[/quote]

To add to Putterdude's advice on the Skytrain, the tickets can be purchased at the top of the escalator (or elevator ride), right there by the tracks. They have several ticket machines there. Then step over to stand by the rails, and board the train. Nice ride to downtown.

[quote name='StLouisCruisers']To add to Putterdude's advice on the Skytrain, the tickets can be purchased at the top of the escalator (or elevator ride), right there by the tracks. They have several ticket machines there. Then step over to stand by the rails, and board the train. Nice ride to downtown.[/quote]

[SIZE=4]Quite correct and to add even more, if there is more than two of you or if you think you may be using transit you can purchase a book of 10 two zone tickets at the 7-11 or the Pharmasave at YVR for $31.50. Otherwise (and I am really going to mess with your head now) the cash fare from YVR into the city is $8.75 each and the cash fare return is $3.75 each, I know, go figure.[/SIZE]

[quote name='cruzinagain13']Hi, my wife and I are staying at the Hyatt Regency in a couple of weeks (good location, I hear) along with our two sons, 9 & 6. Is Chinatown within walking distance or would we be better off with a cab? Also, are there any good chinese restaurant recommendations?[/quote]

Vancouver has a few enclaves of 'Chinatown' now; the old traditional China Town bordering on one of the roughest scariest parts of town. From downtown you can walk it, and if you do, basically head east on Pender Street (do not take Hastings -- you'll be too scared if you do).

If you head to the original Chinatown, for a real authentic Chinese restaurant; try KAM GOK YUEN at 142 E.Pender (you start on W. Pender so numbers count down then back up). Rule of thumb for Chinese restaurants, if there are [bbq] ducks hanging in the window it's real. I really like the hot and sour pork, but there are lots of options; and it's very inexpensive.

Alternate more modern Chinatowns, would be Crystal Mall on Kingsway (Skytrain Expo/Millenium Line to Patterson Stn, short walk) and Aberdeen Mall in Richmond (Skytrain Canada Line to Aberdeen Stn). These two malls better represent the new more middle class Chinese community. Frankly you walk into these malls and ask yourself if you're really still in North America

Hi Putterdude,

We don't think our room at the Sutton Place, on the day we arrive, will be ready when we check in. We have decided to drop off luggage, catch a bus and head over to Stanley Park. Originally we were thinking of going to Joe Fortes or the Fish House on the first day of arrival. We will save one of those restaurants for the second day in VC. We will be in jeans or very casual clothing after a 7 hour flight and 4-5 hours of getting to and from the airports. We don't want to return to the hotel and change before dinner. You mentioned several restaurants in a thread a few pages back. We liked the on-line menu for Milestones and Earl's. Both menu's have something we would enjoy. We don't want a casual elegant restaurant after 12 hours of traveling. We are rethinking it would be more relaxing to grab a bite to eat before returning to our hotel room to unpack. Casual makes more sense. Could you give us directions from the Sutton Place to Milestones and Earls.

Thanks

[quote name='Santa2ya']

Correct me if I am wrong, Arrive at YVR, grab luggage & board Skytrain (where do I get tickets & board?), exit Skytrain at the Waterfront station (last station). Then depending on where I am staying I either walk or taxi to my hotel.[/quote]

Putter already beat me to the recommendation that you buy transit tickets at the 7-11 in the airport ($31.50/10 two-zone) if you intend to go anywhere else by transit; as the ticket price leaving the airport for single use tickets has a $5 surcharge and the normal two-zone $3.75 fare becomes $8.75 for a ticket bought on the platform @ YVR. If all you use transit for is the airport transfer, $8.75 is still a deal; as it's airport to downtown in 25 minutes; clean comfy, roll-on roll-off, and a taxi would cost $40. These maps and photos should help you get your bearings.

map: [URL]http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100934763039761071004.000467645fcda21dd87b2&ll=49.235086,-123.042068&spn=0.153784,0.445976&z=12[/URL]
photos: [URL]http://picasaweb.google.com/vancouvercruise/CanadaLineYVRToCanadaPlaceWaterfrontStation#[/URL]

if you need any other questions answered about transit around Vancouver; let me know. It's how I get to work every day...

[quote name='maryh307']Hi Putterdude,

We don't think our room at the Sutton Place, on the day we arrive, will be ready when we check in. We have decided to drop off luggage, catch a bus and head over to Stanley Park. Originally we were thinking of going to Joe Fortes or the Fish House on the first day of arrival. We will save one of those restaurants for the second day in VC. We will be in jeans or very casual clothing after a 7 hour flight and 4-5 hours of getting to and from the airports. We don't want to return to the hotel and change before dinner. You mentioned several restaurants in a thread a few pages back. We liked the on-line menu for Milestones and Earl's. Both menu's have something we would enjoy. We don't want a casual elegant restaurant after 12 hours of traveling. We are rethinking it would be more relaxing to grab a bite to eat before returning to our hotel room to unpack. Casual makes more sense. Could you give us directions from the Sutton Place to Milestones and Earls.

Thanks[/quote]

The nearest Earls is at 905 Hornby; a block from Sutton Place
The nearest Milestones is 1145 Robson st; 3 blocks from Sutton Place

the doorman at the hotel should be able to point you in the right direction; and also might have some other great suggestions. There are a ton of good local restaurants in that part of downtown.

The nearest Earls is at 905 Hornby; a block from Sutton Place

The nearest Milestones is 1145 Robson st; 3 blocks from Sutton Place

the doorman at the hotel should be able to point you in the right direction; and also might have some other great suggestions. There are a ton of good local restaurants in that part of downtown.

There really is not a ton to choose between either of them but I used to know Jamie Maw who wrote the restaurant reviews for Vancouver Magazine for years and he always maintained that Earl's was great value for dollar spent. Here is kind of fun video on Jamie. link

You may also care to check out the Cactus Club which is in the 1100 block of Robson, just a couple of blocks west of your hotel. link

Thanks Putterdude, I have determined that the day before will have to do as there are no earlier flights but plenty of later flights. I would really be disappointed if we missed our first cruise.

I have never used Hotwire before. Can you choose specific hotels or is it like priceline? You don't find out where the hotel is until after you pay. I don't really like that. I would really love to stay at the Pan Pacific if I could get it for $150 or less. But it is far too early to keep an eye out.

Correct me if I am wrong, Arrive at YVR, grab luggage & board Skytrain (where do I get tickets & board?), exit Skytrain at the Waterfront station (last station). Then depending on where I am staying I either walk or taxi to my hotel.

not a hotwire expert but have used it >10 times for booking & all times suspected exactly which hotel I was getting w/ using betterbidding.com & was correct

at present time a 5* on Hotwire has been one of 2 hotels the Sutton or the PanPacific (and also when it shows the 5* as a suite/condo-- it is the Sutton units that are suites adjacent "La Grande Residence")

things are constantly changing-- star rating can be upgraded or downgraded, etc-- so you never know 100% -- but so far we have had great luck-- most of the time I have been fine with any 5* in a certain vicinity. This time we REALLY wanted the Pan Pacific vs Sutton-- just personally for us- & I knew I was taking a chance-- but since the cust review ratings have been solid for ~2mo i was hopeful & we would have been ok w/ Sutton-- just more so thrilled that it was the PP

Urban trekker

and Putterdude,

Thanks for the info and the link. I like checking out the menu before we eat at the restaurants. It also gives me an idea of the price. One of the links showed the menu but not the pricing. Thanks again, anyone of the three should work fine.

If flight goes as planned, we will be there 3 weeks from today.

Are there any reasonably priced Hotels, within a $50.00 taxi fare to the dock, that gives free automobile parking? Thanks.

I would consider Accent Inns in Burnaby or Richmond that will do parking and shuttle to the port packages, or one of the hotels or motels out around the airport. With some you could even Canada Line into Waterfront station. The Best Western - Downtown on Drake St. does have a Cruise and Stay package that starts at $209 during the summer...it includes room, 7 nights parking, a shuttle to the pier...so if you back out the cost of parking at $15/night and the cost of the shuttle at say $15, it nets the room down to about $90.

Are there any reasonably priced Hotels, within a $50.00 taxi fare to the dock, that gives free automobile parking? Thanks.

The Coast Plaza (near Stanley Park) offers it.

http://www.coasthotels.com/hotels/canada/bc/vancouver/coast_plaza/packages_and_specials/cruise

Another option would as Putter pointed out, a hotel in Burnaby, and take the Skytrain to downtown. The Executive Inn; either the one in the 4000 block Lougheed Hwy (near Gilmore Skytrain), or the Coquitlam one (near Lougheed Town Centre Skytrain) would be good places to start. Take Skytrain (you'll have to change at Broadway-Commercial, but there are elevators and escalators between the platform levels), ride to Waterfront, exit to your left follow signs to Canada Place. One short, one long escalator, and it puts you out about 100 ft from Canada Place.

I appreciate your insight on my plans for the suspension bridge and the park. I will wait until a little closer and check the shuttle schedules again. I will also check on the time we have to be back on board. I think it is like a port stop for us, but not sure.

Do you have an idea of what taxi fares to the bridge might be since that might be a faster way to get there.

Again thanks for all your help.

Barbara

I would double check with the Coast Plaza as it may be closing soon. I believe that it is to be converted into condos but Ut may be able to give us an update on that.

They seem to be advertising it up through Sept 30, which is why I posted it. I wasn't sure if it had closed yet or not.

I appreciate your insight on my plans for the suspension bridge and the park. I will wait until a little closer and check the shuttle schedules again. I will also check on the time we have to be back on board. I think it is like a port stop for us, but not sure.

Do you have an idea of what taxi fares to the bridge might be since that might be a faster way to get there.

Barbara

From the downtown area in non-peak commuter periods about $30 each way.

Barbara

if you're trying to get back downtown from Capilano after about 2:30-3:00; you'll be fighting against the start of rush hour, and the [Lions Gate] bridge goes to 2 lanes out of downtown, only 1 lane into downtown.

A safer bet for the return trip is the #236 bus from Cap Bridge to "LONSDALE QUAY", and then on the Seabus across Burrard Inlet to Waterfront (couple of blocks from Canada Place)