What Makes Cruising Better Than Landbased Vacations??

shark_bait

Would love to hear everybody's opinion on this. The one thing I can think of right off of the bat is clearing customs when coming home. We have taken 3 landbased vacation's in foreign lands since our last cruise, going through 3 different airports on our way home. Every one of them was a trainwreck trying to get through customs. I'm amazed at how seemless the Customs procedure is when leaving a Cruise Ship. Why can't airports figure this out?

I am not sure it is better- it depends on YOU and what YOu enjoy.

I just love the water and being on the ship when we are out in the ocean. Watching the water flow by seems to melt my stresses away.

Walking on the beach doe t his for me somewehat-but on ship the feeling is much stronger-the world is such a stressed out place now- that I have found cruising and watching the water flow by is the best antidote for me.

I know many people who look at me in disbelief when I say this. Some have even crusied and still do not "get" what I am saying. So I guess-not everyone is affected this way.

We enjoy traveling to new places and not having to pack & unpack. We enjoy the service and food with a locked in price. We enjoy sitting on our balcony watching the sea go by.

BTW, most of our cruises do not end at a US port, so we have to fly home and go thru customs & immigration at an airort, so we don't get that benefit.

Not having to "lug" luggage everywhere you go (if more than one stop); always having a quiet place to retreat from other people (your cabin); not really having to decide where to go for dinner (you know what I mean...); not having to worry about driving, getting lost or drinking before driving; not usually a problem speaking the language; usually a different country every day or so; the view and motion of the ocean....;)

I can thinks of so many:

- Really getting away from it all - (television, phone, etc)

-Visiting different places without having to re-pack, drive, etc

-Not having to locate/choose restaurants, make reservations, wait, etc And being able to experiment with new foods and knowing you can order something else at no extra charge if you don't like it

-Not having to worrry about arranging transportation to dinner, activities, etc.

-Even in this age of upcharges and surcharges, many things ARE free and cruising is definitely cheaper than having to pay for hotel, food, and entertainment separately - cruises cost is equal to or even less than the cost of just the hotel for landbased travel

-Not having to take out your wallet all the time or carry a purse around

-Being able to travel with a large group (e.g. family reunion) without tedious preplanning of activities and knowing no one will be bored

These are just a few, but I imagine am 'Preaching to the choir" anyway.

Depending on the cruise length and price its cheaper to cruise than pay for gas, lodging, meals and attractions.

There is something for everybody to do, especially if you have kids. Parents don't always feel they have to "entertain" the kids or feel guilty about the "alone" time parents want/need when on a cruise. The kids can go off and do their thing.

Not having to live out of a suitcase.

Meeting new people.

We take some very relaxing land-based vacations, so it's possible to relax without cruising. But there's something about being so "removed" from everything, and on a cruise, you are apart from everyday life! The service is comparable to high-end resorts and we like that.

One big difference; much more relaxing. It took me a few tries to decide if I liked cruises or Vegas more. It's cruising. But I won't stop going to Vegas. I guess I can cruise on Lake Mead if I have to.

You know, I feel that way. I love all the pampering etc. I gt on a cruiseship-but that is not why I cruise. Even on a pontoon boat on the lake I can get that relaxing feel-and that is what I am most "addicted" to. If I couldn't cruise I would be content with that.

On land vacations it generally takes me 2 or 3 days to unwind and relax and feel truly detached, whereas the moment I step on a ship it's already paradise :D:D and the vacation has begun!

To me it's about not having to worry about logistics once I get on the ship. I get there and they worry about it. I have a nice hotel room that moves around the Caribbean rather than me having to move myself around! I can go more places with less hassle during my precious week off!

I also like the food and entertainment being included and being pampered much more than they do at any land-based hotel or restaurant. I get a guaranteed spot in the restaurant every night as well... no lines, no worried about reservations or wait times.

And I like being on the ocean. It's relaxing and peaceful.

I have to admit....two weeks ago, my first cruise,....While I enjoyed the cruise very much, I am still inclined to take a land based vacation. I am sure I will cruise again, but taking a land based vacation suits me better where I can determine how long I want to be in one location and not feel the pressure to be back at a particular place before a certain deadline. As well, I can determine the iteniary about which places I want to see and what changes I want to make to the schedule. Also, on many vacations, I have decided to extend the vacation to spend more time in a particular location. Kinda hard (impossible) to do that on a cruise.

Not too mention, that most of the places I want to go are either too far inland or would take too long to get there via ship.

Cruising rocks..... if it suits your schedule and takes you where you want to be for your vacation travels.

We love cruising because of the...

-Ever changing views of the ocean and ports

-Pub Trivia

-Meeting so many great fellow cruisers and Cruise Critics

-The pure bliss of being away from it all, at sea

-Strolling by the restaurant to check the evening's dinner menu-

-The thrill of watching the ship arrive at a new port

-Bon Voyage Gifts

-Chilled Fruit Soups

-Spotting dolphins, flying fish and other creatures from our balcony

-As soon as you board the gangway you're on vacation

Jonathan

For me it has to do with planning!! It takes me about an hour to plan and book a cruise. Just pick a date, an itinerary, a line I like and I’m done…..

I have been trying to plan a land based trip at Christmas for almost 3 weeks. Soo time consuming!! Where should we stay? A house, condo or hotel? Will we like the area? Is it the best location? Is it a nice clean hotel? Safe area? Do we rent a car or not? Is it as good as it looks? on and on…..I just feel like booking a cruise and being done with it. At least I know we will enjoy!

Some itineraries, it's the only way to get there. The Caribbean Islands would be pretty difficult to drive to, as would Alaska port cities. I also did New England/Canada from NYC to Quebec. No way you could drive that in 11 days. Upcoming Med Cruise from Rome to Monte Carlo, Livorno (Florence & Pisa), Naples, Santorini, Kusadasi Turkey, Mykonos, Athens, Olimpia, Corfu and Venice would be pretty difficult to try and drive also. The ship is our mode of transportation as well as the hotel.

As a secondary issue, you only have to unpack once/then repack once when you are ready to disembark. No living out of suitcases.

I have traditionally preferred land vacations as you can see in my signature, but my girlfriend likes to cruise, so we combine the best of both worlds.

Have a great trip whatever you decide to do.

I really prefer land vacations as I find them less stressful and more flexible. I love having a big room where I can step directly out to the beach whenever I choose. I like to have dinner when and where I choose at my pace and to have lots of local foods and wines to enjoy.

I like not having lines and not having to tender. I like having lots of chairs available at the pool. I like to come and go as I please, on my schedule. And in general I dislike the areas where the ships dock as they full of vendors and salesman and generally do not represent the true flavor of the island being visited.

And personally an adult only AI is the best of all worlds for island vacations IMO.

• Administrators
On land vacations it generally takes me 2 or 3 days to unwind and relax and feel truly detached, whereas the moment I step on a ship it's already paradise :D:D and the vacation has begun!

That's exactly what I always post on these threads! I was about to, and was scanning to see if anyone else had already said it, and there it was. :)

To me I cross the gangplank and there's an instant disconnect from my every day -- add a foofoo drink in my hand and I'm in heaven! On land-based vacations it always takes me a few days to unwind, and I spend the last day or two feeling the stress build up again.

For a cruise, I leave people at home/work the ungodly expensive ship at sea phone number, so in a real emergency they can get a message to me. Otherwise I tell them no phone, no email, see ya in a week (or 2, whatever). That doesn't mean I don't use the internet at sea occasionally (now that it's available) -- but they don't have to know I do! ;)

I really prefer land vacations as I find them less stressful and more flexible. I love having a big room where I can step directly out to the beach whenever I choose. I like to have dinner when and where I choose at my pace and to have lots of local foods and wines to enjoy.

I'm with Caviargal on this one. We like cruising, we LOVE land trips. Really miss the flexibility when on a ship. Last year on our land trip to France and Italy, we could pick what we do each day, feeling lazy that day, let's just lie by the pool and go to Florence tomorrow. We left our week's rental in Provence one day early so we could spend a night on the Italian Riviera enroute to Tuscany. You just can't do that on a cruise. 8 Hours in port just isn't enough time to enjoy some of the splendours in this world. It's a great way to see them for the first time to decide what you like and what you don't, but then you can go back and really savour them.

Just cancelled our Caribbean Cruise for April for a week at the Sheraton on Maui instead. Cheaper and I can't do moonlight beach walks on a cruise ;)

Ah what is better land or sea.

They are just so different like comparing an Apple to an Orange. Sometimes you want an Orange and sometimes you want an Apple. One is not better, but sometimes an Orange is the right fruit! Others will always prefer an Apple to an Orange when given a choice.

Cruising has many postives like many mentioned a nice and sometimes only way to get to some places and see a variety of locations quickly without packing and unpacking and its many hassles; Alaska, Caribbean, Mediterrean come to mind. Sometime it is the simplest way to do a whirlwind visit. Also as some have mentioned you can really say no email or phone connection, though that is changing. Got no vacation worries with regard to meals and other things. It was for all of these that this time it was no question a Cruise was in the cards!

Others see themselves trapped on a ship with thousands of people and nothing really adventurous to do. Going to the same dining room with the same people day in day out. No flames just a matter of prospective that a couple of my party had.

For me, I get the cruise bug every couple years and it always ends up being very enjoyable.

The apples / oranges analogy is great!

I wouldn't trade my trips up the Amazon in a canoe, staying at lodges with no electricity and no access to modern conveniences for a cruise. This type of land vacation truly is relaxing as there is no access to the internet, TV and cell phones. Relaxing in a hammock in the jungle breeze beats relaxing on a cruise ship! Just as there are places one would travel to on a cruise ship (the Carribean was mentioned) -- it would have been awfully hard to get to Machu Pichu and many other places we have been on a cruise ship. Going to the Galapagos on a small boat, being able to go over the side to swim with the dolphins when you see them, hang out on a beach or pull up to a dock with sea lions and iguanas on it can't be done on a cruise ship.

Many of the "land trips" I take require one phone call and all is taken care of, from flights to tours. There is no extra charge for the canopy walk that takes you 112+ feet above the jungle floor. The ability rise early and watch the sunrise from the canopy is awesome. There is unique beauty and serenity in remote places, many of which cannot be reached by a cruise ship.

Yet there are times when jumping on a cruise ship is the type of vacation we want.... and there are times when a road trip, where you live out of a suitcase is the way we go.

Apples and oranges, diversity keeps us young.

We also look at it as Apples & Oranges, we'll also throw in a Bannanna in there once in a while.:D First cruise was in 2000, loved it and went on cruises at least twice a year, one year three times, up until 2005. Now we mix it up, maybe one cruise a year, maybe every other year.

Cruising is a great way to see many places in a relatively short period of time. Used this to pick the ones we REALLY liked and now are hitting them for landbased vacations. Enjoy spending a whole week in one location to get a real feel of that location. The vibe of these places changes dramatically once the cruise ships leave in the afternoon/evening.

Love em all, All Inclusive's, Condo's, Villa's, we even camped in a cabin on St John. All Inclusive's seem to be the most similar to cruising and we find them very relaxing.

We are Beach/Pool type people and if I had one complaint with cruising it would be being "Nose to Toes" around the pools on Sea Days. This not enough to keep us from cruising, way too many other positives to let that happen.:)

One of the things I am looking forward to on our upcoming cruise are the travel days. Direct flights, not getting home in the middle of the night, and most of all not dealing with the Customs mess at the airport. Oh and we're going to two Ports that we have never been to. Maybe a landbased vacation to one of these places? We'll see.:)

Archived