What dinner time do you prefer?

BonnieVA

Since I've never cruised before I have no idea what to think when choosing a dinner hour. We'll be on Carnival Triumph sailing to Cozumel (leaving port at 10PM), Grand Cayman (leaving at 4:30) & Ocho Rios (leaving at 3:30). We are a family of 6 with 4 boys (5, 10, 12, 15).

On the one hand I think we should eat early, like 6:45, because of the kids. But on the other hand I think we should not eat until later, like 8:00, because I don't want to feel rushed to get back to the ship (if we wanted) when we're in Cozumel.

Hmm, now that I'm writing this out I'm thinking we should eat early ... if we wanted to stay in Coz longer we could always eat elsewhere on the ship when we got back!

I think I just figured it out but if you have other suggestions for a cruise virgin let me know.

If you have kids, then you should do the earlier seating--late seating doesn't end until after 10pm. The kids will miss out on some of the children's activities if you do late seating.

After a full day in port, they'll be more than ready to head back to the ship to eat!

Hi Bonnie,

I have cruised for many years with my three children. The youngest cruised at 2 years of age and the eldest just turned 18. We have always chosen the early seating. If there is a choice of early seating times, opt for the later early seating. (I hope that makes sense). We will be cruising next week and have opted for the early seating again (Now the kids are 10, 16 & 18). If you plan on going to the evening shows, the earlier eaters tend to get the better seats. The only rush we ever feel when onshore is to get back to the ship in plenty of time before it departs!

We've always preferred late seating, even with the kids. The eraly seating is just too darned early, I think it's more like 6 or 6:15, but I'm sure ships can have different times.

When we've had early seating, we have to leave what we are doing to get ready for dinner. Since I'm the mom and have to organize everyone else, that means at least an hour and a half before dinner, 4:30 or even 4pm on formal nights.

Our kids have never cared much about the kids clubs, though. Some kids don't want to miss a moment of the evening activities.

Early seatings would be 5:45 or 6:15. Yes, getting ready starts early. but remember, that is when the dining room doors open. You wil be seated, handed the menus, and wait for table mates (if any). They won't start taking orders until everyone is there, or it seems apparent they aren't coming. (It would be polite to tell the table the night before if you don't expect to be eating there). Then the meal comes in four or five courses: Appetiser, soup, salad, main course, dessert. So early seating 6:15 (my preference) doesn't usually get out until 7:30 or so. What time do you eat dinner at home? And the same timing would be for late seating. If you opt for 8PM, you won't be out until 9-9:30pm. EM

With young kids, I'd encourage the early sitting!

Late seating you won't get done till 9:30 at best. On the early seating you'll be out by 8 for sure.

We got stuck with the late seating with kids that were 5, 10 and 12 at the time. It was nice that we could lounge on deck till late, snack at will and still have plenty of time to get ready for dinner. But it was crazy as the crowds was lined up two flights of stairs most nights, and by the second night we really regreted not getting to bed before 10:30 or so, and the dreadful crowds waiting for the doors to open every evening. Everyone would still do it as we were all hungry. The other thing we were coming from the west coast that magnified the time too as the kids were simply dead tired by 9:30 local time yet had to keep going a bit more.

Eat early I say :D Sure you'll have to wrap up early in the afternoon, but you'll also get that early start every morning too.

We find the early sitting just a little too early for us but we also find the late sitting just too late to be digesting a multi course dinner, so we do select the early sitting but it tends to be the more difficult to get. We have tried the anytime dining option that Princess has and that is the option we will choose when we book with them.

Although My wife and I have always preferred Late seating...I agree with the majority of posters; Having children with you (We travel sans kids) it changes the dynamic of the whole thing....so I think you would be better off with the early seating.

If you have early seating and the children get hungary for an evening snack...you can let them go get something, but on the other hand if you have late seating and they get hungry earlier....can you hear yourself saying "NO, you'll spoil your dnner!" To avoid anything that might resemble "real Life":eek: I would go with the early seating (once again if you have children with you ). After all this IS VACATION!;) :D

Andy

DH and I have always done late seating, but found we were far more limited on evening activities with the late seating.

Plus, as we've gotten older :( we have found that we feel much better when we eat early.

So we're going to try early next cruise.

You wil be seated, handed the menus, and wait for table mates (if any). They won't start taking orders until everyone is there, or it seems apparent they aren't coming. (It would be polite to tell the table the night before if you don't expect to be eating there).

How many are at each table? We have 6 in our family.

Late dining. We do not have to rush back to get ready for dinner if we are in a port shopping or touring. And, if we are hungry before our late dining time we have the option of going to the buffet for a light snack (salad, fruit, etc) to hold us over until dinner time. Another good thing we like about late dining is that if we watched a show during the first dining time we can also go back to see it a second time after we have eaten. You will be surprised the the number of things we have missed the first time while watching a show and we picked up the second time we watched it.

I think with kids their ages, I'd go with the early seating for all of the reasons stated above.

Tables usually come with 2, 4, 6, or 8 seats, so your family of 6 could fill up a table. That makes it a little easier, timewise, as you can come into dinner a little later (10 minutes or so), and not worry about keeping the rest of the table waiting...But don't come in much later than that as it really impacts the waitstaff who will be serving other tables as well as yours. It throws everything off for everyone if they're trying to take you order, while serving the second or third course to the other tables....If you want to eat later some evenings, use the buffet...Just a suggestion.

Have a great trip!

We eat early at home (6:30), so we always request early seating. We also have a little one (almost 7) and he has always eaten with us in the dining room. He loves all the activities for the kids and doesn't like to miss much there.

There are tables of different sizes and you can request a 6-top for just you guys or a larger 8-10. But I think chances are really good that you'll get a table just for your family since it's so large.

I'd go with the early seating 5:45 or 6:15. You will be required to be back on board 30 minutes before your scheduled sailing time so Cozumel is the only Port that will affect your dinner time as with the other two ports you will have plenty of time to get ready for the early dinner seating. Even in Cozumel you can go back on board to eat dinner if you wish and then leave the ship again to walk around port if you want to. Enjoy your cruise !!

I changed our dinner time from 8:00 (set before I started this thread) to 6:15. Once I heard how long the dinners were I knew I needed to change it! I have no idea what we'll do the day we're in Coz ... stop back at the ship for our free meal, eat at the buffet (or somewhere on ship), eat in Coz (expensive!) ... we won't know until we're there. But I do hope we get an early seating & not get bumped back up to the late seating.

Thanks!

Archived