Past Princess Customer Pricing

Elizabeth K.

Just an FYI,

I've been watching prices for the Ruby for Feb. '09 and prices were a little higher than this year but today I signed in to Princess and all balcony cabins were being offered for the same price:D So I immediately called my TA and she was able to book a mid ship Caribe balcony for the price of a BF. She said this was for previous Princess customers. She had to call Princess to get a number for me. I'm doing the happy dance. Never had a Caribe balcony:)

Elizabeth

It sure pays to watch that pricing doesn't it? Congratulations. :)

Same thing happened to us last year when booking the Egypt/Aegean, all mini suites were the same price for a short time, then they all changed to different pricing. Glad you grabbed that stateroom up when the pricing is the same. I have only seen this happen when you plan ahead so you hit it at the perfect time. ;)

:...Doesn't make sense to me, being I'm not booked with a group....:cool:

You have likely booked with a TA who has blocked a large number of rooms to be able to sell at group rates. So you are part of a 'group' and don't know it!!

Call him/her and ask for the lower price asap. They can get it and give it to you.

Knowing this, you can call your TA rather than Princess in the future. Princess cuts their overhead by giving this work to the TA's rather than doing it themselves.

Of course, if you had booked with Princess, they would have cared for it.

I am a big advocate for a TA rather than a huge corporation. Give a small business a chance.

You have likely booked with a TA who has blocked a large number of rooms to be able to sell at group rates. So you are part of a 'group' and don't know it!!

Call him/her and ask for the lower price asap. They can get it and give it to you.

quote]

This has been our experience as well.

Call him/her and ask for the lower price asap. They can get it and give it to you..

:confused:...How can I request it, if he stated that he can't give me the reduced fare? Help!!!!

If I cancel with my TA they will impose a $75 per person fee for cancellation. Which means, it would cost me more than the $100 price drop.

I just searched the internet to find out about price drops and group rates.

One site said that large cruise brokers / discounters buy blocks of cabins at discounted group rates and resell them to individuals at a proportionally lower rate.

I also did a quick price check on Princess website, for the same category, which is still available - not sold out.

Princess is showing $208 difference from my original booking price.

So if I canceled and re-booked I would end up paying over $350. Ouch!!!

Feels like I'm getting shafted...:cool:

after reading this thread i checked the web site and saw balconies reduced on the ruby for feb over $ 200. Called they rebooked me and give me anothe $ 50 off per person. WOW saved over $ 340 just but reading the thread thanks so much for posting here !! First Time on Lido deck for me ..

Have you done this one yet? Can't remember if it's past or coming up this year for you. We just booked for 09. If you have done it, how did you enjoy it?

Yes, we sailed on the Star Egypt/Aegean in November/December this past year. It was FANTASTIC. But the best of the best was the overnite trip in Egypt. Beyond words, it was so wonderful. All of the ports were great, although we did miss Mykonos because of bad weather. :( Just an excuse to take this one again as we always tend to repeat those cruises which far surpass our wildest expectations, and this one did. :) :) You'll love it!

after reading this thread i checked the web site and saw balconies reduced on the ruby for feb over $ 200. Called they rebooked me and give me anothe $ 50 off per person. WOW saved over $ 340 just but reading the thread thanks so much for posting here !! First Time on Lido deck for me ..

Hi and I'm glad it worked out for you. Looks like we are on the same sailing. Since I just booked today, I haven't looked but if there isn't a roll call started, we should start one:D

I'm sorry the price break may not help everyone. My TA who is also my sister-in-law works for a big company and they charge $25pp to cancel.

Sandytoes, the Princess site tends to be the "rack rate" and a good TA should be able to improve on that thru various relationships they have, if they couldn't they would bring very little value to the equation because we would all just book from the Princess site. I suspect what you have is more of a TA who won't go to bat for you rather than can't. If it were me I would sure be taking this into consideration and would be looking for a new TA when I booked my next cruise.

:confused:...How can I request it, if he stated that he can't give me the reduced fare? Help!!!!

If I cancel with my TA they will impose a $75 per person fee for cancellation. Which means, it would cost me more than the $100 price drop.

Can't or won't?

I guess I would take another shot at this...try to speak to an owner or supervisor. Include the fact that you cruise a lot (especially if you have used this TA in the past) and that you have friends that cruise. Where will you all take your business next time?

The thing is, his commission is the same percentage at either price. While a lower price will lower his commission a little, it's hard to think that he will lose out on future business from you for a lousy $10 or $20.

I am not sure about this one but it is not out of the question for you to tell your woes to Princess and ask them if they can transfer your booking to Princess. Explain your dilemma and your feelings of being scr___ed.

While I agree with the 'no posting names of TAs' on CC, sometimes it would be nice to know... (maybe check/report them to BBB?)

If it were me I would sure be taking this into consideration and would be looking for a new TA when I booked my next cruise.

You are absolutely right!!!! Next cruise, I'll shop some where else.

Can't or won't?

While I agree with the 'no posting names of TAs' on CC, sometimes it would be nice to know... (maybe check/report them to BBB?)

More like won't to me...:rolleyes:

I have to say, it would be extremely valuable and beneficial for all follow cruisers here on CC if they allowed posting names.

Maybe, one day, CC will change their mind and have a separate thread welcoming comments and suggestions, compliments and complaints on Cruise TA's.

I know it sounds like a good idea to have a site to discuss travel agents, but that would be like opening a can or worms! ;) One person tells of a bad experience, the TA gets wind of it and comes to give their point of view, and then before you know it, WWIII has broken out with a 'he said, she said'. It would be a nitemare for moderators, if nothing else. I saw this happen on a different forum once, and the carrying on that happened was enough to destroy that forum for many months afterwards.

Then the other side of the coin. We all know there are good and bad TA's out there. But just think of the phoney posts to rave about this or that TA that would be 'set-ups' trying to drum up business for that certain TA. Yes, some posters would be honest in their opionins, others, well, I think you get my drift here?

Plus, just think, the posts from TA's hinting to book with them would be everywhere. No more getting info, just a place for TA's to advertise.

The way they have this forum set up, it is for information purposes about cruises, ships, itinearys, roll calls, etc. That is one reason why Cruise Critic is the top cruise bulletin board on the internet.

One of those, if it ain't broke, don't fix it things. :) :)

I know it sounds like a good idea to have a site to discuss travel agents, but that would be like opening a can or worms! ;) One person tells of a bad experience, the TA gets wind of it and comes to give their point of view, and then before you know it, WWIII has broken out with a 'he said, she said'. It would be a nitemare for moderators, if nothing else. I saw this happen on a different forum once, and the carrying on that happened was enough to destroy that forum for many months afterwards.

Then the other side of the coin. We all know there are good and bad TA's out there. But just think of the phoney posts to rave about this or that TA that would be 'set-ups' trying to drum up business for that certain TA. Yes, some posters would be honest in their opionins, others, well, I think you get my drift here?

Plus, just think, the posts from TA's hinting to book with them would be everywhere. No more getting info, just a place for TA's to advertise.

The way they have this forum set up, it is for information purposes about cruises, ships, itinearys, roll calls, etc. That is one reason why Cruise Critic is the top cruise bulletin board on the internet.

One of those things, if it ain't broke, don't fix it things.

You make a valid point.

Couldn't that go for cruiselines as well? ? ? :cool:...:rolleyes:

Say Pax tells of a bad experience, the X Cruise line gets wind of it and comes to give their point of view, and then before you know it, WWIII has broken out with a 'he said, she said'? ? ? ;) And X Cruise Line doesn't state who they really are....:cool: for all we know they could be a regular poster here..

Or on the other hand, X Cruise line posts, discretely - not asking for a hand out...Just proving a wealth of info, knowing CC is well known. Willing to go the extra mile for their customers.

While it is true that Princess is offering all balcony cabins for the same price, you can still do better through the best online travel agents. A BA category balcony on the Feb 7, 2009 RUBY was about a$100 cheaper for anyone than directly through for Princess even if you are a prior cruiser.

Princess' prices on the Ruby TA very high. Paid only $1800 for a crossing on the Golden a few years back, did a crossing on HALs Westerdam last year for $2200, Princess asking $3400 for a mini. A local travel agent quoted us $2900, still high. We will pass -- and look for a promo in the future.

We have had done a lots of wonderful cruises, so now we look for a good price and the right itinerary. We have time to wait.

Archived