Are soda cards transferrable?

CROOZFREAK

Our family is cruising next week and we want to get either one or 2 soda cards... there is NO WAY we will make the cost o the card worthwhile for us all to have one... so if my son wants a soda and gets one, can he give the card to me, my husband or my daughter to get a soda elsewhere later?? Thanks!

Our family is cruising next week and we want to get either one or 2 soda cards... there is NO WAY we will make the cost o the card worthwhile for us all to have one... so if my son wants a soda and gets one, can he give the card to me, my husband or my daughter to get a soda elsewhere later?? Thanks!

If you were a business owner, does that make any sense to you?

How can I as a business owner make getting soda easier for my customer and still make a profit off the revenue. Oh, I'll sell 1 card and let 5 people share it. :confused:

Soada cards are sold on a per person basis. Each user should have his/her own card. The reality, IMHO, is that some passnegers do share.

We don't drink soda so we've never purchased one. We started cruising 5 years ago and the cards were relatively inexpensive. The prices seem to have jumped in the past couple of years. I imagine that part of the price increase is due to "sharing".

If you would be comfortable going to restaurant and ordering an "All You Can Eat" special and share it to save money then you would be comfortable with taking advantage of the ship soda card.

Personally, I couldn't/wouldn't do it.

I believe that some or most of the cruislines have a sticker that is applied to your shipboard account card. You have to present the card to get the soda. That would mean that one of the family members that has the sticker would have to "fetch" sodas for the others.

Charlie

If you were a business owner, does that make any sense to you?

How can I as a business owner make getting soda easier for my customer and still make a profit off the revenue. Oh, I'll sell 1 card and let 5 people share it. :confused:

Oh, and it's fair If I spend $40 per trip on 1 soda card for maybe 1 or 2 soda's a day? Who's making the profit then?? Are you kidding me????

Oh, and it's fair If I spend $40 per trip on 1 soda card for maybe 1 or 2 soda's a day? Who's making the profit then?? Are you kidding me????

Sounds like you had already made up your mind that you were going to do it anyways, and just wanted to know if you would get caught....

They are not making you purchase it, and in your case you wouldn't need it, but it sounds like you want your whole family to use one card...as others have said, you may get away with it, but it is not ethical in any way...but some people just don't care....

No, that would be silly. You'd buy one or two soda's for $1.50 each and only spend $3.00 per day.

Can you do it? Yes. Is it acceptable? Only you can make that decision.

The answer depends on the cruise line. You don't get a "card" on RCCI or Celebrity. You get a sticker on your sign and sail card. So, if you purchase it for your child, the sticker would go on his card, and you can't use his card to purchase anything. Same if you purchase the sticker---it goes on your card, and he won't be allowed to use your card to purchase a soda. But, like others have said, if you only want one or two a day, you don't need a soda card. For a 7 day cruise, you pay $35 for the sticker, plus the 15% tip. So if you don't think you'll spend all that during your cruise, it's probably better to just buy cans. BTW, the soda "card" is for fountain drinks only, not cans of soda.

• Administrators

No, they aren't kidding you. The soda card (unlimited sodas version) is for one person -- not unlimited sodas for 5 (or however many more are in your party).

But if you are only going to buy 1-2 sodas per day, as others have said, it makes no sense at all to buy any version of a soda card. Just buy a soft drink when you want one, or bring a twelve pack onboard with you if your line permits it.

No. If someone who doesn't have a card wants a soda, they can get it by paying for it.

Some people will do anything to scam the cruise line (making prices higher for all of us). What's worse, is they enjoy scamming the staff out of tips.

If you buy a soda card and know you will only use it once or twice a day then you are the dumb one. :rolleyes: You should be buying them as you go in this case.

The card is there to give a break to those who consume a lot of soda each day. ;) It is not for those who figure they can feed the whole family on one card. :mad:

No one is forcing you to buy a soda card. My wife and I might have 2 sodas each during a week. We do not buy the soda card

It appears that you had already made up your mind what you are going to do before you even asked the original question. But, if your family drinks 2 sodas per day each that's 8 per day total. The cost would be about the same as buying 2 soda cards and you don't have to send one of the kiddies up to get your drink.

Charlie

It appears that you had already made up your mind what you are going to do before you even asked the original question. But, if your family drinks 2 sodas per day each that's 8 per day total. The cost would be about the same as buying 2 soda cards and you don't have to send one of the kiddies up to get your drink.

Charlie

It certainly does appear that the OP has made up his mind and the reason for the thread then becomes questionable. Just as an aside and I am not accusing anyone but in the state that I was a Police Officer, what was proposed by the OP is considered shoplifting. I fully realize that this does not apply on the ship and only give this out as information. Sends a good message to the kids...

It certainly does appear that the OP has made up his mind and the reason for the thread then becomes questionable. Just as an aside and I am not accusing anyone but in the state that I was a Police Officer, what was proposed by the OP is considered shoplifting. I fully realize that this does not apply on the ship and only give this out as information. Sends a good message to the kids...

One word: FRAUD.

It may be a mistake to tack my inquiry on to this thread, but . . . I'm going to try it anyway. Our three children and I are NOT soda (we call all of it "coke," down here) drinkers, typically, although I have been known to order a Diet Coke when I feel like I need the caffeine boost. My DH, however, goes through "phases" of whether or not he is drinking soda. When we cruised slightly over a year ago, I was completely shocked when our bill was slid under our door that last night. It turned out that my DH had been ordering Diet Coke (repeatedly!) at the little bar that was just down the hall from our cabin, and I didn't have a clue. So explain to me how the "soda card" thing works on Carnival, because I think my DH might be a candidate for one. However, if it is only fountain drinks, he might prefer to pay individually for the canned drinks.

Thanks

It may be a mistake to tack my inquiry on to this thread, but . . . I'm going to try it anyway. Our three children and I are NOT soda (we call all of it "coke," down here) drinkers, typically, although I have been known to order a Diet Coke when I feel like I need the caffeine boost. My DH, however, goes through "phases" of whether or not he is drinking soda. When we cruised slightly over a year ago, I was completely shocked when our bill was slid under our door that last night. It turned out that my DH had been ordering Diet Coke (repeatedly!) at the little bar that was just down the hall from our cabin, and I didn't have a clue. So explain to me how the "soda card" thing works on Carnival, because I think my DH might be a candidate for one. However, if it is only fountain drinks, he might prefer to pay individually for the canned drinks.

Thanks

Cost is based upon length of cruise.

At the beginning of the cruise, just go to any bar and tell them you want to purchase a "Soda/Coke Card".

Let's say it's $35.

Now, for the rest of the cruise you can order a "Soda/Coke", show them your card and you get a "Soda/Coke" in a glass with or without ice your call. They will pour this soda out of a can in most instances/ sometimes maybe fountain.

Differences: If your order a soda and pay individually ($2.50 - $3.00) you get the whole can of soda. If you use "Soda Card", you only get a glass full.

Just an observation but when one uses these boards to ask about smuggling liquor on the ship there seemes to be significant support including multiple suggestions as to how to accomplish this yet the OP asks about a soda card and is totally flamed on including being told they are scamming the cruise line, making prices higher for everyone and at one point compared to those that don't tip. How does this work -- smuggling booze is a good thing yet sharing a cheap soda card is a going to sink the ship financially -- just don't get it.

Before you flame on me I don't buy a soda card and as a Friend of Bill don't smuggle booze on.

Just an observation but when one uses these boards to ask about smuggling liquor on the ship there seemes to be significant support including multiple suggestions as to how to accomplish this yet the OP asks about a soda card and is totally flamed on including being told they are scamming the cruise line, making prices higher for everyone and at one point compared to those that don't tip. How does this work -- smuggling booze is a good thing yet sharing a cheap soda card is a going to sink the ship financially -- just don't get it.

Before you flame on me I don't buy a soda card and as a Friend of Bill don't smuggle booze on.

I know that my answer was based on the original post of a first time poster asking a somewhat legitimate question.

Then OP returned with their 2nd post ever to say

indicating that they were just hoping for affirmation of their obviously original intent.

With regard to the booze smuggling threads, it seems that opposition to smuggling has dimished some over the years, just like opposition to jeans in the dining room. The opposition is still out there for both. But, it's certainly not as vocal as it once was.

Just my 2¢

Charlie

You missed my whole point -- smuggling booze seems to be scamming, taking money away thus making us all pay more and all the other things the OP was flamed on for -- wearing jeans to the dining room doesn't seem to do that -- doesn't matter -- just something I found rather interesting.

You missed my whole point -- smuggling booze seems to be scamming, taking money away thus making us all pay more and all the other things the OP was flamed on for -- wearing jeans to the dining room doesn't seem to do that -- doesn't matter -- just something I found rather interesting.
Sorry, but I did get your point. My response was to point out that there are "Hot Button" issues on the boards all the time.

Yes, some are related to the income of the cruise line like this and smuggling threads. Some are not income related. However, at times some themes seem to attract flames more than at other times.

The flamers currently seem to have "burnt out" on smuggling & jeans.

Charlie

Archived